AuthorTopic: [WIP] RPG Sprite Template  (Read 10906 times)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Re: [WIP] RPG Sprite Template

Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 06:52:21 pm
its mostly the fact you have such short extremities and such a wide blocky torso....

Things tend to look bad when you heavily change something by drawing over what you already had....maybe you should re-start it?

Offline straypixels

• SHAZAM!
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 07:44:36 pm
You're probably right... Especially given that I'm probably going to size down the sprites after all lol
Straying since 1999

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 10:48:29 pm
I redrew his legs to put them into what could pass for the right perspective. While I'm at it, I'll give you some advice which I didn't address in the edit.

You should definitely optimize your palette. The arms will be okay if he's in armor and wielding stuff, otherwise they look pretty awkward. But besides that, reconsider how you shaded, and why you decided to make some parts front on instead of giving them the same treatment you gave the torso. Learn to think of things as forms rather than symbols. When you need to draw legs, think about the angle you need rather than the stock imagery you have in your head.

In fact, it wouldn't hurt to play around with 3d shapes, to familiarize yourself with them. Open up a 3D program and roll a cube around, or pick up a pencil and twirl it. Look at how things change when they're viewed from different angles, look at how the light casts itself across the hard planes. Look at everyday things and break them up into these 3D shapes. Humans are no different from any other object, we can be broken apart. Don't get scared of trying things in perspective because you can't draw the thing head on, it would probably be easier to draw it at an angle because you're no longer thinking of it as a "hand" it would be a collection of rectangular prisms.

Not to say legs are just two stacked cylinders, they're limbs with their own musculature, bone structure, contour, and width. But it's helpful to see things simplified before you try to take everything in.

Oh, and look at the filesize.  ::)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 03:29:10 am

For what its worth here's a silly little reference render in this figure artist version of poser I had lying around. It's not as good as real life human being posing for you but it's sorta a difficult pose to find real reference of. At least it's a good look at which muscle groups are where and how the volumes could be shaded. The model seems to have no penis so I overcompensated in adding the censorship bar to give him some self-esteem back.

Offline straypixels

• SHAZAM!
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 03:44:58 am
ROFLOL

Thanks Helm :D That's actually REALLY helpful! I'm going to get to work tweaking my guy ASAP. Either that, or I'm going to start from scratch lol

And Atnas, thank YOU for all your valuable input as well! I'll work on optimizing my palette (I'm trying to pick up all I can on that topic as we speak)

Thanks!
Straying since 1999

Offline Sokota

• WeThePuppets
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: November 15, 2008, 10:26:17 am
Agreed. Outside came my insides. :D

Sokota