AuthorTopic: I'm making a paint program, so useful tools, ideas and features required please  (Read 156434 times)

Offline Stratto

• View Profile
I tried it out, but i encountered a problem with the grid.
I can't remember what i did exactly, but i think i changed the bg color and the grid disappeared, and i couldnt get it back.

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile
I tried it. It's excellent so far. The biggest issue i had with it was when i clicked on to the screen from my IM window a line would be randomly drawn on the canvas. Not just a single click but a line. This doesn't happen if i switch the window in any other way, just when i change focus by clicking on to the canvas from a window on top.
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Stratto: That was a bug in the first version I uploaded. Could you please try again and see if this is now fixed?

Akira: Thanks! I didn't think of that, but I can change that so you have to click on the window once to get the focus back.

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
* Fixed a bug with cutting/copying out a brush.
* Added Flip X, Flip Y & Rotate 90 functions in the Brush Options panel.
* Fixed speed issue with brush / fill / filled shape crosshair drawing.
* Fixed a few gui issues.
* Changing a colour with palette sliders is a little bit faster. (I still need to make this non-blocking when updating the screen).
* Added first data driven keyboard shortcuts: X - Flip X, Y - Flip Y, Z - Rotate 90 (all for when you have a user-brush), Control + Z - Undo, Control + Y - Redo.
* Fixed ellipses/circles drawn with expanding mode not snapping to the grid.

? Can't seem to reproduce joined-up freehand connecting to point 2 instead of start point.

(Zip file updated)

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
I've been working on more stuff today, but getting tired now so will give this a rest until next week. I hope people like the new stuff I've not seen in other paint programs. :D

It's come an amazingly long way since the first version, so I'm excited about the possibilities for the future. :)

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev
I had a go of it. It has some very nice elements to it. Two things that I really missed though:

- The ability to load your own palette files
- The ability to shrink the canvas to a particular size?

A number of things lack tooltips, so I didn't really know what they did.

Also it seems like I can only select a new brush size from the buttons under the palette if I click on the paintbrush icon first?

More control over palettes in general would be really good. The ability to move colours around on the palette, the ability to mix two colours, to sort colours based on value, popularity, saturation and hue. Also shortcut keys for navigating the palette, (maybe numpad arrows?).

Also the dark background around the canvas should be something changable, or at least more neutral so as not to throw off colour perception.

Over all, though, it's pretty sexy.

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant
Thanks for the bug reports.
Still want panning in screen-space rather than image-space.
Sorry, I don't know what you mean, can you explain some more please?
eg. Zoomed in 32X. Move mouse one pixel's worth. The image on screen would move one screen pixel. Currently it moves 32 screen pixels.

? Can't seem to reproduce joined-up freehand connecting to point 2 instead of start point.
Always happens for me. You've got to push the mouse quickly for it to be evident though. EVIDENCE!

One thing that would be nice to have is the ability to start a tool from off-canvas.

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
EyeCraft: A lot of those things you mention are things I plan to add.

Surt: Thanks for the image, I'll look into it. As for the one pixel worth, it would take forever to navigate around an image an high magnification!

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant
As for the one pixel worth, it would take forever to navigate around an image an high magnification!
In which case you zoom out. The reason for zoom is control. With the current method you have to be very careful not to pan right past what you want.
That is why screen-space panning is the norm. See Gimp, GGale, etc.

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Hmm.. makes sense. I'll have to have a play sometime. ;)

BTW: Does anyone want to help with any icons? 20 x 20 monochrome style. They would have to be free of all restrictions for use in Pixe though. Let me know if you want to help..