AuthorTopic: I'm making a paint program, so useful tools, ideas and features required please  (Read 156473 times)

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile
I tried it, not sure how to save/load files.

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
L & S (to load/save "untitled.bmp") It's in the readme post I made with the link.

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch
I'm liking this so far though I have a couple qualms. Is there a way to change the middle mouse drag to move the image according to you movements? It's weird to me to pull down and watch the image go up.
I don't really understand the zoom options, i figured clicking the zoom button would give me a magnifying glass but instead it did nothing. I found out that all I have to do is use the middle mouse button but I haven't found out how to use the zoom options that come from the mag-glass. It looks as thought it sets up your layout to have full size versions and zoomed in versions for working which I think is awesome. I just don't know how to make it work lol. As with the 3 options above grid are confusing to me. I'm sure you probably just haven't programmed those though.

I really like the different drawing tools you added though like colour replace and this tool that would be great for making oblique angled plans. I dont understand how the brightness tool works though.

Great stuff thought I really like how everything is laid out.

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Jakten:

Go to the system options menu (the icons that looks like a computer monitor) and you can select the option in there to reverse the middle mouse drag mode.

The zoom options (besides using the scroll wheel) aren't implemented yet..
but I haven't found out how to use the zoom options that come from the mag-glass. It looks as thought it sets up your layout to have full size versions and zoomed in versions for working which I think is awesome. I just don't know how to make it work lol.
The icons in there aren't working yet.

There 3 icons above the grid icon on the left hand tool menu will be (from top to bottom): Image options, Stencil options, Layer options.

The brightness tool doesn't work yet either, still need to program that.. and in my development version I am replacing that with brush pattern drawing.

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
I've been working on some bug fixes and new features, but not uploaded the exe yet as it's easier to work on a few things and make sure they all work properly rather than uploading and then having to fix.. ;)

I'll think I'll space things out a little before the next downloadable update as I doubt people are using this for anything more than testing yet.

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Hmm.. I've been wondering whether it might be worth getting rid of the layer panel (below the tool options) and putting that in the layer tool options. I could then extend the tool panels vertically by one tool and provide more space for icons and options..

It's tricky as I want this to work on netbooks and they are quite limited in vertical space.

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant
If that means you would have to keep switching back and forth between tool options and layer options, then please no.

Why not run the layers along one edge of the canvas view?

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Don't worry, as you said I'll just run the layers down a thin interface strip to the right of the canvas. This will also let me add layer option tools as well.

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Doing quite a bit on different things at the moment (I'll post the change log when the next public beta is uploaded), so things are progressing well.

What essential (and basic) features does Pixe need to be usable in your view? I'm not talking about features not in another paint program, or advanced features in ProMotion, Photoshop, etc.. But more basic features that are required to start using the program.

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Effect modes are easy to add. I've changed the halftone effect to dither 50% (and also added dither 25% and dither 75%) these apply the current colour / brush filtered through a dither pattern, so allowing transparant drawing (unlike the old halftone). Also added something I think will be very useful, single colour stencil. This will let you draw as normal, but won't overwrite colours that match the current pen 2 (right mouse button). This is useful for drawing in shapes when the surrounding area is a single colour, without worrying about going over the edge.

I have the ideas.xls file which contains a lot of Surt's ideas for effect and such, but some are quite complicated so I'm looking to implement simple and useful effects at the moment.

No doubt I'd do more work on some totally different area of the program next.. :)

(These changes aren't uploaded yet).