AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1004426 times)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #930 on: June 27, 2009, 01:43:27 am
The Orphan Bill again
http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=145485
I feel conceptart is one of those spots of the internet like pixelation which justify that the internet has value. I just noticed our pals at CA seem to be really worried about the orphan bill...and believe it will pass because it benefits corporations and they have the money leverage.

They are putting all of their resources to make a searchable art registry spot for their users...and that makes me think about all our pixelart here, but specially over at pixeljoint.....should WE make some advances so that we are prepared for it too?

I have a hard time believing this because if its true it makes me feel like it reeks of facism o.o

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #931 on: June 27, 2009, 02:19:52 am
The whole orphan bill completely situation is overblown, especially here in the states. It seems most of the artists who are frothing-at-the-mouth against it are almost entirely ignorant of what the bill actually stipulates, and how it affects current copyright law. deviantArt had an particularly farcical campaign that convinced artists and photographers that orphan works would stomp their puppies and rape their daughters if it came to pass.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #932 on: June 27, 2009, 02:18:57 pm
Better if it's overblown rather than ignored. I don't like it at all, it makes me rather pissed that something I make for myself wouldn't inherently mine from the get-go. And if it is passed, what's next? It has the possibility of opening the way for a bill to be presented referring to unregistered property. Will we have to register all of our material property for it to be ours? Because that's basically what it is, I don't see the reasoning of not going further if this is passed. If you don't have records of anything of your own, it isn't yours. It's going too far on so many levels.

If I'm overblowing it, it doesn't matter, because I don't agree with its most basic stipulation.

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #933 on: June 28, 2009, 04:48:21 am
Graduated from highschool yesterday, did some irresponsible things last night, back to the internet this night. I'd be up for some Quaking if you need some cannon fodder but last time I checked I was really bad at that game. :( Played through a couple single player episodes recently actually.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #934 on: June 29, 2009, 01:45:34 pm
From what I understand of this bill it basically intends to victimize the copyright infringer. Ridiculous. I think the thing that bothers me most about it is that it's clearly pandering to large corporations who want to be able to steal stuff without fear of lawsuits, while preventing their own assets from being likewise stolen. It'd basically be grabbing the bollocks of every independant artist/studio and giving them a good sharp twist. :blind:
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #935 on: June 29, 2009, 02:34:51 pm
From what I understand it's referring mostly still to orphaned works, which demand that the work's creator be difficult to identify (i.e., should you put your name on things, theres' no issue).  We might see a resurgence of the big and obnoxious corner signature, but I would need to see how this applies to things before I torch the capitol.  For instance, is posting an image that you've made under a username that links directly to your personal information an orphaned work? (i.e. how difficult does finding the owner need to be before it's actually considered "difficult"? the text of the bill implies that there's actually quite a bit they must do to prove that the work is unidentifiable)

I think the idea that it would allow companies to destroy minor commercial artists is foolish in the sense that a minor commercial artist would be all over their own works and not go posting them without the appropriate information.  The potential problem - that the corporation might be able to step on him and ignore any small suits he files - has always been true and does not change with this.  The fact that the corporation is innocent until proven guilty of the theft is constitutionally sound, although it is impractical and certainly does impact the rights and protections of the original owner.  It also looks like a lot of additional paperwork on the side of the infringer (the owner needing only to provide his name, address, and a few quick points of description), meaning that anything the company takes seriously will be rushed ever-more-quickly to an out-of-court settlement.  Not to mention - how awkward is it for a company to put a label on an advertisement that says "we don't actually own this image and we don't even really know who does." ?  It's like CNN's big unverified story sticker that made everyone laugh and cry at the same time.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #936 on: June 30, 2009, 03:48:22 am
I will now heroically contribute to this pertinent conversation. This is the solution we seek.

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #937 on: June 30, 2009, 02:36:29 pm
lol

that's priceless, Mathias!

As far as the Orphan Bill goes, I agree with Atnas in that it infringes on basic liberties. Even if that infringement is rudimentary at best, I still have a hard time wanting to abandon any rights I may have. Why should others be entitled the privilege to use my work under obscure circumstances? I haven't read the bill since its first conception, and don't have the desire to do so again but, what I walked away with that time seems to be the case still.

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Reply #938 on: July 01, 2009, 02:31:42 am
I will now heroically contribute to this pertinent conversation. This is the solution we seek.

That made me sad. Who randomly stabs crabs for tv? Sniffle.
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #939 on: July 03, 2009, 02:51:51 am
I don't know who here visits newgrounds but they now have a pixel-art section:
http://www.newgrounds.com/art/category/pixel-art
Let's get in there and clean it up!