AuthorTopic: Fable 2, Troll - W.I.P, Need Critique!  (Read 13498 times)

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Re: Fable 2, Troll - W.I.P New Update!

Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 07:17:38 pm
The roots still don't look like roots in your version, just curved spikes.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 11:00:31 pm
I always hate to see great critique, like Arachne's, be ignored. Well, someone else other than you will surely make good use of it, for it is quite valid and useful. Keep going, your version looks nothing like the reference and you're learning nothing, but you'll do it ♫youuuuuuur waaaaaay♫.

Offline I Am Uh

• I feel... Saturated to some degree, out of tone.
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 01:08:17 am

While I was planning on finishing this, I'm not sure if I will since it clearly isn't up to your guy's standards.
They say evil prevails when good men fail to act. What they oughta' say is...
Evil prevails.
 - Yuri Orlov, (Nicholas Cage) "Lord of War"
Mother is God in the eyes of a Child...  - Rose Da Silva (Radha Mitchell) "Silent Hill"

Offline Destiny

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 01:50:27 am
Stop getting so upset with people giving you critique. It's meant to help you and help you improve, they don't do it to make you upset you, and it certainly sounds like you think that. You have ignored every piece of advice given to you in this thread. If you do not wish to take the advice of those who go out of their way to try and help you, just don't bother posting it.

Now, you still need to fix the head (its too wide), the brown needs to look more like a greenish white (I can't exactly describe the color), but you don't really need to change that. The "roots" should, imo, be positioned more like in your reference, yours just go straight down, they don't overlap, the just kinda look like spikes. Also, where did the red stripe come from? I haven't played the game so I don't know if there is a variation with it having a red stripe.

If you want something closer to your reference, the arms should be positioned more like its walking forward. The one you have shaded so far just needs a little curve to look like its more behind the body, the newest one needs to have the main forearm (trunk?) bending forward a bit more.

I know you've already gotten so far into this, many people usually have to remake their work multiple times to get it right. Its not terrible, its good, it just needs fixing is all. I'm not attacking you, I'm posting this to try and help you.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 01:52:01 am by Destiny »

Offline I Am Uh

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 05:46:22 am

Ok.... I completely redid everything. Better? ???
Evil prevails.
Mother is God in the eyes of a Child...  - Rose Da Silva (Radha Mitchell) "Silent Hill"

Offline Raytheon

• bepp bepp
    • View Profile

Re: Fable 2, Troll - W.I.P Completely Redone

Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 06:43:57 am
you dont notice there is a gap between the legs. thats how he moves. there is roots hanging from there just making it look like 1 leg
i am a computern

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 08:31:01 am
yeh if you ignore the vines between the legs his body shape would look like this right?

I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline I Am Uh

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 09:50:59 am

Okay, I'm really working with with moss textures and grass stuff right now, wood comes later. (which is what I really need help with.:yell:)
Evil prevails.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 11:31:24 am
Haha, I don't see enough praise going on here.

Yes, changing your style of blotting out shapes has yielded awesome results, it looks ten times better now!

I like the limited pallette, looks very good with surprisingly few colours.

There might be a need for another buffer shade in the dark ranges to really smooth things out though.

To make good texture in pixel art, it's a good idea to try and create the texture monochromatically; if you can make your texture by blotting out shapes that suggest light and shade, you can add more colours later to gain definition, it's a way of working that would go along with the style of defining things that you've got going on now.

Oh, also, don't forget to draw out the brighter parts of his belly, now that you're in the sketching phase.

Also Turbo, I get that your post was more or less in a joking tone but it came out ass-y. Damnit, remember the oldschool rules! Don't be an ass ): Especially when and if you've got good things to say.
' _ '

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 11:48:57 am
Sometimes it seems to get the message across better. Notice i didn't insult "I Am Uh" himself, but his "critique ignoring" behaviour. It's not my usual style, and i'll refrain from doing so in the future.

While the previous effort was looking nice, you were losing the opportunity to grow by studying from the reference. May i suggest that you use more than one reference as well, to have a better idea of the forms of the character, so that you can properly shade it.

Also, don't AA so soon, as you did on the arm "wood holes", leave it to last so that you can add more detail to that area.
It's looking closer to the reference now. I think you will already notice how you're benefitting from this exercise! Keep going, and it's nice that you took critique, takes some courage and character to do so, but pays off (sometimes it's not evident immediately, but it'll soon become clear).