AuthorTopic: Possible activity discussion.  (Read 154345 times)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: Possible activity discussion.

Reply #60 on: January 31, 2009, 01:11:04 pm
I imagine a community game to be the trainwreck that is the IsoCollab coming to life to form one big awesome game of clashing artstyles. And the only one who "gets it" will be Conceit anyway...

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #61 on: January 31, 2009, 02:12:47 pm
hahahah, why do you say that? because all the fuss I made about my tile? I still feel bad about dragging that on for so long...atleast I'm clean of guilt now :p.

that's a weird thing about community projects, how they can be such trainwrecks because there's no telling how much commitment or avaialbity each participant will have, on top of the job of coordinating all the people to make something midly coherent. I would still like to believe some anarchic form of artistic collaboration CAN work...if it were just flexible enough to allow for people to contribute when they can and have their freedoms without making the whole thing too incoherent.

Anybody remember the King of Spriters thing? that was a bit glorified for a fightgame select screen, but it seemed to work well enough!

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #62 on: January 31, 2009, 04:25:12 pm
I have a small RPG engine ready in Game Maker, I might create a demo with easily changeable graphics out of it and post both the game maker thing and the executable with resources. Just to see what people do with it.

And yeah, Conceit, I was just poking some fun on your story analysis for the isocollab, because it seemed like no one knew what the hell they were doing and you were like "Oh, I see, it's an invasion of 7 alien races *goes on for two pages*"

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #63 on: January 31, 2009, 04:39:19 pm
Now I think this should be set up and can actually go around and work! Now I'm all for the platform genre, because it's much easier to create loads of fancy effects and animations when not having to think too much about perspective (and topdown is boring!); though I guess isometric can work.

But basically you can set up a to do list and get the game up and running, and every temporary sprite in the game is probaly a brightly coloured block to display size and nothing but that; so if you have that, and post it here, together with all the sprites extracted form the game with a bit of description (but absolutely not too much!) and have everyone state which object they are going to make, it won't be too hard to get at least 75% done in a short while, the other 25% is probably stuff nobody wants to do combined with stuff somebody signed up for but never finished, so at that point the rules and reassignments kan kick in.

Offline Zenobia

• View Profile
    • Zententia.net

Reply #64 on: February 01, 2009, 09:03:54 am
We don't know if it works, until we try!

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #65 on: February 01, 2009, 10:01:27 am
Okay, who has a silly design to post? If I find time I'll actually make it ><

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #66 on: February 02, 2009, 04:31:44 pm
My "grand design" was just going to be dude walking around, some items, some sort of inventory, done.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #67 on: February 02, 2009, 07:11:58 pm
What's the dude gonna do, apart from walking? Does he have enemies, or is he just going to walk around from left to right and picking up items by walking into them alone? ;) You pretty much need to set a theme or age for the world, and a basic gameplay goal to start off a design there :p

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #68 on: February 02, 2009, 09:24:01 pm
Wow wow, that sounds like way more work than I'm willing to make free. If people want to create full games out of it, let them, I'm just providing something that has basic walking and equipping.

I do not need a design document and all that jazz for a demo that should take 3 or 4 hours of my spare time.

Offline Tobe

• www.rayteoactive.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
    • Rayteoactive

Reply #69 on: February 03, 2009, 05:45:02 pm
Erm... so the whole "create a classic game in another genre" is already out of the picture now?