AuthorTopic: -RBG- In His Hands [WIP]  (Read 7339 times)

Offline Dex

• ---
    • adamfergusonart
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11794.htm
    • View Profile

-RBG- In His Hands [WIP]

on: November 05, 2008, 02:19:21 am
My school's been inspired by the pixel-art show Cure held that I talked about, and is thinking about holding their own, so I've started working on something fairly large, and in only red blue and green. It is essentially the hand of God, who will be, (as soon as I pixel it,) be holding the world.

It's tough, and I'd like you guys' insights on what to do, what to change, and how to improve the piece. I hope it won't involve a total pose change though  :blind:

So yeah, C+C away!

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14966.htm
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile
    • Chris Kelsall's Pixel Portfolio

Re: -RBG- In His Hands [WIP]

Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 03:00:40 am
You should see http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/12082.htm if you haven't seen it before. It's a good example of how to do good RGB :D
When I try and imitate that hand's position, I notice anatomical faults and shading faults-but maybe it's just your model and the light source.
You've got an interesting shading technique here, but I don't think it'll match your work :|
Anyway good luck!
☑ Available for work     ☒ Unavailable for work
Check out my portfolio if you are looking for a pixel artist!

Offline Dex

• ---
    • adamfergusonart
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 03:23:05 am
I've seen it, who hasn't lol

I'm trying to see what planes are where as I hold my hand up, but things get hard when I have to move the hand and do other things :/

As for matching my other work, this is just palette practice- you see it in most of the Pixel-star's galleries, and BaB is urging me to try stuff like this sooo

Thanks!

Offline Raytheon

• bepp bepp
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 05:41:17 am
I can only just tell which one the thumb is, because it looks like the arm is coming from multiple directions. Loving the shading technique so far though.
i am a computern

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 05:50:44 am
I find the two middle fingers stay pretty close together, while the pinky and index finger are a little distanced from the middle two fingers, especially the pinky.

You also might want to level out those fingers, as while the middle fingers tend to appear lower at that perspective, it's not as extreme as you have made them.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 06:19:57 am
You should sketch out the shape first and then try to shade it in RGB, that way you can focus on diferentiating the colors while you are doing RGB instead of being split between anatomy and color theory.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 01:52:20 pm
Is his index finger growing from the middle of his hand?  ???

Offline Claredeth

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 10:41:01 pm
Oh cool this is your project!

For RGB you are already using way too much noisy dithering on the thumb, it doent look the best that it possibly can, in the spartan piece that Helm made, he exhibits a pretty good example of how to use dithering, keeping a common pattern that wont distract your eyes to little bumps in the piece.  Keep working on it Dex, It'll turn out nicely!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 01:13:22 am
I don't see how anything I made should be a point of strong reference as to what else could be done in RGB. If he wants it noisy, I'm sure it can work somehow.

As long as the volumes are represented, the rendering is secondary. I think personally the thumb is great thus far, but I can't say if the whole hand is believable until it's all more worked.

Offline Dex

• ---
    • adamfergusonart
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 07:48:45 pm

An okay update. I'm trying a different dithering pattern in a few corners. Is it better?

Also thanks Helm and Clear. I'm having more trouble with volumes at this point though. C+C?