AuthorTopic: Platform character (updated)  (Read 7684 times)

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Platform character (updated)

on: November 24, 2008, 08:32:04 am
Hello, this is a character for a platformer I am working on. This is my first pixel art (and piece of art in general), so I would appreciate any input you have (on basic technique, anatomy, texturing, readability, or anything really). Also, right now the head is not animated, and is based on Julie & Basil (http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=7403.0) (made a new one). I used the shape of the head and hair, but am working on making a different one.

So anyway, here is the full sheet (new):

I labeled the animations so hopefully they are self-explanatory. The dive happens when you run off a ledge, and there is water below, or when you quickly hit the surface of the water while swimming, you will dive out.

Here is a GIF of the run (oldest to newest):

Diving (oldest to newest):

Thanks for any input, of course C+C is welcomed. I will make a GIF of any animation if anyone wants to see what it looks like.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 11:04:56 am by NaCl »

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

Re: Platform character

Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 09:10:56 am
no movement in the head? if-so you need some animation help because ive seen thread after thread where the people say the body does go up and down

and i think we are in need of this again thats all i can say because im rubbish ta animating

your choice of color, is your voice of color
BallsArt

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 09:33:49 am
You're right, the still head looks weird staying still. I edited the head so it is bobbing with the body:

Does that look better?

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 09:44:26 am
The body is a complete side view and the head is a 3/4 view. It makes it look very awkward. Also maybe try adding hair movement or something? The head is very static while the rest of the body is constantly moving.
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 10:23:49 am
It's cute; I like the colors and the shading. The sprite looks pretty stylized, so not much of a need to talk about its anatomy.

I agree that the head in the walking animation needs to be more... animated.  Like Akira said, have its hair move a bit. Maybe change its face a little, too, though since the sprite has small facial features it'd have to be really subtle. :)

Also looking at the sheet the first diving pose looks a little stiff, though I'd have to see it animated to know for sure.

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 11:27:47 am
I agree with the comments about the head. I'm working on a new one, which I will add some movement to.

About the dive: it does look pretty choppy going from the first frame to the next. I made a little demo to see:

However, should I bend the first frame more, or create an inbetween?

Thanks.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 11:32:28 am
Hey guy, for me her looking towards the viewer when running strictly sideways looks odd; I'd say try making a new face that's turned towards the direction in which she's running.
' _ '

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 01:56:16 pm
Can I call you "Salt"? Or "Salty" perhaps? :P Good username in any case!

Anyway, I agree with what has been said about her face pointing in the direction she is moving.

Functionally speaking, this is really good stuff for your first time working with pixels! :)
The run cycle is especially impressive. That's something a lot of people have trouble with and overall, you nailed it!

To add some polish to your graphics, I suggest you look up tutorials on a technique called "Anti-Aliasing."
If applied properly, it can smooth out some of the jaggy lines you've got going on.

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 01:16:12 am
Ok guys, I worked out a new face that is facing more forwards when she runs. It looks less weird, but I can't get the mouth right. I added head movement from the body, and a slight hair movement.

I also tried anti-aliasing on the idle frame, to see if I am doing it right:

The stripes on her suit definitely looks smoother, but the legs and arms still look kind of jagged. I basically tried to make an intermediate color between two objects and fill in the jagged parts.

tehwexxl0rz: Thanks for the compliments. They're encouraging. Also, Salty is fine, haha.

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Re: Platform character (updated)

Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 01:30:05 am
I've modified the head, to try and suggest features with shadow instead of just drawing them on there. They zoom to about 4x (the resolution the game will be played in) to see them most clearly. I also updated the hair a bit and AA'd her outfit. I'd like input on whether I did this correctly. Thanks