AuthorTopic: I'm making a paint program, so useful tools, ideas and features required please  (Read 156482 times)

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant
There are no slider arrows, but you can step through with mouse wheel or spinbox.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile
AI: Thanks for explaining that in more detail. I didn't realise about the interpolation part being so important. One question, do you picks pen 0 with left mouse button and pen 1 with the right mouse button?
If you are talking about my current workflow, I pick pen 0 with ctrl-leftclick. If i want to pick pen 1, I use the 'swap colors' shortcut then ctrl-click (I've bound it to the key next to the key which is bound to interpolation.). The swap key is important in this, cause it allows me to correct when i go too far. In conjunction with eyedropping, I can use this to quickly mix any number of colors in virtually any proportion. This dialog is designed to provide the same abilities in a more immediately approachable way.
(although, Skalle agreed to test my software, and he was surprised how natural and simple the interpolate + swap colors teaming is. I really look forward to when I get all my ducks lined up to release GPixMint.)

The issue I have with that is it would mean it would make it more complicated to select a colour when you naturally have two pens to draw with (or 4 in my case).
it's actually designed for 2 pens. I didn't try to adapt it for 4 because I don't understand how 4 pens is going to work, really.
I thought for instance in color selectors, you would have to use leftclick, rightclick, shift-leftclick and shift-rightclick to select the color for different pens, and this would have to be global throughout color selectors?

I take it you click on the slider and that becomes the new value/colour. Does this mean you can't have precise control over the values? I.e. there are no slider arrows..?
On the rare occasion I use it, i 'current position' indicator. You can click, that does indeed become the new value/color.
You can also enter numbers directly for each channel or use the up/down buttons next to them.
(though personally, if I want precise control I tend to end up entering a hex color)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 01:16:43 pm by Ai »
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Is there any chance you will have a test Java/Python app online so I can test your colour dialog idea? (I don't have GIMP)
It's hard to visualise without using it I guess. :)

Thanks for the info on the colour sliders guys..

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile
Is there any chance you will have a test Java/Python app online so I can test your colour dialog idea? (I don't have GIMP)
It's hard to visualise without using it I guess. :)
Nope (i don't even have an offline one. I only have the current implementation which doesn't use a dialog at all.)
The best I can do is making a video of my current usage. I don't know anything much about java, and python cannot be used in an 'interactive application' sense online. Of course I can make a mockup application, it would be in Python with PyGTK and run offline.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Please don't go to any unneccessary effort on my behalf! I just wondered if there was already something available.. :)

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
If you are only using 128 or less colours, you can alter the palette size so the entries are still square and still have a colour view to select from:

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Hmmm... One problem with the previous varient is that the palette area does seem a little big, and it does take up a little bit more GUI space vertically than I would liked.

Now if I shrank the palette area by 32 pixels, then I could push the pens to the right, put the sliders on the top, which would make it look a bit more symmetrical horizontally and save about 64 pixels. The only issue is that even with the palette gridlines off it starts to get a bit cramped in half/half mode..

Here's a rough image of what it would be like:

Thoughts on which works best so far?

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant
At that size it's the same as the GGale palette which is usable but I certainly wouldn't go any smaller.

The half-size palette (how often does a pixel-artist use full 256 colours after all?) with full-size swatches looks fine.

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
I take it you are referring to the last pics Surt?

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant
First comment is in regards to the latest, second comment could go with either.