AuthorTopic: KoS Sprite/Portrait  (Read 3670 times)

Offline DE

• Baroque Boy
    • View Profile
    • LUNE

KoS Sprite/Portrait

on: January 11, 2006, 10:59:06 am
OK, I finished my fighter. But before I actually submit, I'd like to get rid of some more obvious errors, so crits would be appreciated.
Sprite:

And the portrait. Yeah, I still suck at anything bigger, but... it's better than nothing ;)

Both in the same palette of 17 colors.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: KoS Sprite/Portrait

Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 12:58:43 pm

hehe gunslingers with no guns. 17 colours both. Who will win?

I dig the sprite, there's a few problems, mainly the arms/hands. The pointing arm especially is very thin and with no joint to speak of, and the hand itself is too small, lacks volume. Also it's waaaay too short. The other hand is too small too where it grasps the belt. The pants are nice, although sparsely rendered. otherwise, nice pose, good rendering, all that. Just fix arms.

Offline istvan

• View Profile
    • Pixel Joint Gallery

Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 01:42:57 pm
Apart from what Helm said, I'm a little confused about whats going on with his feet (the pointy ankle bit where they join the shoe) and legs (especially HIS left leg which seems to bow awkwardly).

I really like the colouring though, theres some nice tight tonal, lighting and AA work here. The mario star badge is a nice touch aswell. I also like that you didn't make the eyes typically oversized, like many anime style portraits.

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 06:34:09 pm
DE: that's a really great sprite/portrait combo; good pose, excellent colors, nice design. I didn't notice that was mario star bage (till istvan pointed it out), that's so awesome ^^.

Few questions:
-Are those skin midtones scars?
-Whats that 1337 speak say? Too tiny for me to read =(...if it even is 1337 speak *is blind*
-are his lower legs a bit long or is that intentional?

This may be off topic, but I also checked your gallery, you have some fantastic artwork in there as well.

Offline DE

• Baroque Boy
    • View Profile
    • LUNE

Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 09:28:40 pm
@Dhaos - thanks. The letters form: "sh4ll w3 r0x0rz?". I edited his face a bit, though I had to add one more color. The shading makes more sense now.
@Helm - you're right about the arms, I made the left one longer. As for the hands, I'm aiming for more realistic design. I'm kind of tired of those oversized hands, huge feet and bulgy muscles =)
@istvan - yup, it's the "invincible star" from Mario =D And his legs are longer than normal, I like to draw them that way (OK, so that part is NOT realistic ;)

Thanks for all the suggestions. Oh, and I just overwrote the original files, you will probably need to refresh the page to see the changes.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 10:12:27 pm
Yeah I'm not a huge fan of oversized arms and stylized muscle either, I was saying that the arms need fixing to be anatomically correct given relative realism.