AuthorTopic: I'm making a paint program, so useful tools, ideas and features required please  (Read 156452 times)

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Surt: Thanks a lot! That's given me a few good ideas. I suppose that extra row won't encroach on the canvas area too much.. I'll have to think about this! :)
I appreciate you taking the time to make a mockup for me. Thank you.

TrevoriuS: If I use an external palette for the GUI you will be able to set the colours however you want..

Jad: Good idea. :)

I've been a bit under the weather this week, but just starting to feel better. In the mine time I have updated and uploaded the ideas spreadsheet to reflect some of the tools that are planned and some that are already done:
http://www.funkemunke.com/ideas.xls

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT
it looks pretty good. but I have to admit it'd be a pretty big adjustment if I cant switch between windows while working on this....

I have a suggestion for something like the tile thing that was already said, but from an angle of animation.

the idea is simply to handle tiles somewhat like the "objects" in flash, so that if you for example have the sprite's head which will repeat troughout his run sequence, it wont be stored 5 times, instead it will be the same head, and if you change it in one frame it gets updated in all the others.

make any sense?

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
When you say windows, do you mean between this and other programs? Because it will run in windowed mode..

If you mean between other images, then you will be able to change the main view to different images ala Promotion.

If you mean true multiple windows in one canvas then that is a bit more tricky!

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Yesterday I sat down and got the first part of the image/layer system implemented. Low level pointer work in C is not my thing (I'm more of a idea guy), but after some frustration I got it working ok. I've updated the ideas.xls file.

I need to get the second half of the layer system working, then I can work on the layer options gui section at some point..

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
A lot more of the layer system now in. Will have to start thinking about the design of the layer system soon..
Have a good night everyone! :)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT
I meant between urs and other programs...I'd be just fine  :D (I hope!)

it's awesome that you got this going and are consistant about it.....I wish I could lend you some programming muscle. Would it be totally weird to go to random oldschool/indy game forums to ask for help ? I remember very clearly MadGarden had an idea for a pixelart program project of his own (he wanted to employ vectors in a pro-pixeling way...and I have to say the idea sounded pretty cool)) maybe you can grab him off GDC or something....?

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Thanks!

I'm happy to work on this myself, I've never had much luck from trying to work with other people.
When it's a bit futher along perhaps people could help with the icons, fonts and palettes though!

Right, off to work..

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
More progress made today. It's starting to come together now. However, I am kind of designing things on the go so some parts will surely change. I'm still moving main tools around and things like that.

I am leaning towards putting the tools in a external data file so that it's easier to customise things (and cleaner code wise). Of couse, it won't be totally customisable because the tool icons still need to call certain internal functions, but it should help. That will be a bit of work though, so not doing that quite yet.

So much to do! :)

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
* Added basic ACO (photoshop palette) loading from the palette tool options (as long as the palette data is in the RGB colorspace).

I'm going to look at using an external palette (probably from an image file so people can play with the colours in the image) for the gui next.

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Ok, I'll be using something like this:

Which you can play with the palette for and that will affect the palette used in the program when it's loaded.

NOTE: The icon colours here are at the brightest (the highlight on the icons), the base colours and the shadow shade will naturally be darker. The colour is also added to the underlying panel gui colour (part of the emboss process).

I'd add more colours and image bits as the program develops. Please feel free to play with this and see if it works ok or not..

Thanks,
Richard