AuthorTopic: I'm making a paint program, so useful tools, ideas and features required please  (Read 156458 times)

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Well, the icons will probably just be tiles in one large PNG image, so there would be nothing to stop people from doing better versions than what I am able to do.
The same goes for the font (although the sizes will be fixed).

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Ok, what about this. The colours used at the moment are not hardcoded, but stored in a internal colour palette. If I make that external using normal palette load/save .PAL formats then people can use different colour schemes at will. Throw in a couple of background gui colours and they could alter the background elements too.

In that case, would anyone like to help with a mockup of different colours? You are artists after all, and maybe some of you are designers too! ;)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 10:25:00 pm by happymonster »

Offline dock

• View Profile
I have to admit, I was expecting something more conventional. ^^;
I like to have multiple documents open at once so I tend to prefer a regular window-based setup. Just now, for example, I had my different loops open in different windows in photoshop whilst I animated.

I agree with Jad, this doesn't strike me as somewhere I'd like to work, especially in relation to swapping between other software that I use during the task.  I loath Zbrush because of its very custom GUI, and unfortunately I can't imagine myself using this in its current incarnation because of the fruity GUI.  It makes more sense in zbrush, LightRoom and Aperture (software which works in full screen mode) because you're working on something very big and detailed. The opposite seems true of pixel art, where I tend to prefer my windows small to medium size.

I think I expected something closer to Microangelo: http://www.microangelo.us/icon-tools/icon-editor-example.asp
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 02:17:04 pm by dock »

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Fair enough. I know it won't be to everyone's tastes.. I did say that it wouldn't use the normal OS gui originally though. ;)
It's still early days anyway, It will probably start to look much better with people's input here.

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Alright.. What about this? Does this look better to you? Are the icons still too bright? :)

http://www.funkemunke.com/Pixe_2.png

Offline Jad

• View Profile
Great, that's an awesome improvement right there! At least it made me stop thinking about llamatron whih is a very good thing if you don't your userbase to go crazyballs.

I'd make a mockup with the same functionality sometime but that's a biggie, really. Should finish my secret santa pic first (:
' _ '

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Good. I think the lines on the interface help divide it up more anyway. Although I still miss the high contrast look for the icons. :P
Any other suggestions if you haven't for time for a mockup/edit?

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Slight embossed effect on the icons.. Thoughts?
http://www.funkemunke.com/Pixe_3.png

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website
you might wanna be carefull with a too dark background since it will automatically make people create darker artwork since it will look brighter with a dark hud. just a heads up, maybe it wont even matter.

I dont know it anyone said this, but it would be awesome if there could be an instance funcion. where you could have one tile, like a terrain tile for example, and have that be instanced several times, and as you changed one, you'd automatically change the others.

Kaz
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Kazuya: Good point. I suppose that the opposite is also true, especially with very white interfaces like Apple OS X.. I'm just not that great a fan of too bright grey in a GUI (such as seems the default for OS's nowdays).

For your idea, I think Surt suggested something similar with a tilemap option? The idea that you can alter a tile and see the results in a tilemap in real time?