AuthorTopic: [wip] Beneath a demon moon  (Read 2862 times)

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile

[wip] Beneath a demon moon

on: October 23, 2008, 06:07:44 pm
Whew. it's been a minute. no time for animations this time around though   :(

no moon:

I've been looking at pictures of moons all day and i just can't seem to get it to look like an actual moon, as opposed to just a big glowing cheeseball. and the glow around it is crap.

Also, I need some tips on how to shade when the light source i coming from behind. i've done a few experiments and made a little progress but..still not quite right.

Naturally any other criticisms are welcome. i want to make this as awesome as possible.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 06:12:10 pm by Corsair »

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Re: [wip] Beneath a demon moon

Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 03:36:20 am
Ok, but first, a disclaimer:

* This is not pixel art, it is a photoshop edit. I even copied a picture of a moon and pasted it on the background. The purpose is to quickly show Corsair what I think he needs to change without me spend 5 hours on it. Mods please don't hurt me  :blind: *

End disclaimer. Here is my edit.

1. the moon is not round in your version, its squished. I fixed it here.

2. There should be a shadow of the demon in the water.

3. Sky probably could use some clouds, mine are pretty crappy and probably wrong, but give you the idea.

4. the edges of the demon should glow because of the light in back of him ( her? ). And the reflection from the water could create a blue glow as a secondary highlight. I tried to illustrate this with my edit.

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 06:50:47 am
I haven't got around to lighting the demon yet, so the godawful lighting she's posessed of (more on that in a second.) is just temporary.

But i've started doing some clouds, added a little bit of character to the moon - meaning i got frustrated with trying t make it any kind of realistic. yes this is a cop out, but i like the results (still could use it's fair share improvement naturally.)

Added a shadow in the water.

The clouds remind me more of cliffs for some reason :\
 Moved the moon up (and it's now actually round :D) and the demon down to make the shadow a little bit more sensical.

Anyways, about the gender of the subject in question:

The whole thing actually started out as practice with female forms and more dynamic poses -  since i'm not particularly good with either -  then a friend asked me t make a cell phone wallpaper for him so i figured "eh, why the hell not" and since i was working on the stuff when it happened, i decided to reuse some of my ideas:
so you can see i used some ideas from both of 'em

Offline trolleybusses

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 09:03:25 am
I'm liking the funky stuff on the moon; it adds a bit of evil character to the image.
However, the glow from the moon is very off-putting and pretty much ruins the image. I think it needs to be a much more gentle, gradual glow, like in EvilEye's 'edit'.

The demon's front should also be pretty much completely in shadow with the light source behind it, but with a few highlights from the reflection on the water.

Keep going. :)