AuthorTopic: Alan Shepard Jr's Golf Simulator  (Read 6202 times)

Offline Fake_Kraid

• View Profile

Alan Shepard Jr's Golf Simulator

on: November 13, 2008, 05:28:22 am
In my final year of this Software Engineering program I'm in, I've had to take this easy math class called Mathematics of Graphics & Sound. It's basically just a really easy calculus/algebra course, real bird coursey in comparison to most math classes any of you guys going for a generic CS degree would have to take.

Anyway, after a lot of regular math class style assignments, we had to do this one actual programming assignment for it where we make a simulation of a golf ball trajectory using whatever language we feel like. The expectation was just to make a little graph program I guess, where you plot the line of the equation and animate it drawing over time and this is what most people did.

I thought that sounded really trivial and boring though, and couldn't get motivated to do it. Instead I decided it would be a lot cooler to make a little NES/SNES graphics representation of Alan Shepard Jr. hitting a golf ball on the moon during the Apollo 14 mission.

This version isn't the complete thing. I still want to add the actual moon lander and the american flag into the background. Also, I want to make the ball bounce after it lands as well as add some moon dust effects to the shot and the landing point. But she looks pretty good so far.

DOWN ARROW - starts simulation
UP ARROW - resets simulation

It's multiple layers that overlap with the higher/"farther" ones scrolling slower than the lower/"closer" ones. The sense of depth worked pretty well. This is the same sort of 2D graphics effect I want to use for everything in a 2D side scrolling jet game I want to make called Devils in Heaven which will be sort of like the game Sopwith2 on steroids and with working multiplayer.

The image I used for mountains in the back is stolen from this Soul of the Beast demo thing and the astronaut is sort of cribbed from the one on the Pixel Jam site, I just added the club. But the ground layers and the little shadowed earth in the distance I drew myself based on this picture. I'm pretty proud of that Earth.

Offline Emtch

• View Profile

Re: Alan Shepard Jr's Golf Simulator

Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 08:10:27 pm
And your pixel art is where?

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 08:22:30 pm
DOwnload game and run to see, however it is just the ground plane, and I suggest you posting what this board is about, the art :p

Offline Fake_Kraid

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 09:42:41 pm
You know, I explained where the art is pretty fully in my original post.

No it is not just the ground plane, I drew the earth in the background too like I explain in the first post.

I don't think that posting this here and expecting people to give it a fair shot and sort of get a chuckle out of it was unreasonable. I was going on the assumption that people would actually read fairly short post and could understand English well enough to realize what I was posting. I guess that was too unreasonable for these boards.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 10:05:17 pm
You know, I explained where the art is pretty fully in my original post.

No it is not just the ground plane, I drew the earth in the background too like I explain in the first post.

I don't think that posting this here and expecting people to give it a fair shot and sort of get a chuckle out of it was unreasonable. I was going on the assumption that people would actually read fairly short post and could understand English well enough to realize what I was posting. I guess that was too unreasonable for these boards.

If there has been a misunderstanding, it shows a better display of character to point that out only, rather than express disrespect towards the level of language of the people who frequent this board, and, indeed, the whole forum itself.

I don't get why you're upset at all, actually. And I'm sorry that no one has (yet) explicitly POSTED about having giving it a fair shot and getting a chuckle out of it; though I do not understand why you assume that noone had.

EDIT: sadly my computer can, and I have no idea of why, not run the program, so it would be helpful if you could add the source image or a screendump of some sort to your first post. Thank you.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 10:09:18 pm by Jad »
' _ '

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 12:14:41 am
I'd suggest you reconsider the attitude. You have a strike, it's best to not make them three. Don't expect people to go through hoops to see the art you want critique on. Either post it plainly or not at all.

Offline Fake_Kraid

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 01:44:58 am
Look, I'm sorry helm. I didn't mean to insult everyone on this forum, my remarks were actually just directed at Emtch. I thought that his post seemed like he hadn't even taken the time to read my post which seemed very rude and ignorant to me and so I saw no reason to have to respond with any more respectfullness than I perceived that I had been shown.

sadly my computer can, and I have no idea of why, not run the program, so it would be helpful if you could add the source image or a screendump of some sort to your first post. Thank you.

The application was created in C# under the .NET framework so if you have trouble running it, the problem might be related to the .NET runtimes and so forth.

Offline skamocore

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/10442.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 01:57:57 am

*sigh*

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 09:41:05 am
You confuse me with saying you made the mountains yourself, as well as saying this at the end of your first post:
"The image I used for mountains in the back is stolen from this Soul of the Beast demo thing"

Either way, your landscape seems a bit... generic. The mountains are random peaks, and there seems no anticipation towards these mountains in the rest of this landscape.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 12:58:13 pm
The landscape in front is single pixels, the mountain and the astronaut are double pixels and the earth is single pixels again?
What's the point in that?