AuthorTopic: Run loli-goth, run!  (Read 9916 times)

Offline dock

• View Profile

Run loli-goth, run!

on: November 17, 2008, 09:59:07 am

I'm doing some falling and stopping/skidding animations for her too. Any feedback would be appreciated!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 10:04:18 am by dock »

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Run loli-goth, run!

Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 10:12:20 am
cute :)
i find the way she's looking right the whole time very creepy...
i dunno if i like it or not but it really looks like shes swimming with her arms.

Offline dock

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 10:40:04 am
Oh, she wasn't supposed to be looking to the right, those were supposed to be eyelashes... but I can see how that can be interpreted that way. Oops! Might be worth fixing somehow.

I wanted a girly arms-out running style, so I figured flailing them like that would be better than a proper sprinting style arm movement.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 10:49:46 am
by looking right i didn't mean the eyes, i meant the entire head, well the face at least, her head is angled but her body is pure side view
now that i look at the arms a bit it looks as though shes grabbing onto rails either side of her, i don't think its that big a problem, it just looks a bit weird.

Offline dock

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 10:54:34 am
Oh... but, don't most platform game characters look somewhat towards the camera? o_o I tried to position the whole body as though it was pointing slightly towards the camera.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 11:02:43 am
well, generally they only face the camera in their idle sprites, they might be tilted a little during animations but not as much as in yours.

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 01:17:01 pm
Great animation. Very clean style also.

Her ear is bobbing up and down a lot compared to the rest of her head. Also the knob on her left pigtail is bobbing wildly.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 01:58:34 pm
Great animation. Palette wise, i think it could use some slight changes: the black constrasts too much with the other colors, which have less contrast amongst them, leaving them washed out (this is most apparent on the head, and on the contrast between the dress and legs). I'd recommend either using a "subtler black", moving somewhat towards the rest of the palette (palette unification), or increase global contrast (though i think the first option is best).

Offline dock

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 08:02:55 pm
Thanks for the feedback so far, I'll definitely poke around with this sprite and see if I can spruce it up.

The palette isn't settled on just yet, it will really depend on how it looks with the background. I think I might introduce a hint of colour into her dress.

Turbo, do you agree about the facing direction?

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 10:18:43 pm
I think the looking-slightly-into-camera thing works, personally, it gives her a cute ditzy feel; "Hey look at me going lalala"

Which is cute.

Stuff that bobs do that a bit un-smoothly; for example: Her dress would greatly benefit from some delayed bobbing, think jelly fish movement, every time she takes a step it goes | |, and when she starts to put down her other feet it gradually lowers with an / \-shape. I don't have a lot of time as of lately, so whipping up an edit might not be possible right now, but maybe sometime later.

Anyways, I really like it. Just touch it up and reduce all the copy-pasted-y elements and smooth out jaggies so you have a clean sprite in the end.

Oh, and do post other animations! <3
' _ '