AuthorTopic: towing comets  (Read 7700 times)

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

towing comets

on: October 24, 2008, 01:30:08 pm
I've been working on this for too long. I need a some new eyes to take a look. I'm not entirely sure how to render the comet. Also I am planning on re-rendering the man's face.

C&C
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline Elwin

• View Profile

Re: towing comets

Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 03:15:01 pm
It's an amazing piece, but the man is ruining it 100%. he's way too stiff, and doesn't belong at all in the image. try making him in a more dynamic position, and not with a totally front view face.
When there is no more of art to discover, you know you're dead. And if you aren't, what the hell do you live for?

Offline absolut_oddka

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 10:39:32 pm
Wow, love the horse! This reminds me of the villain from Loom. I also like the gradual glow on the chain.
The grey area seems sparse for its size. Maybe a little low-contrast detail with your darker grey, like shadows or simple texture, could spruce it up without detracting from the bold figures.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 04:14:29 am
I loved it when you showed it to me on MSN.
I like the changes you've done with the chariot.

However I don't think the horse is even attached to this chariot.
The grey is a bit distracting, but I have no idea what you could do with it. :(

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 05:01:48 am
Is it odd that I think the best part of this piece is the chain? And I don't mean that in a bad way.

Though, I find it very hard to understand what is going on in this. I mean, I understand he is towing a comet, but what's with the gray half and everything? And even though I know you're not done with the comet, I think you're approaching it completely wrong. It looks more like clouds than gases. The tails of a comet are much more defined and clear, instead of bubbly. Think of it as a propane torch or such. They also have two tails, but you're fine with just one, I think... though two may be more dramatic if you want to take advantage of that, because they're usually two different colors.

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 03:44:57 am
An new rendering of the comet:

I'm not sure if I'm happy with it or not. It feels too small or something.
Future plans:
-redo the man's face
-increase the black area so it splits the canvas diagonally and maybe add clouds to the grey area?

This is taking a while. I've got exams to study for and junk. I wanna hang in there and see this one through to the end though.
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline skamocore

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/10442.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 04:08:41 am
I love this :D, and the comet is looking much better now. But as others have said, the man is kinda not right...

I know this doesn't really make much sense, but I think compositionally something like this is better:

Maybe have the man actually riding the horse? As well as maybe adding some more detail to the horse, ie have the horseshoes white/light grey. Right now, I think the chariot and horse are competing too much for attention.

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 06:28:57 am
I don't really agree with you composition wise, but I probably will add more detail to the horse. Thanks for the crits and taking the time to edit!

Latest:

I'm happier with the guys face.
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 08:10:41 am
dirty npa edit tyme:

Basically, the straightlineliness of various elements bugs me, especially the chain, the wheel on the chariot, and also the backdrop in the lastest version. ( I edited it back to be like the older version before I realised that that's what the older version was like.) The mirroredness of the horns, also.

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 03:12:10 am
I really wish this was a painting or drawing :)
pixel art doesn't really do this very much justice IMO
EAT PUNAJI  BECAUSE IT'S GOOD AND TASTY