AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1010849 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #920 on: June 26, 2009, 08:53:42 am
Quake 1 has that Doomish occult aspect, which is basically the result of texan metalheads making stuff they thought would be 'cool' and a bit offensive, whereas Q2 goes into a sorta sci-fi plot direction which is ridiculous. Q3 is an arena game, inexplicably, and I haven't played Quake Wars nor do I intend to.

The first Quake has an odd charm. The rest never appeled to me. More of a UT guy, for multiplayer fpses of the time.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #921 on: June 26, 2009, 09:46:46 am
Don't forget Quake 4 which basically is a direct sequel to Quake 2, same setting with the Stroggs and such.
I have not played Quake Wars, but I heard it is good fun. It is apperantly kinda like Battlefield, only much more arcady with fast running and such.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #922 on: June 26, 2009, 10:14:33 am
I like Q1 a lot too. I think it looks best without any smoothing of the low res textures. The dark Gothic architecture mixed with Lovecraftian and Satanic themes works. The pace is fast and the monsters are relentless. The monsters really try to kill you, they don't waste any of their time showing off, going through scripted sequences like "ROOAARRR (Fog horn) I'm gonna start chasing you after I've done a bit of scripted roaring ROARR!!" The multiplayer was insanely fast and 100% skill and reflex based.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #923 on: June 26, 2009, 10:34:37 am
I didn't know Quake 4 even existed. Was it done by Raven? I don't like their games.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #924 on: June 26, 2009, 12:04:25 pm
Well, there goes Michael Jackson.
I wasn't old enough to see him rise to fame, but I know I only bought his music as a kid.
Always felt sorry for the kids who didn't get to see him before all his problems and controversy when he was the coolest mother fucker alive, at least now he'll be remembered in a much more respectful way.

I think he'll join the ranks of elvis and tupac with death conspiracies and the like btw.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 04:35:49 am by .TakaM »
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #925 on: June 26, 2009, 03:59:11 pm
I didn't know Quake 4 even existed. Was it done by Raven? I don't like their games.

Yah, Raven indeed.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #926 on: June 26, 2009, 04:06:21 pm
Quake 1 is great, it's one of my favorite PC games. Theres a solid atmosphere and feel to it not present in most modern first person shooters.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #927 on: June 26, 2009, 04:33:25 pm
I remember playing Quake at one of my old friend's house when I was young. Along with Chex Quest. Fond memories.

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #928 on: June 26, 2009, 10:55:39 pm
Michael Jackson, for several years, was quite possibly the coolest human being on earth. Then came the marriage to Elvis' daughter, plastic surgery, and molestation scandals. It all went steadily downhill after that. I still have fond childhood memories of the man

Anyone want to do some online Quake 1/2/3? I've never taken the games seriously, so I'm absolute trash compared to the more dedicated players, but I do have fun playing casually.

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Reply #929 on: June 27, 2009, 01:39:25 am
My incessant "yeah, but unlike the Wii we have, the xbox..." + co-op comments resulted in the missus deciding we'd get one, and despite her motion sickness during Halo which I thought was improving, we picked up the Gears of War pack...

Dear lord, what is wrong with programmers these days? It sticks you with a over-the-right-hand shoulder view and if you press the RUN button, it sticks your head in the ground - still on the right somewhere - so that every pebble near the guy JOLTS your perspective. Or something. And the constant bouncing as he runs! EGADS! Even the movies know better than to have the invisible-bouncing-camera-man-squad-mate perspective the ENTIRE way through a movie.

Sadly it made all too clear our tv is too small for co-op >.< can't read the text when it says "press this button to live."
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 01:50:01 pm by Scribblette »
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage