AuthorTopic: RPG Battle Sprite (with paste-on expressions) [WIP]  (Read 6853 times)

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Re: RPG Battle Sprite (with paste-on expressions) [WIP]

Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 06:37:50 pm
This is worthless critique (from a mod? NO WAI) But I just want to express that her expression reads badly for me, I simply can't decipher what the heck she's supposed to be thinking. That smile right there is downright ferocious. Over all the feeling of the piece/sprite makes me wonder.

What do you want this character to convey? Who and what is she?

Summarizing her character is hard to do, but here's a shot:

... plucky, somewhat arrogant, and pretentious; she fancies herself a bright-eyed ingénue, a refined intellectual, and a social butterfly with a rapier wit all at once. She's poor (hence the ill-fitting shirt, and the skirt is supposed to be a table cloth), but belongs to a great family, and feels she needs to live up to the name by doing something that will change the world.

I was thinking the big smile would reflect the "bright-eyed ingénue" part. She's supposed to be really excited, like, "OMG defeating this enemy will put me in the history books!" and the animation I have in mind has her hands clasped together and her franticly swaying back and forth.

So the smile is meant to be a bit unnerving... but not so much ferocious!  ;D

Here's my progress so far. Haven't done too much except draw the form of the skirt and started working on the feet.

Offline Tobe

• www.rayteoactive.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
    • Rayteoactive

Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 07:09:44 pm
Is she pregnant?
Her limbs looks normal, yet with big round tummy.
Does looks kinda weird for me.

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 11:41:01 am
No, just somewhat overweight in a shirt that's too small. Something a little difficult to get across in a sprite.  :-[

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 08:07:18 am
real bellies are much more defined, and you can be somewhat overweight without a perfectly round belly O:

It's mostly the fact that the belly starts to protrude directly from under the breasts that makes her look pregnant, real fat sags more (at least if you're slightly overweight), also there are no definition of the hips, which there would't be if she was pregnant, but would be if she's overweight (it's very rare that fat would only accumulate in the belly area).

So more definition overall, less roundness of belly (study some real bellies : D) and more definition of hips would be my advice for a more convincing and clear look O:!
' _ '

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: November 28, 2008, 10:13:55 am

Here's the latest version: I made her belly look more "flabby", tried working on the folds of the skirt, added some darker outlines, and changed the pose of the arms to match what I had in mind.

I don't really know how to make the fingers look properly linked at this scale...