AuthorTopic: KOS '06 portrait update: 1/13/06  (Read 4937 times)

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

KOS '06 portrait update: 1/13/06

on: January 11, 2006, 07:40:15 pm
KOS '06 art:

Currently I'm pretty happy with the portrait, however I'm not exactly fond of my cell shaded gold scrunchie-like-thing. Tried making  it bright and contrasted like the armguard, on my Dhaos fighter sprite. It stand out too much and just not look right; so I just added a small highlight to keep with the simlistic theme. I also just noticed I forgot to AA one of the hairs in the background, oh well maybe later...

Xenobia:

Eventually I'll add some alt color swaps perhaps.

Dhaos:

Still forgot to remove the highlight on his bicept lol.

Once I tweak these sprites a bit more, they should be ready to be submitted ^^. Anyways, let me know what you think, any comments, crits, or suggestions are welcome.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 10:28:23 am by Dhaos »

Offline DE

• Baroque Boy
    • View Profile
    • LUNE

Re: Fighters, tactics, and icons oh my!

Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 09:34:14 pm
Portrait: very nice. My crit would be that her neck seems much too thin compared to the size of the head.
Tactics sprites: I feel most of them are just plain too busy and "unclean". There are too many stray pixels and needless details which would probably be lost in-game. IMO they'd need more flat areas. From all those I think the slime looks the best.
Items: the same iisue as the sprites. The first three are nice, though.

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 05:20:33 pm
In regards to the tactics sprites, I was attempting to go for a highly detailed psudo-realistic style, however it seems I over-did it and they ended up looking 'messy' and unclear ^^U. Currently I'm finishing up the portrait and palette swaps of the whip-girl so that'll be posted soon. You're right about the neck... we'll see if I corrected it properly once I repost later.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 01:45:30 am
I agree with the tactic sprites are a bit cluttered, but could also benefit from not using pure black.

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Re: KOS '06 portrait update: 1/13/06

Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 10:30:57 am
Seems my tactics style didn't go over too well lol. Oh well. I updated the portrait a bit, so bump! *weee*

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 11:24:17 am
everything looks fine except for her right eye on the portrait.. it just looks freakishly big

other than that, very nice work
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 12:49:10 pm
No, the neck doesn't work still. Too long, too thin, akward angle for the head.

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Re: KOS '06 portrait update #2: 1/13/06

Reply #7 on: January 14, 2006, 03:34:38 am
I think the portrait is fixed now...maybe...wait no... um yes? Not sure if I fixed the eyes, edited them a bit, but I can't really see whats wrong still if anything.  The neck was shortered also; though I'm still confused *how* I missed that. Also I submitted them in the main thread, however if anybody has more serious crits I will continue to edit and fix.

Offline Mirre

• Pokémon Trainer
    • View Profile
    • LINNEART

Reply #8 on: January 14, 2006, 02:09:52 pm
Anathomy errors that I can spot are that the eye to the right (her left) is too far to the side. It should be closer to the nose. Another thing is with the neck. It's too small at the base of the head. Do the tilting head motion yourself and watch what the neck looks like.
Other than that everything looks fine. You have some nice and smooth shading here. And the colours look really good. The sprite too, it's awesome!

instant

Reply #9 on: January 14, 2006, 05:54:24 pm
Seems my tactics style didn't go over too well lol. Oh well. I updated the portrait a bit, so bump! *weee*

Hi im relatively new to pixel art and i would like to know what "tactics" sprites are and how to make them. I am interested in the style and i want to understand how it's done. :)