AuthorTopic: I'm making a paint program, so useful tools, ideas and features required please  (Read 156435 times)

Offline television

• - ears
    • View Profile
Yeah, I didn't really expect you to be able to do something like that. (Regardless, this is turning out to be very awesome)

How about a "preview" of your piece when you're zoomed in instead?

« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 09:25:17 pm by television »

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile
The only way to do that easily, is having it opensource ;P

Being able to use transform functions more advanced than scale and rotate would be awesome. To skew images would be really nice!
Pleaaase make sure all these features have direct input options. Recently been doing stuff in flash, and skewing something at exacatly 45 degrees was a hell to do (about 20 tries on a super zoomed in level per object)

Don't double post uselessly. Use the edit button instead. - Panda
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 02:17:28 pm by Panda »

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
A bit tired tonight, but getting some work done on making the image loading work in a cleaner (and proper) way.

If I can get that working then I'll add save (using existing loaded images filepath), to enable basic loading, editing and saving.

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Ok!

After some very strange corruption issues due to errors in the engine's save bmp code, it is now working! You can load 8-bit uncompressed BMP's, edit and save them.
This was more complicated because previously the load was converting the image to a true colour format, so palette info was lost. Also the save flattens all the layers, so it's more complicated than just outputting from one image. :)

But load and save (albeit limited) makes it feel more like a proper paint program now! :D

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Mostly doing Christmas shopping and wrapping today.. ;)

However I did get time to fix a few bugs, disable canvas clipping to edges which improves zooming and makes scrolling less constrained.
Improved smoothness of zooming.

Added more flexible text gui elements for use with scrollbars, sliders, variable displays, etc..

I still need to work on scrollbars (hate gui stuff!), and perhaps adding basic RGB sliders for the colour palette options should be next?
What do you think?
:)

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Added RGB sliders in color options (tool options for color icon). You can move them left and right and they move position and the value to the right changes, but they don't actually do anything with regard to a color change at the moment.

I won't have room to have sliders for all the colour spaces, but I do like it where you can see both RGB and HSV at once, so what I'm currently thinking of is having RGB + Additional colour space which you can set (HSV, LAB, etc..)

What do you think?
:)

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant
Quote from: happymonster
I still need to work on scrollbars (hate gui stuff!)
Personally, I would drop scroll bars altogether.
While they do provide a visual indication of the view's position in the canvas they don't naturally work with a panning beyond the canvas edge or a rotatable, tilling or unbounded canvas, if plan to use any of those. The user should know their image enough to have an idea of where they are based on the view anyway.
If you plan to have a preview pane, then that can beter provide the view positioning info anyway.
Mouse panning strikes me as more natural and comfortable.

Quote from: happymonster
I won't have room to have sliders for all the colour spaces, but I do like it where you can see both RGB and HSV at once, so what I'm currently thinking of is having RGB + Additional colour space which you can set (HSV, LAB, etc..)
That sounds quite sufficient to me, so long as the colour can be easily tweaked in-between strokes.

The colour icon doesn't look too informative, maybe the tried-and-true ye-olde-days wooden palette? Also, you misspelt colour.  :P
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 09:08:52 pm by surt »

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Hi Surt,

I can see what you mean about the scroll bars, but since I need sliders for things like RGB/HSV then I might as well use them as well so other people feel more comfortable.

I agree the colour icon doesn't look great, I tried doing a normal wooden palette design but couldn't come up with anything I liked.. Want to give it a go (2 colours, 32 x 32 pixels)? ;)

I am british so 'colour' is the natural spelling to me, however the engine has color (american authors!) and so I'm trying to stick with the american spelling to avoid typo errors in the code!

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Ok, RGB sliders now update the colour in the palette, in the pen colour boxs, and in the image.

Unfortunately updating in the image is very slow at the moment, I need to try to optimise the getpixel layers function..

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Optimised color changing in image dramatically. The greater the area to change the slower it is, but on my average PC it changes a 1024 x 1024 area at around 15 fps (roughly). Most colour changes will be for much smaller areas and so will effectively be real time.