AuthorTopic: (WIP) on 3 animations 2 runs 1 walk  (Read 2982 times)

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

(WIP) on 3 animations 2 runs 1 walk

on: November 24, 2008, 08:21:15 pm
I really need help on this guys/gals I kind of like what I have but I figured before I sent them off to where they need to go I should get some critique and comments on making the animations breathe a bit better.

The top 2 are the same character the one below this is different and is also a girl character.

Offline Ro83rt

• -insert snappy phrase here-
    • View Profile

Re: (WIP) on 3 animations 2 runs 1 walk

Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 11:17:28 pm
Hmm.. The walking animations for the guys seem fine, but i think the female animation is a bit too..sterotypical. How many girls do you really see walking like that? Arms constantly in the air? ( unless they are holding a purse then maybe ). If you want to convey a feminine attitude in this early stage of animation, why not try and change the anatomy a bit. hopefully i'll edit soon, to show you what i mean. sorry but homework is a cruel mistress..

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 12:54:43 am
I know what you mean but stereotypes are fine when the girl you are drawing is a stereotype.  To be honest it isn't my design for the characters to be like that.  I was told not to do any more detail on them and that the guy I'm doing them for would handle all the details.  I'm just making the animations work.  I guess you could say I'm making the bones of the animation.  Other than the way the girl character carries herself is there anything wrong with the flow of the animation or the timing? 

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 05:44:49 am
Hey Mike, I'm a bit new to this, so maybe this will be useful, maybe not.

The first walk looks too much like a heavy march, or an angry walk. I think this is because how far the arms are swinging. When just walking, we usually just swing our arms a little bit. Also, I think the arm moves too smoothly, it doesn't move like a pendulum. Here is a quick edit, so you can see if it looks any better. I only really edited the front arm, mostly on the back swing. If I were to make this walk, I'd swing the arms even less then I did on my edit.

Hope this helps, good luck

Edit:

I edited the back arm as well.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 08:23:49 am by NaCl »

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 12:07:42 pm
I really like the original walking animation. I like how high the arms go. makes the character looks joyfull and actually enjoying him self. NaCl's edit is fine also, makes it a bit more general, but still good. I would definitly stick with the first one though.

the run animation doesnt seem to be working so good for two reasons. first is that its as fast as the walk. should be roughly 70% faster. and also you didnt separate the arms like you did on the walk animation, wich makes it harder to read. it looks like its going halfway thorugh the animation and then you just play it backwards. I think it will work better once you have the feet perfectly diferenciated and we can see the foot's trajectory

Kaz
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!