AuthorTopic: Run Cycle, Help appriciated.  (Read 4159 times)

Offline Chaos Tayoko

• Pixel Ninja!
    • View Profile
    • Tayoko's Website

Run Cycle, Help appriciated.

on: November 11, 2008, 06:10:37 am

Seems to be choppy and like, not very run-like.  Indigo pointed out its missing "weight" Not entirely sure how to solve this though.
Who's is a cheap, reliable Artist? Me!
http://tayokoart.com

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile
    • Trevor Dunbar's website

Re: Run Cycle, Help appriciated.

Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 10:46:37 am
Looks more like a brisk walk to me.

make the legs when they move in front come out more, almost to the point where they couldn't bend at the knee anymore.

Also make it so his body leaves the ground entirely for a frame or two.

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 01:10:59 pm
Six frames is not much so you should consider not making them mirror each other in pairs of two. Try mixing it up a bit. The bounce you've got there breaks the mirror pattern but it gives him a limp.
You can lower the head on the catch frames 2 and 5 (running is a falling motion and on these frames the weight is caught on the front leg) and raise the head on the frames 3 and 6 (where he thrusts forward).

On frame 2 remove the purple arm. It makes it look like he has a third arm.

On frame 2 and 5 lift the back foot so that only the toe touch ground. Don't lift if from the ground, make sure it touches, contact is important.
Remember that the foot should move along the floor at a constant speed, not halt in the back position like it does now.

You can also try to lean him a bit forward.

In the straight on run consider everything you've done in the side-view animation. If his head bobs in one it should bob in the other.
If his arm go up towards his chest in one of them it should be mirrrored in the other one.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 07:10:49 pm
Heavy legs? Kicked foreward with a delay as if alot of force is required, then falls down really fast. Excessive arm movement at that. Some people do run with their arms up in front of their torso/neck like that but they don't swing the arm all the way down, most movement is in the shoulder there. So yeah, no offense but you're getting quite close to a moonwalk feeling here. I recommand you looking at people walking more, and also look at some cartoons as they are generally overdriven, but let you notice movement detail you normally wouldn't think of because they're too subtle in everyday motion.

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 11:17:03 pm
Being someone who sucks at run animations myself, I've studied some videos, and I think why this(the side view one) looks like power walking instead of running is because of the kick it has at the end. That's more for walking, not running. When running, your feet seldom go / but more < , if you know what I mean.

The arms also are more suited to walking. When running, your arms are usually at an angle, never spread out, because that could indicate being relaxed, and therefore better suited to walking.

And yes, I was running back and forth to the kitchen while typing this.  :D
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 10:33:40 am
you shouldn't bend the arms so much. I mean, they can be bent, but the angle shouldnt change so much. get your self on a thread mill and filme it! :)
if you bend the arms so much, it looks like the character is trying to walk fast in small steps and he is using the arms for slowing down.
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 11:40:11 am
As long as he is not off the ground in at least one frame (per step) it is not a run.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 08:22:00 pm
That's more for walking, not running. When running, your feet seldom go / but more < , if you know what I mean.

I disagree, there should always be a frame where the heel hits the ground. Heelstrike FTW!

The moonwalk-iness comes from the foot stopping for a frame at the back when it's supposed to leave the ground.
If that frame is changed so that only the toe touches the ground it will look alot better.