AuthorTopic: I'm making a paint program, so useful tools, ideas and features required please  (Read 156507 times)

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
DONE (since last list):

Dotted Draw, Free draw, Joined up draw (end point is connected to start point).
Line
Box, Filled Box, Square, Filled Square
Two box draw methods, Draw from corner to corner, or from centre to corner.
Bug fixs
Start of slider gui code.
Brush size 1-64 pixels with crappy slider (square size brush)
Smooth zoom in/out of canvas when the mouse is over it with the mouse wheel. :) (Thanks gfx hardware!)
Much internal design work for data structures and gui ideas.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 08:11:34 pm by happymonster »

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Just DONE:
Scroll around image if the middle mouse button is held down and the mouse is moved.

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant
Any chance of a build so we (I) can have a play? (If it'll run under Wine that is, sounds like you're using PTK as with Chaos Groove which I could never get to run on Wine.)

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
It's not quite ready for a build yet I'm afraid.. I still want to get some basic functionality in there before releasing anything. I'll post more details and screenshots soon though.

The good news is it doesn't use PTK, but my friend Mike Welch's Blitwise engine (PC / Mac). So if you can get the demo versions of his games at blitwise.com to work then it should work ok. :)

Offline dock

• View Profile
Is there something bad about PTK?

I've never used it, but people on the Indiegamer forum seemed to gush about it, and it sounds pretty good in general.

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
It is good in general, but it does have some limitations like poor documentation and slow updates by the author.

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Can't sleep..  :'(

So, I've added the start of the palette selection of tools. The first thing I've added is 6 settings to display a palette of:
4 colours ( 2 x 2 )
8 colours ( 4 * 2 )
16 colours ( 4 x 4 )
32 colours ( 8 x 4 )
64 colours ( 8 x 8 )
256 colours ( 16 x 16 )

This makes the palette entries bigger for lower numbers of colours, which will make it easier to focus and select from for low-colour work.
I'm going to check other programs to see what other palette tools are offered, but off the top of my head I can think of swap, copy, ramp, undo and sliders for RGB & HSV. Any more? :)

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile
Speaking of colour sliders, I would like to request Lab sliders if it's not a pain to add in. I much prefer Lab to RGB, HSV, HSL.
Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT
Speaking of colour sliders, I would like to request Lab sliders if it's not a pain to add in. I much prefer Lab to RGB, HSV, HSL.

seconded

Also...onion skinning, and animation preview running ALL the time...with options to loop it, reverse it...etc...BIG thing for me =)

Did my past feature suggestion make any sense? I know it can be hard to proces...certainly feels hard to explain
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 06:55:19 am by Conceit »

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Proper LAB support needs more than 8-bit's per colour channel which will prove a problem. What about YUV / YCrCb would that be good enough? (I don't really know much about LAB). :)

Conceit: Yes, I think I understood your suggestion, I added it to the spreadsheet. I will go through the suggestions and my own once I've got a bit more of the basic core done.
Onion skinning could be done with an offset layer and a standard opacity value (assuming sprites were grid alligned).

Animation is something I could do if a grid is set (but not snapped to) so that the program can find the frames easily, and then in one of the zoom modes the animation plays all the time in one of the zoom windows. Does that make sense?