AuthorTopic: Possible activity discussion.  (Read 154240 times)

Offline pixeltao

• View Profile
    • PIXELTAO

Re: Possible activity discussion.

Reply #80 on: February 05, 2009, 01:34:55 am
I really like the idea of a game made by the community. It would be fun, really... but I doubt it will succeed. It would be a huge chaos to manage unless one person act fulltime as a producer/programmer to lead the project, code the game, swap graphics and post lists of needed assets. It is a lot of work.

I'd be more comfortable with the idea suggested by Tobe: A Mockup Frenzy "Create a classic game in another genre".

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #81 on: February 05, 2009, 03:35:51 am
I really like the idea of a game made by the community. It would be fun, really... but I doubt it will succeed. It would be a huge chaos to manage unless one person act fulltime as a producer/programmer to lead the project, code the game, swap graphics and post lists of needed assets. It is a lot of work.

A community game will NOT work. I'm talking small demo here, not full game. We don't have to kid ourselves

Once you start talking producers, team leaders, etc, it will fail without a doubt.

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #82 on: February 05, 2009, 08:24:47 am
depends on the game and if you go about it as if it were the ISO collaboration where you have people hunting you down for not finishing. Say it was a Space invaders or Galaga game and we all create the enemies. An arcade game like this could have infinite levels with each level being generated randomly even. If we gave everyone restrictions like size and pallette then it wont be so visually chaotic. At the least we'd be able to generate a mock up with all the enemies on it or something if we were unable to get a programmer who was willing. If there were to be bosses or even for the main ship, maybe raffle those sprites off.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 08:26:29 am by Jakten »

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #83 on: February 05, 2009, 10:19:29 am
Everyone makes one wave of enemies for space invaders? That sounds simple enough. Is it possible to import resources from one game maker file to another?

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #84 on: February 05, 2009, 03:20:58 pm
@Huzba, Yes that is possible
@Jakten, a very suitable idea

Offline pixeltao

• View Profile
    • PIXELTAO

Reply #85 on: February 05, 2009, 06:15:28 pm
@Gil: Ah ok, I guess I misunderstood. So we agree. :y:

@Huzba & Jakten: Looks simple and fun. Nice idea!

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #86 on: February 09, 2009, 01:54:28 am
I would totally be up for another King of Spriters. I was in hermit crab mode during the past two.

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #87 on: April 19, 2009, 07:13:14 pm
Back on to the game idea stuff:

How about contacting pixel artist, game developer and programmer Derek Yu, for teaming up 2 communities to create a beautiful game?
Tigsource (must be known by a lot of you, else look it up)

They have game developers, programmers, and a nice amount of artists as well but never enough. I believe teaming up with TIGsource for a one time game project could make something extremely extremely awesome!

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #88 on: April 21, 2009, 05:24:46 pm
Silly idea, but why limit it to computer games?

The community could take an older board game and come up with a new set of graphics / artwork for it.  BoardGameGeek www.boardgamegeek.com has a bunch of game images and rules to choose as a starting point.

Or make a graphic set for something like How to Host a Dungeon http://planet-thirteen.com/Dungeon.aspx.  That would make an interesting project.

Just a thought.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #89 on: May 03, 2009, 01:47:16 pm

A community game will NOT work. I'm talking small demo here, not full game. We don't have to kid ourselves

Once you start talking producers, team leaders, etc, it will fail without a doubt.

Unfortunately, I completely agree with Gil here. Just being realistic. A fully featured game is most likely doomed to a stalled out failure sooner or later. Reason I'm so certain, is that I've come to understand the woes of game dev, with only 3 people on my team, and what can happen. Lots I could get into, but don't see a need.

So, something small will work best. If at all. Beware the Ides of March.