AuthorTopic: THE MUSCLE BABY THREAD  (Read 52672 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

THE MUSCLE BABY THREAD

on: October 22, 2008, 09:30:08 pm

first google image result for query shall be our host

I am fascinated by the muscle baby thing. You know, top-down RPG sprites without clothes on with very - usually - defined musculature. I try to understand how it happend and how these sort of sprites don't creep everyone the hell out like they do with me. What I want in this thread is to examine this phenomenon closely. I ask you all to post all the muscle babies you find here. Direct links to images would be best. From pixelation threads (with appropriate link to thread below too), from elsewhere, your own, anything. I'll make one too at some point as well. This thread is not about ridicule, it's about understanding. Help me understand. Post muscle babies.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 09:45:43 pm by Helm »

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Re: THE MUSCLE BABY THREAD

Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 10:40:38 pm

I was younger and stupid.  ;D

Nah, let me walk you through my thought process.

I was working on a template for a more realistic top down game. The dude wanted super-realistic every-blade-of-grass style art. I was fresh off my first month dabbling in anatomy, so I went out of my way and did something I normally would not have done - made a musclebaby. Had it been my call, I would have made everything like the last image, probably something even more simplified and cartoony. So I flexed my muscles and gave him something I interpreted as "realistic". Then I went through further simplification and fought with the project leader until I did that last image. (upon return from a lengthy hiatus of working on it, I learned much about what I considered tasteful and distasteful in my own eyes, and made changes accordingly.)

I think it's the same driving force behind people drawing beefy men when they practice anatomy. I mean, there's some intrinsic pull to draw bulging muscles. I've felt it before, but I've not exactly liked the outcome. I find people with huge muscles to be kind of creepy personally, but it's a very interesting thing to explore because of the sheer power the image of muscles hold over humans.

Of course, that's not why I made those sprites so beefy. I was being plain ignorant of what I was making and how ugly it was. Besides the poor craftsmanship, of course.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 10:42:28 pm by Atnas »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 01:11:51 am
Thank you for your reply and your insights. As far as musclebabies go, your don't creep my out as much as usual (though the absence of genitals (another thing I'd like to see explained!) definitely does. The last one has more charm than the rest, naturally and actually conveys birdview pretty well!

Offline Sabata

• View Profile
    • TownsLife

Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 01:34:07 am
...(though the absence of genitals (another thing I'd like to see explained!) ...

I think that the fact of omitting some parts is because mostly those are used on games, which is associated whit kids...which makes it bad for them to see  :-\

Also question...is this actually related to so called "dolls"  ???

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 01:52:27 am
I don't know, you tell me! Is the muscle baby thing related to dolls? Perhaps the more 'masculine' version of dolling? Of course you get to play dress-up with them ultimately in some sort of gaming schema. Whereas in doll communities they dispense with the gaming schema and get right to the core of it: the fun of customization of a little person with clothes.

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 02:05:39 am
They're just crazy chibi characters  created for RPGs (usually, it seems) with defined muscles, because that shit's gonna get covered up by leet itans anyways, but you might as well make it look muscly because the character is probably a WARRIOR of some kind anyways plus then it'll make sense if you make a batman-like molded plastic musclechest magical paladinium enchanted metal armour and stick it on the character.

Plus drawing muscles shows everyone how much you own at drawing.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 02:25:20 am
More musclebabies please.

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 02:26:52 am

Probably the best walk animation I have ever done. Ever.
I know I should be ashamed but 3 years later there's an interesting feeling of disconnect with this piece. Perhaps I've actually progressed as an artist.
The final one was even more muscled. And walked with knees. I wish I had saved them.
Created for a 2D MMORPG. Was destined to be full of dress up paper doll fun. My brief was pretty much "draw a muscled chibi character". I like to think I delivered.
Edit:

Found a newer version.

Double edit:
bonus ass-shaking back view.

and the original thread: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=531.0

Thanks helm, for this trip down memory lane.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 02:34:15 am by Akira »
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 02:34:16 am

Really all I could find in a quick search here.  By gnarf.  I actually like this, though, like it's intentionally creepy

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 10:48:54 am
Holy shit I just started sweating cold @ ___________ @
' _ '