AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1010607 times)

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #1000 on: July 23, 2009, 06:23:33 am
What's going on with pixeljoint? I thought it was just me.

Been playing Psychonauts over the last week or so, the whole concept is just really cool, the milkman and lungfish stages were amazing. Definitely recommend it (only $10 on steam), though you better have a gamapad/ get it for console. I think I'll have to play more of Schafer's games, I've heard so much praise but I never played any before now.

Offline Zenobia

• View Profile
    • Zententia.net

Reply #1001 on: July 23, 2009, 06:38:38 am
I miss Pixeljoint. I've been on holiday the past two weeks... and when I finally return to the internet...
On the bright side, someone offered to take a look at my Orphica set in Game Maker, before Pixeljoint... went on holiday.

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #1002 on: July 23, 2009, 08:07:05 am
Pixeljoint is indeed down.

All refugees to pixelation!

Offline skamocore

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/10442.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #1003 on: July 23, 2009, 10:30:42 am
PJ seems to be back. Woot.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #1004 on: July 23, 2009, 04:42:01 pm
What's going on with pixeljoint? I thought it was just me.

Been playing Psychonauts over the last week or so, the whole concept is just really cool, the milkman and lungfish stages were amazing. Definitely recommend it (only $10 on steam), though you better have a gamapad/ get it for console. I think I'll have to play more of Schafer's games, I've heard so much praise but I never played any before now.
:y:

Milkmand and lungfish and the Napoleon boardgame  are definitely my favourite stages. So many amazing level designs and variety. Did you only hear about it recently or is something you've known for a while that you decided to take a chance on now that it's $10? And I agree on the gamepad.

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #1005 on: July 23, 2009, 06:49:02 pm
Psychonauts holds a special place in my heart, along with Beyond Good & Evil and Shadow of the Colossus. I've been waiting to see what Double Fine would come out with next. Looks like it's Brutal Legend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxnho1yTjRo&feature=related

Jack Black annoys me to no end, and choosing voice actors based on star power rather than - you know, actual voice acting ability - annoys me even more. But, here's hoping the game ends up being fun and funny.

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #1006 on: July 23, 2009, 11:05:34 pm
I'm pretty excited for Brutal legend. Tim Schafer said when he designed Eddies character he had not planned him to be Jack Black and someone during development said he reminded them of Jack Black so Tim tried to get Jack as a joke and Jack ended up accepting. The casting for this is a little different than usual when you get stars to play parts for this though. Its not like they got Shia Lebouf and Beyonce or someone who has a HUGE name and little to no talent. Its all 80s metal singers (save Tim Curry who I think would be a better voice than Dio anyways, which why they booted him) which makes sense for a game based off of 80s Heavy Metal so it should be pretty natural for them to act like them selves.

I've only played random levels from psychonauts but from what I played I enjoyed a lot. the napoleon level was fantastic and i really liked how Black Velvetopia looked. You should play Day of the Tentacle, I quite enjoyed it.

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Reply #1007 on: July 24, 2009, 04:57:31 am
We'll be picking up Psychonauts soon too - the missus just spent all the M$ points I had on songs for Lips. XD
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #1008 on: July 24, 2009, 05:34:57 am
:y:

Milkmand and lungfish and the Napoleon boardgame  are definitely my favourite stages. So many amazing level designs and variety. Did you only hear about it recently or is something you've known for a while that you decided to take a chance on now that it's $10? And I agree on the gamepad.

I've known about it for a while but I thought it was console only.

Just realised beyond good & evil is pc as well, I really should look these things up. I'll have to wait a while to get it though, damn download quotas :yell:

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #1009 on: July 25, 2009, 02:24:40 am
I bought Beyond Good & Evil off Steam around Christmas when I saw it going for special. Didn't like it. It wasn't challenging and the gameplay was fairly bland. I guess this complaint could be levelled against Psychonauts, but PN kept me engaged with the characters and the story. I always wanted to keep playing so I could meet somebody new or advance the interesting subplots. I heard BG&E's characters and story are supposed to be compelling or interesting, but... eh, they just didn't do anything for me. Many months on and I can't even remember anything about it. It's drifted almost completely from my memory. All that comes to mind is a pig, a girl with green hair, and some really bland story about benevolent protectors, wait, oppressors. Actually, I'm starting to remember cringing at all the protesters that start popping up towards the end. It kinda came across as a poly sci student's wet dream.

Anybody ever give Vampire Bloodlines: The Masquerade a try? It's a FPS/RPG based on a boardgame property by WhiteWolf. It was made byTroika Studios, which was founded by some core members of the the RPG team at Interplay. That would be the guys who were making RPGS like Fallout. Vampire is a pretty solid effort, Great story, multiple characters and the dialog and in game opportunities are affected by your stats. If you feel like given it a shot, make sure to look for the fan made patch. Troika's games are kinda infamous for various bugs. I don't think it was entirely their fault, though, they were under a lot of financial pressure pretty much over the course of their existence. I even read an interview with Leonard Boyarsky(one of the founders), describing some pretty brutal crunch time he put in over most of their final two games that took him out of the game industry for a short period. And now he's on the design team for Diablo III :D