AuthorTopic: Gundam-like robot (First sprite ever)  (Read 3013 times)

Offline yukito

• View Profile

Gundam-like robot (First sprite ever)

on: January 10, 2006, 01:26:54 pm
Hi, I'm trying to make some sprites for a game I'm making, but so far I have very little success.

Is what I got so far but it looks really bad. Any suggestions on what could or should be changed?

Thank you for your help.

Yukito

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Re: Gundam-like robot (First sprite ever)

Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 02:15:17 am
 Good work there. You got the body assembly stored in perfectly. To make it appear more gundam like, add the eyes in and make it's shape pentagon shaped. So it's the same as you put a rectangle then an upside down triagle under it. Add robotic looking ears to it by making it squarish looking on each side of the face. And you could add a wing on it's forehead like most gundams. Feel free to select the size and shape of the parts. I hope these help. If you need more mecha reference, it's best to get the HTDM giant robots book. I've learned how to draw mecha from that.

Take note of using color. You should vary the shades' hues. When varing hues, stick to the low saturated colors. These lead to hue varations which can break up the monotony in your images.

Offline yukito

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 09:19:37 pm
I've updated the sprite a bit and made a variation on it. The left version is what I had made before I read this reply, the right is after I made the chest more rectangular. I'm not coloring it all yet because I'm not sure what I want to do with it. I'm not sure what you mean with the square ears and I can't figure out how to add a wing on such a small head. Thanks for your help by the way! Maybe you could make me a sample? If you have the time that is :)

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 12:02:26 am
 Heh, yeah that can be a trouble sometimes. You can try and add like a shape on his forehead first. For instance, like a polygon shape then a 45 degree triangle on each side of his forehead. I hope that helps. I've got a sample of my drawing to help you in the pixeling versions.