AuthorTopic: Rex Robot (WIP Dragon on the end)  (Read 8914 times)

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Re: Rex Robot

Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 12:39:37 pm
   No need to get defensive, Dairy. We're just trying to understand your method of drawing. However, every time I read what you posted, it still does confuse me a bit. You still say you use as much colors as possible to make a picture look realistic, when in truth, realism can still be achieved with minimal colors in Pixel art. Also:

As you can see here, it doesn't really looks like a pixelart. I used as much colors as possible and I used one realistic picture just to make me sure how the colors sure look like.

It seems like you're admitting that it isn't pixel art, but still trying to justify the means. Again, why torture yourself with choosing so many colors manually, when this can easily be done with a digital brush or tool with Hi res digital art? I guess I don't quite understand the point in doing pixel art like this, as the method doesn't make sense to me.
my back hurts...

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 01:46:16 pm
Lots of colours does not equal realism per se. The old masters only had a limited palette of colours as well, of course they had mixing which results in more shades, but still. A limited, well thought out palette is good in every art medium.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 04:03:34 pm

To what extent would you say this fits your criteria of what a 'copy' is? I'm not saying it's full-on tracing, but are you aware of what we call a 'copy' here? It's exactly what you did, eyeballing a picture and then not mentioning your sources...

Also I would suggest you don't get sarcastic. The point here is that your artistic practices will hold you back and also trap you in a negative loop of hypocrisy. You won't get better as an artist doing what you're doing, but you might successfully fool other people that haven't seen the originals in thinking you are awesome. And then you will feel the pressure of being 'established as awesome' and will keep making copies to satisfy your self-image. Instead if you'd work on your traditional skills you'll see much improvement over little time.

I want you to know that in pixelation ripping or copying without mentioning sources has often been grounds for instaban. We're not going that way when we see that there wasn't exact maliciousness behind it, as with here, but you should really read the RULES of this forum.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 04:16:36 pm by Helm »

Offline Dairy

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 09:21:10 am
Dude. Okay I'm sorry, I'm not acting defensive but you're making me look like one.

As I see again. I said that I used one picture and somebody posted it and I agreed with him it's the one I used. But I didn't copy anything I used it as a ...sample,example (don't know exactly the right word)

-Cheers-

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 10:03:32 am
You copied the design, pose, and coloration of the robot from that picture. Therefore, you should have cited that picture as a reference. You simply posted your drawing as if it was your own original creation. This was your mistake. I suggest you acknowledge that and move on if you don't want to get banned.

On the topic of pixel art, your light source is very vague. Also, the jaggy internal outlines need anti-aliasing. The anti-aliasing on the outside does not look manually done....

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 12:20:09 pm
Diary, you are being defensive.

The definition of a copy is that you look at some source imagery which is not yours originally and then you use it as heavy reference. So you DID copy it, there is not denying that.
To me it even looks like you colourpicked from the original picture. If you think a copy is something else, you have a wrong idea about it. If someone makes a painting after a work by Rembrandt than that is called a mastercopy, same idea. You look at something and try to reproduce it as close as you can = COPY.

Let's move on now tho. In the future please just post the images you reference so stuff like this wont happen again.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Dairy

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 02:13:19 pm
Oh so, OKay. I'm really sorry, so yes. I copied. I thought you mean I just resized it or something. Okay my fault.

And I wrote it wasn't mine, I said it was a suggestion and it's from a game which I can't remember.

And the antialiasing is manualy done. I just downloaded Graphic Gale , added layer and manualy pixel by pixel added AA. Nothing hard. It's just around outline just to make it more roundy. :)

For example, this is picture with some time period. As you can see I worked with some colors on the start, then I started to add more various colors. Sometimes just randomly added because it looks real. adding more shading and so. I'm not doing this few weeks.

I'm sorry being defensive but it's stresful wherever I go I see people telling me I'm resizing, copying, using tools and photoshoping. Nobody tells me, Whoa, you putted a lot of effort into it, didn't you ? or at least some warm word, constructive critism. That's why.

Being banned. Well, I'm saying once again that I mentioned it's from a game which I don't really remember and the picture isn't on my HDD anymore and when somebody putted the picture here I edited the reply and wrote That's exactly the one I used.

It's not allowed to use some pictures as help ? Because for me it's sometimes really important just to make it as realistic as possible.

Sorry again and cheers.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 09:55:26 pm
well Pixelation works a certain way that might be for you or not, it's your call. Familiarize yourself with the rules, they answer your questions.

The broader answer to your question if you'd like my opinion is that you're inhibiting your artistic progress by copying and that you should work on your fundamental art skills.

Offline Dairy

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: November 02, 2008, 10:49:23 pm
Okay. As I see here is the critism kind of "no gentle" which is not really nice but good and constructive. I was thinking about your suggestions and maybe your suggestions helped with my ego. But not only that now I need some of your proffesional help with a real pixelart. Which I hope it is, Its a WIP dragon but I have no idea how to shade the skin. Any suggestions ? Can I help here to look on some pictures of animals ? (reptiles)

EDIT: Second version, this one just needs some tips about shading and adding texture. Could somebody help me ?  ???

« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 11:16:52 pm by Dairy »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Re: Rex Robot (WIP Dragon on the end)

Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008, 08:38:34 am
Hey, this is nice! You've chosen a great format for doing effective pixel art; man, you can only imagine what awesome things you can do with this pallette.

I'm at work right now so I don't really have time to give goot critique, but I'll try to find time to go in-depth and maybe do an edit when I get home.

I know about the 'harsh critique' thing at pixelation, but it's mostly when people start getting defensive that pixelation members bring out the heavy guns. I don't know how I feel about that, really, but I'm glad you're not running away (:

Anyway:

Line art for the dragon is solid, although the plates on the front of the neck are a bit uneven, you might want to align them a bit more evenly.

Light source is inconsistent, look at the top horns and the bottom horns, they're shaded from two different sides. Now that I look at it I realize that the light source is supposed to be in front of him, but it doesn't read very well. Consider readability.

Colour ramps are straight and dull (not very badly so, mind you, but can get better). I'd suggest a little hue variation and more contrast.

About texture, man, that's hard, I know what you mean. Some really bright highlights to suggest scales would be nice I think. do a google image search on 'scale + skin' or 'scaly skin' and see what you find if you need inspiration.

Great that you're trying some limited pixel art, I think you'll understand what we meant about not using redundant colours if you really follow this one through (:

Cheers.
' _ '