AuthorTopic: I'm making a paint program, so useful tools, ideas and features required please  (Read 156461 times)

Offline 9_6

• View Profile
Looks quite useable already.
I didn't read all posts here so I don't know if it's already implemented but how about a 100% preview like in graphics gale?
If you do animation it could also play all frames in an endless loop which is graphics gales best feature imo.

Also can you move the canvas outside of the window kinda like in the newer photoshops when in fullscreen mode?
Life gets so much easier if you can and -at least it looks like that- it's easy to implement...

Also pressing space should be the hotkey for the picture mover.
The lack of that (you couldn't even map it to space since it has to be that useless menu) and the movement which is restricted to the window is what makes graphics gale feel kinda retarded compared to photoshop...
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant
  • Eyedropper mode #1 - click on pen box, then either on the palette or the canvas to set that pen to a new colour. Right mouse button cancels.
So it is blocking? Don't like the sound of that. Wouldn't it be better to have an active "pen box" on which various actions are performed, such as pick-to-active, (it's still modal, but at least it isn't modal and blocking) and how else are you going to use the colour sliders for different "pen boxes"?

Otherwise it's looking and sounding quite nice.

That I disagree with. While its extra size is convient as a result of it the space-bar has the down side of extra springs to push against and a generally poor feel which makes any other key a better candidate IMHO (I hate games that use space for fire, or platformers that use it for jump). Customisability would satisfy both opinions for better goodness.
The lack of that (you couldn't even map it to space since it has to be that useless menu) and the movement which is restricted to the window is what makes graphics gale feel kinda retarded compared to photoshop...
That I agree with. Similarly strokes being restricted to the view area has a good share of retardedness.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 05:05:12 am by surt »

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
9_6:

You will have various 'split' window options with each having it's own zoom setting (as in promotion)
Also can you move the canvas outside of the window kinda like in the newer photoshops when in fullscreen mode?
I've not seen the latest photoshops, but you can move the canvas outside of the window at the moment (if it's completely out you can't move it any further away from the start)

All hotkeys will be (when implemented) user-definable.

Surt:

It's only blocking in that you can't draw or select a colour without the eyedropper functionality being used. You can still use all the tools, sliders change to different tool optionsm etc.. Is that what you meant? Are you talking about having a seperate pen colour for colour option settings (and not pen 1?)

As for the scrolling issue:
Bear in mind that at the moment you can hold down the middle mouse button and move the mouse to scroll the view (This works in all drawing operations too).

Offline 9_6

• View Profile
That I disagree with. While its extra size is convient as a result of it the space-bar has the down side of extra springs to push against and a generally poor feel which makes any other key a better candidate IMHO (I hate games that use space for fire, or platformers that use it for jump). Customisability would satisfy both opinions for better goodness.
Do you use graphic programs?
Almost all of them do that and you get used to it pretty quick.

Hell, even simple oekaki programs have space=scrolling.
While I agree with you that space is not the best key to map jumping in a precision jumping game to (although it works just fine in any egoshooter) it's pretty much standard for scrolling in graphic programs.
If I wanna move the picture up, I keep space pressed and just drag that thing up. Nothing wrong with space here.

All hotkeys will be (when implemented) user-definable.
Another detail that might be worth mentioning would be that the previously used tool should be automatically selected once the scrolling-button is released so you would not have to press space *scroll* b *draw* space *scroll* b*draw* e*erase* etc. all the time.
I know it's canon and you're probably already doing it but if you don't, things become tedious.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 03:55:30 pm by 9_6 »
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
You won't have to press another key to re-select a draw tool after scrolling.. ;)

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
I'm going out tonight, so it would be good if some of the many people who read this thread :P.. would help with ideas, features and maybe even better fonts and icons!
SHOCK HORROR.. ;)

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Well! Looks like I'll have to do everything on my own..  :P

Here's the start of the Grid options. You can currently set different sizes, turn it on or off and the lined grid will appear instead of whatever transparent colour is set (need to make this selectable). You can load and save images and the grid isn't saved, but is there to help with sprites/tiles.

Still need to add checked grid, snap to grid, fit to grid, etc.. But it's workable already to a certain extent.
(MODS: If this is too big, please change to a link.. It displays fine here for me with sliders, but not sure of the policy.. Thanks!)

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW
id suggest an option for a more minimalized gui, something more compact(to save screen real-estate for the actual canvas)(smaller icons), with options of hiding/revealing different pieces of the gui. maybe mousing over something reveals a dropdown menu type thing for stuff..
for example, brush sizes could be reduced to one button which when hovered over reveals the choices.. same with the grid options, etc.. and the botton you hover over could change to show the current choice etc..
i dont know if these have been mentioned before

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Sorry Alex, it's a little late to try to redesign the whole GUI now. The whole design is built around a fixed width vertical panel which has different sections for different tools and options. I hear what you are saying about expanding buttons, but it wouldn't fit in with the design style IMHO when I have the space available to have a seperate icon for a different tool/option.

The icons might be bigger than normal, but when I compare it to Photoshop with all the layer/palette windows options open I think isn't that bad!

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW
well, i dont see the advantage of having it larger just for the sake of it. there are plenty of reasons a minimal non-obtrusive gui would be preferable and better.
this is the new approach nowadays. having it clunky as yours just makes it feel outdated and ameteur.

edit: also, you should expect the user interface to change as you develop a program such as this. its not possible to predict how exactly it should be in the beginning. so having the attitude that its too much of a hassle to change it now isnt good in my opniion, course  this is your project, so you;re free to do it how you want. im just giving my opinion.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 09:28:22 pm by Alex Hanson-White »