AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1004476 times)

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #980 on: July 11, 2009, 02:02:36 pm
It's not too incredibly full of jargon... The people they were targeting with this message should understand it. I think this was more of a message to try to get people from performing practices that they are set on destroying. A warning, I guess. Essentially, they're purist hackers who hack and don't tell. Their rules of engagement are blend in, trust no one, destroy everything, disclose nothing, and then get out without leaving a trace. They're against the "Whitehats" who are hackers who use their abilities to help the security industries, the people that publish their hacks. They call themselves "Blackhats", hackers who simply hack without the disclosure of their methods.

Plain english article that explains it pretty well

Here’s the deal: Anti-Sec guys are apparently wholly against the idea of “full disclosure.” What’s that, you ask? According to the rogue group, it’s the security industry practice of making publicly available all security vulnerabilities in order to, as in the example above, enrich itself by selling yet more security software, firewalls, ad nauseum. But, so the gripe by Anti-Sec goes, by making public this security vulnerability information, “genuine” hackers can use it to further their malicious ways, thereby causing all us grief and to, well, buy more security and anti-virus software. It’d be like the United States government publishing top secret security vulnerabilities at nuclear power plants, thereby practically forcing us to buy their nuclear-proof spacesuits. That’s a far-fetched analogy, but you get the gist.
So the Anti-Sec Movement proposes – indeed, they promise -- to hack any and all such alleged perpetrators with its perceived impunity, ostensibly in order to stop the perps from “full disclosure.”

I don't really think there's a big facade of ideology here, I think they honestly just want to purify the hacking "scene", and making information about hacks public isn't pure.

that topic's a bit ehh and I don't really care about it enough to argue an opinion so this post is now about pixel art. : D

The iphone screen is soo large. When doing sprites I have the habit of nudging them unintentionally towards 16x16, but I always fear that having the sprites so small will make it hard to easily tap one, not to mention there will be an INFORMATION OVERLOAD or toosparsebland on the screen. Bumping tile size up to 32x32 could work but it's too big in my opinion for an acceptable amount of movement options in a tactical game. I decided to go with 24x24 because it's big enough to easily tap, but I have 16x16 sprite syndrome or something.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 06:36:29 pm by Atnas »

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile

Reply #981 on: July 12, 2009, 06:09:45 pm
I finally found the problem! on the very right of the screen above the scrolling bar was a tiny icon that i double clicked. it disabled "color management". thanks for the suggestions though

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #982 on: July 14, 2009, 07:54:09 pm
SUPERBROTHERS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etEvL0EsxOY

http://www.superbrothers.ca/film_002dotmatrix.html

good thing to see that someone other than Paul Robertson is doing pixels in video. I like this guys aproach

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #983 on: July 14, 2009, 08:21:57 pm
Thanks Conceit, that was really cool. The composer for the video has some nice music under "composed on a playstation(ps1)" on his site.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #984 on: July 15, 2009, 12:00:54 pm
I've been playing Dwarf Fortress II the last couple of days. I couldn't stand it the first couple of times. Too slow, didn't understand what was happening, hated the interface, absolutely retarded graphics :p but I kept giving it another chance because all the cool kids like it and I want to be just like them some day. And now It's really starting to grow on me.

I think I'm on my 5th fortress. I'm not sure how it happened, but apparently I upset a local goblin kingdom and they've responded by repeatedly trying to exterminate my dwarven race. I used to have almost 50 dwarven kind. Now I'm stuck with a Sheriff and about 6 lame and comatose brothers and my fortress is utterly foul with gases from the all the corpses lying about. The good news is about six migrants were stupid enough to come to my fortress about a week after the attack, so I think I can pick up the pieces and move on. I've got to figure out a better way to defend my fort entrance, though.

It has a 2x3 set of up/down staircases that I think I'm going to knock out. I originally put them in thinking the wagon traders would be interested in bringing their wagons down those steps, but apparentlly that wasn't going to work so I channeled out a ramp instead. The thing that worries me the most is that my sherriff is really stressed out and depressed and I'm afraid he'll jump into a lake soon like so many others. Although, that would be better than the last guy who went batshit crazy from working all alone in the mines and tried to slit everyone's throats. And naturally he does this right after a massive goblin siege when my people were already pissed off about being drafted the first time.

I never thought randomly generated characters could be very compelling, but I think my heart just broke in two when I found out that my first suicidal dwarf jumped in a lake because his wife miscarried their first child. It just pissed me off when I lost a good miner with the next jumper, though :p

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #985 on: July 17, 2009, 07:11:00 pm
Has anyone else ever dreamed in pixels? I normally don’t, but the past few nights I’ve had some fairly lucid dreams of pixel art, including visions of a totally kickass shmup.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #986 on: July 17, 2009, 07:15:24 pm
I dreamed about videogames including pixely stuff quite a few times. Not as often as I dreamt in 2D animation looking stuff, tho.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #987 on: July 17, 2009, 07:31:09 pm
On a related note, how would you say

"Exploding dolphin tits"

in German?

This is directly related to the shmup dream I had last night.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #988 on: July 17, 2009, 09:05:06 pm
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Reo

• aka MechaBarbarian
    • MechaBarbarian
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11318.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #989 on: July 17, 2009, 09:51:21 pm
Has anyone else ever dreamed in pixels? I normally don’t, but the past few nights I’ve had some fairly lucid dreams of pixel art, including visions of a totally kickass shmup.
I have :D
I also met Ptoing in one, Despite being German he talked with a sligth finnish accent lol
Also on Punaji why not just move over to a free forum?
Its the people that matters rigth?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 10:01:11 pm by Reo »