AuthorTopic: Understanding Great Composition  (Read 2661 times)

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Understanding Great Composition

on: November 14, 2008, 10:21:14 pm
Usually when I do art its just characters but lately I've been getting really interested in composition and how to make a complete picture that tells a story and generally feels good to look at.
Unfortunately while searching for information they generally all tell me the same things but rarely give me any examples. I know a lot of you guys here are knowledgeable in many techniques of art and know a lot of classic and iconic pieces so I was wondering if anyone has some outstanding example of great composition Modern or Classic. Possibly methods you use when creating a picture.

I remember reading recently about Phi and the Rule of thirds some where here which I've used a couple times but haven't created anything I'm pleased with yet.

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Re: Understanding Great Composition

Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 10:37:38 pm
That may a bit different from what you're looking for, but  http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110809 (scoll down) could be a good read for you.

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Re: Understanding Great Composition

Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 11:23:12 pm
This is great, thank you!! This is better than I expected because it talks about all aspects of composition, something I was aware of but haven't really been mindful of. It's already inspired me to make some great sketches. Some of the pictures there are quite awe inspiring. I also just think of other ways to use each of the same elements for use in say character design. This was so suddenly inspirational to me. lol

What happened there actually what I was hoping would break out in this thread here XD
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 11:36:47 pm by Jakten »