AuthorTopic: [WIP] Inn  (Read 3061 times)

Offline Beelketh

• View Profile
    • Project Angel

[WIP] Inn

on: November 02, 2008, 11:46:30 pm
Hello,

I have recently been working on this inn tileset and I would like to have some comments and critics in order to improve it, especially about the color of the ground (which creates me some problems). I'm quite new to pixel art and edits are welcome. Here the tileset and a mockup :

Thank you in advance  :)

« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 11:48:42 am by Beelketh »

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

Re: Inn

Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 12:30:21 am
This is cool man. It has that SD3 vibe to it, really oldschool. I've made a lot rm chipsets so I can appreciate the process.

One thing that strikes me right away is the bed looks like you threw a mattress on the floor, it needs to be lifted up a bit.
About shading, it looks like you put the lightest color in the middle and it's very rigid. The repeating pattern on the top of the railing looks kind of dirt, and I've found it better to keep it 1 or 2 colors cleanly running across horizontally.  The shield looks misplaced on the wall, put it higher and maybe make it less long and point. Use the dark color in the middle for the whole right side of the shield, and maybe even a little of the purple in too.

It looks like you may need a midtone brown for the counter/bar thing. Also the reflections dont look right.

I like the style you have though. Like with the plant and wall, everything is really basically shaded and it looks soft and kinda cartoony. Keep reffin SD3 and CT.

Offline Beelketh

• View Profile
    • Project Angel

Re: Inn

Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 11:13:35 pm
Thank you very much  :)

I tried to correct the problems you mentioned above, I hope this is better :P :

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Re: [WIP] Inn

Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 03:23:22 pm
I like it. Looks very nice and atmospheric. Maybe you could add a wooden panel on the bottom of the wall, that usually always works.

Oh, one thing.. I have some trouble reading what material the wall is actually made of. It should probably be a chalked stone wall but it looks a bit cloth-like to me.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Re: [WIP] Inn

Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 03:27:46 pm
i think the walls are suppose to be some sort of plaster.. at the moment the way its shaded makes it look like its bulging out, as if there is air trapped behind it.. i would try to smooth it out more, maybe by adding more shades to smooth the shading, or to push the current shades towards similar values so it becomes less contrasty.