AuthorTopic: Possible activity discussion.  (Read 154232 times)

Offline pixeltao

• View Profile
    • PIXELTAO

Re: Possible activity discussion.

Reply #50 on: January 29, 2009, 11:29:40 pm
Have anyone tried the legend of princess by Konjak? It's a great side scrolling version of Zelda and can be found in the following link.
http://www.konjak.org/

Anyway, this reminds me of something I always wanted to do - a remake of a classic, in another genre. Maybe a side scrolling earthbound/ dungeon style final fantasy and all sort. I'm gonna do it when I'm finally free... who's with me? : )

I love the eye-popping colors and fast paced action of Legend of Princess. It's not exactly how I would have seen a sequel to the Adventure of Link though.

The idea of remaking a classic in another genre is great, but it's a pretty huge project. However, I would love to participate to a new Mockup Frenzy with this idea.

Offline Tobe

• www.rayteoactive.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
    • Rayteoactive

Reply #51 on: January 30, 2009, 10:31:01 am
I'm sorry for not being clear - but, I did mean it as a mock-up frenzy, haha.

Then again, who knows - maybe some crazy coder and artist will actually get together to do something like that. The retro demake was pretty successful both as an artwork only mock-up frenzy and an actual demake of the game. Maybe just create a single level with boss and stuff. It'd be awesome.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #52 on: January 30, 2009, 05:44:42 pm
I think that's a really weird thing about Pixelation, I feel Pixelation is stuck somewhere between being about gameart and being about pixelart as a standalone art piece. We mostly still do gameart, but barely ever stick it into a game ourselves. We do have the jobs section but it's not like the art that goes into those games actually gets posted here  :-\

Our art is inherently linked to programming but it seems coders dont abound...and those who are here arent willing to code up any of the crazy stuff we'd come up with. What's even stranger is that pixelation spawned from a coder board called the Game Developer's Refuge....the GDR still exists but the communities seem to have grown appart  :mean:

;D Anyway...the cross-genere remake seems pretty interesting to me!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 05:49:34 pm by Conceit »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #53 on: January 30, 2009, 06:03:08 pm
Me, Alex, BadMrBox and a few others are still part of both communities I guess, so it'd be nice to do a crossover challenge someday. Get the communities back together and all you know?

Offline pixeltao

• View Profile
    • PIXELTAO

Reply #54 on: January 30, 2009, 07:52:39 pm
Most of you probably already know it, but there is also the Game Maker Community (http://gmc.yoyogames.com/) where there is a lot of programmers but a lack of pixel artists. And Game Maker is easy enough to learn for anyone, so it could always be a solution for anyone with pixeling skills who wants to see his art in a game.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #55 on: January 30, 2009, 07:58:08 pm
I made an easy game in game maker in like half an hour. It's a fun tool to mess around with.

We could have a game maker competition where we offer a few basic games, members can download game maker, edit the game and post it. Should work. It's not that hard to work with.

Offline Zenobia

• View Profile
    • Zententia.net

Reply #56 on: January 30, 2009, 08:10:40 pm
I made an easy game in game maker in like half an hour. It's a fun tool to mess around with.

We could have a game maker competition where we offer a few basic games, members can download game maker, edit the game and post it. Should work. It's not that hard to work with.

Hah I have to learn how to use it for IT at the moment and I am really struggling with it. But I'm on the art side of games, so that explains.
(Feel like helping on my final project in a couple of weeks? ^^; )

Edit: I love the idea of a community game though!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 07:37:17 am by Zenobia »

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #57 on: January 30, 2009, 09:31:41 pm
It would be pretty damn cool to just make a 2D game with the community all together; someone just thinks up a concept and posts it, and everyone can contribute to it by designing enemies, bosses, environments and behaviours! Then who knows we  could actually DO throw it together in gamemaker (I've been messing with it for quite some time now and although results may vary, most of it works flawless!)

Offline Dokozai

• View Profile

Reply #58 on: January 31, 2009, 04:06:38 am
I think a community game could turn out hilarious.

Seriously.
:crazy:

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #59 on: January 31, 2009, 09:12:16 am
Why would you think otherwise =D