AuthorTopic: [WIP] Idle sprites  (Read 4731 times)

Offline absolut_oddka

• View Profile

[WIP] Idle sprites

on: October 24, 2008, 04:53:32 am
First post, long-time lurker. These boards are so much fun! Like, work-preventing levels of fun  :-[
Here's my maiden voyage. Four idle & slightly cartoony sprites for my game. I'll add the rest as I get to 'em.

I wasn't sure where to start palette-wise, so I just blended the Arne Palette (v19? v20? I forget) with itself @ 50% and picked the colors I liked best, tweaking along the way. I tried to keep colors per sprite under 16.
Critique, comment, eviscerate, what have you
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 10:21:01 pm by absolut_oddka »

Offline Deidara

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Idle sprites

Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 11:28:07 am
I like your style!

The dithering on places like the big guy's arm is bit obvious. But I'm new to pixelart so I don't really know how to handle those places.

Offline chimico

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 01:33:51 pm
beautiful! they all are great.
small edit on the third one's strange pose. the jacket's shape wasn't very distinct because of the way you colored it... i think too many highlights and shadows focused my attention and made me lose the perception of its 3d form. i don't get why there's something white on his nose ^^' is it my fault?

finally, the last guy has a very 'rigid' pose, but i dunno if you wanted it... i could take it as a (not really interesting, but who cares) stylistic choice.

Offline absolut_oddka

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 10:23:44 pm
Thanks for the comments! That edit is good chimico, he looks more stable now and less like he's about to sit down. Sorry about the nose or lack of it, that's actually supposed to be a bandage over the hole.
The last guy is pretty stiff, but I wasn't sure what to do with him; it's been hard to find a good ref pic of a fat guy at ease AND standing. Maybe with his arms akimbo? Suggestions? (I'll make his arms less spotty, for a start)
To give these a little more context, they're for a side-scrolling puzzle-platformer with slight perspective. The human NPCs are unique (no hordes), so I'm going for high individuality.

Offline absolut_oddka

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 10:27:41 pm
Here's the latest, with three more plus glasses variant! Sorry for the idleness, who knew real life would affect my productivity?  ::)

Three more to go! Then I can mockup a much more interesting background, hooray

Offline politopo

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 08:58:03 am
they ane nice, but since someone is going to say it soon or later,
try using more contrasting colors, it should look alot better.

Offline absolut_oddka

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 06:18:00 am
Heh, I was wondering when I'd see that. True enough; I also want to knock the colors/sprite down to 12, sharpen those shadows a bit.
Originally the first two (P1 and P2, btw) were done in the Arne Palette along with the bg. While making the bg was fun, the sprites weren't coming out so well, so now I'm fleshing out a broader, more arcade-y palette.
I think it'll be better in the end, but now I have to redraw everything else... joy. Here's some of the old, totally unfinished tiles, stacked in no particular order:

The game is set in an abandoned gas station/inn in rural Arkansas. I kind of like the hills in the background, save for that crazy blue border-vein, so I may fix that and keep it