AuthorTopic: Rex Robot (WIP Dragon on the end)  (Read 8916 times)

Offline Dairy

• View Profile

Rex Robot (WIP Dragon on the end)

on: October 30, 2008, 08:59:52 pm
Hello,

I'm Dairy. I'm a graphich (2D pixel) modder for one game called Soldat.
I really like pixelart and with modding I've made some pictures which I hope could be classified as pixelarts.
Now I wanna show them to this community and I wish you will give me some constructive critism
If you have pixelart only under 256 colors I guess I'll get banned or deleted or something but I hope you will like it.
Cheers and enjoy.

By the way, you don't have to have any worries because the pixels were added one by one. No saturation programs no auto shaders or whatever programs exists. Only pure MS paint and one picture for what to do. I don't really remember what picture but I guess the robot was from some game. Later I'll add some more if you'll be interested.

Best regards.
- Dairy -
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 10:50:07 pm by Dairy »

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Re: Rex Robot

Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 09:38:32 pm

I really like pixelart and with modding I've made some pictures which I hope could be classified as pixelarts.
Now I wanna show them to this community and I wish you will give me some constructive critism
If you have pixelart only under 256 colors I guess I'll get banned or deleted or something but I hope you will like it.

By the way, you don't have to have any worries because the pixels were added one by one. No saturation programs no auto shaders or whatever programs exists. Only pure MS paint and one picture for what to do.

I remember this piece at Pixeljoint. And I think it was sent back. However, this forum isn't a gallery, so you don't have to worry about that, as this can still be treated as a wip here. I don't have much to add, other than Promotion also counting 256 colors in this one. So with that in mind, my question to you is why?
   Why does a piece such as this NEED to be 256 colors? Is there a purpose to this? Why would one try to justify him or herself by saying that they placed over 256 colors in a piece, and still consider it to be pixel art? The problem here is NOT that it isn't pixel art. No, it's that there is a misunderstanding as to what pixel art is, and what makes GOOD pixel art.
   Pixel art started out with restriction, due to technical limitations. Therefore, artists and programmers had to think long and hard which specifics colors were to be chosen to represent their sprite, backgrounds and such, so that it can still be recognizable in the end, while retaining a bit of it's own character as well.
   So in this day and age, we have all sorts of freedom and whatnot to create different forms of digital art. When one begins to add more and more colors to his palette, to a degree that most of these chosen hues are so near in value, one can't differentiate one from another, it starts to clash with the initial ideals of what makes good pixel art, and begins to move into the higher digital art world(which isn't bad, mind you).
   Bearing this in mind, we must go back to my initial question: Why? Why use so many colors, and pain yourself in selecting so many redundant colors, rather than creating the piece with some auto. brush, or tool, and move into the path  of a higher res digital art form? I'm not saying pixel artists now a days look over each individual color, or pixel they choose, and judge it accordingly; no, that's too anal. It's more so about having control over your colors, and pieces, and make them function as a whole. That's why most pixel artists tend to cringe at high color counts, as it seems pointless overall. Of course, this can lead to countless debates about the demoscene, and how they use a ton of colors, or any other person from the scene who will argue with you to the death, to push their art into a category it probably doesn't belong in. But Categorizing can be a kill joy too, so don't worry about this...
   Before I start making less sense, I just would like to say for future pieces, great pixel art does NOT have to contain a TON of colors. Be weary of your palette selection. Readability is key. And traditional art, just like in any other art form, will definitely help you in the pixel art world as well...

Oh, and welcome to Pixelation!  :)
my back hurts...

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 10:32:01 pm
hey Dairy..
can you build us a diagram of the colors you used and their purposes in your image?
might be a good exercise for you to try this.
also, when you do that. can you differentiate between similar colors and how their subtle differences are justifiable or needed? or not needed?

my assumption is that if you're using 256 colors, you can probably reduce that down some considering the current style its expressing..

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 10:32:20 pm
You're doing something pretty strange here. I can see manual pixel placements, but the way the color here works suggests it is overworked over a cg piece. Why? How?

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 10:41:48 pm
Robot is from Metal Gear Solid :).

I think, since it looks like you're going for something relatively realistic, you should cut down on internal outlines, or perhaps get rid of the outlines altogether ???
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 11:31:31 pm
Even if having all of those colors were advantageous (I think it'd look much better with much less), those black outlines ruin it all anyway.

Also, make sure to cite your references.
http://forceoperationsx.webs.com/REX.jpg

Offline Dairy

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 11:44:08 pm
Thank you guys very much you didn't flame me to hell.

It's an old image on request and I guess I don't really know the pallete which sounds weird but it's like that. My style is like I'm trying to copy the original picture which I'm making that makes me adding absolutly random/custom colors and their shades. I would like to copy the real colors so I'm "travelling" thru the whole color pallete.

To be honest the words before gives you answer for the "tons" of colors. I just like to make small pictures of pixels some realism. Still I love the realism of Metal Slug and those awesome animations.

As you can see here, it doesn't really looks like a pixelart. I used as much colors as possible and I used one realistic picture just to make me sure how the colors sure look like. Don't ask me please for any tools because I'm one 100% sure I did it zoomed and added everything by myself in MS paint. It's just my own style. And don't worry I putted into it a lot of efford and "waste" enough time to make myself proud as every artist here when they finish their good artwork.

On the other hand I tryed some classic styles and I was really glad and happy I'm not so useless and crappy in pixelart.

It's not that bad, is it ? I really enjoy making pictures like this, sadly lately I don't have so much time but still pixelart is my "heart-close" thing.

For example, I can post some mods from Soldat. Those are just weapons but most people are asking me ...well, they asked if it's resized or something. I have just one answer, no it's not ! But on pixejoint they didn't believe me. I mean, nobody never made something like that just with zoom ? I know they did. Maybe it's much simplier with some tools but I wouldn't be so proud to release it just like that.

Don't know if you guys understand me or not. I don't really know if it's important but I'm glad some of you have the same feeling about pixelart and enjoying to makin' it like me.

Cheers.

Oh, and some pictures of the mods.

Call Of Duty 4 weapons

EDIT:Cure ! Exactly, that's the picture. Thanks.

EDIT2:Okay as I see the call of duty 4 weapons I have to say I used gimp just to make antialiasing, which I made pixel by pixel as well.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 11:48:16 pm by Dairy »

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 12:22:30 am
its ok to do what you did.. hey, i did it a few times when i was a beginner at this. one day you're going to say, "what's the point of this?"..
its cool to reproduce something from another medium into pixelized form, but if that's all you're focused on doing, you wont get down to the technical stuff to know what makes a good piece of art, cuz you wont ever be going through the motions and learning process required when making original art which asks the pertinent questions that need answers in order for you to get anywhere.. instead you'll just be doing a passive exercise of reproducing something.. thats doesnt stimulate your mind as much..

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 06:56:58 am
So if I understand you correctly you feel to be a bad artist when you work without reference and so you prefer to work with 'borrowed strength', copy pictures to think of yourself like a better artist than you really know you are?

Offline Dairy

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 09:44:11 am
No way dude, I'm not like a psycho who has to make something by "cheating" to feel better. You completely missunderstood what I ment. Maybe I wrote it wrongly because my english isn't that good to clean up all my things. I ment I used some pictures (not COPYing them) as an "idol" (?) just to make my picture as much realistic as possible.

Or I don't know what do you mean. I thought you will give me some constructive critism not to talk about my personality, doctor.