AuthorTopic: Seven ladys enjoying the sun  (Read 3994 times)

Offline Tuivelswip

• View Profile

Seven ladys enjoying the sun

on: September 06, 2009, 03:32:14 pm
This is my newest work and I'm very happy with it.  ;D It took me about two weeks!
I learned much about shading and a tried to use my new knowledge on this picture.
I'm curious on your opinions.
Have a nice Sunday

« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 04:04:23 pm by Tuivelswip »

Offline Seele07

• View Profile

Re: Seven ladys enjoying the morning sun

Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 03:45:47 pm
Hey Tuivelswip,

that's a good work. Nice traditional Clothing here.

The only point, that don't seem right - to me - is, that it looks like it's the middle of the day and not the rising sun  :-[ . Was it supposed to be like that?

Greetings,
Ingo

Offline Tuivelswip

• View Profile

Re: Seven ladys enjoying the morning sun

Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 04:04:01 pm
Hi Ingo

Thank you for your critique.  :) Yes you got it right, I'm a big fan of the medieval times, and especially I like the female clothing of this era.

Maybe the title of the picture is not fitting. I just did not know how I should name it. So I took the first name that came to my mind.  :-[
But It really looks more like afternoon, I have to agree there with you.   :)

Greetings,
Julia

Offline Seele07

• View Profile

Re: Seven ladys enjoying the sun

Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 04:14:33 pm
Hey Julia,

no problem. To be honest, i don't like medieval times that much, but that's only my (very little) knowledge about that times. So, i guess, it's different from that, what is told in History-Books and School? But, i completely respect your Love for that (Medieval) Times. Every Human is different, and that's a good thing. It would be horrible, if we were all alike, like "Robots made in only one Factory"  :yell: .

Now your Thread-Name fits well  ;D , heheh.

Have a nice Sunday too ^_^ ,
Ingo

PS: Hallo aus Deutschland  :) Eben erst gesehen, dass Du aus der Schweiz kommst ^_^ .
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 04:21:53 pm by Seele07 »

Offline redballoon

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 06:08:45 pm
I think all we need now are seven brothers.   :D

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 06:40:33 pm
The fifth lady from the left seems to be having the most fun. I like the cheery colors and mood of this piece!

As for crits: it's probably too late to make major changes now, but I would consider grouping the ladies differently to form a more interesting composition. It doesn't seem very organic for them to be sitting in a row at regular intervals. Consider the painting "The Last Supper." Notice how the grouping accentuates the composition and the direction of the apostles' faces leads your eyes through the painting.

Offline politopo

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 05:41:56 am
I (my software  :) ) counted a lot of colours: are you keeping a differente subpalette for each girl and her clothes, so to change them separate?
if it is so, ok, otherwise you could think using much less colours, like around 10 for the skin-tones, another 10 for hair, between 10 and 15 for the clothes and another 10-15 for the background. reducing much more the count, even if it is not a concern for you to keep the colour count low, it will give a much more sense of clean-ness to the piece, and you will feel more in control of what is going on there.
Another thing about colours, but not only: your colours do not spread enough in the whole range, you are using only a small part of the light ones, in a sunny day as the one you are painting shadows would be more strong, so punt in your palette also dark shades and use them (add strong shadows to the girls).
A third critique is that things in the far distance loose detail, so you should use less saturate colors for the mountains, and on the converse a more crisp palette for the grass on the foreground.
About shapes, you could use some reference to draw the clouds, 'cause now they are drawn in an automatic "childish" way (don't mean to be offensive, if you are used to non-pixel drawing, you should know that drawing in an automatic and childis way is a big BIG problem that all artist have when they start, and sometimes arises back after years even for skilled people...).
Keep going, you are improoving.  :y: