AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1004788 times)

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/13899.htm
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile
    • ArgyleBox | Designs by Valouria Saurus (VERY OUTDATED)

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #890 on: June 19, 2009, 03:24:41 pm
Ahahaha just came across this.

Garfield Minus Garfield

Garfield Minus Garfield is a site dedicated to removing Garfield from the Garfield comic strips in order to reveal the existential angst of a certain young Mr. Jon Arbuckle. It is a journey deep into the mind of an isolated young everyman as he fights a losing battle against loneliness and depression in a quiet American suburb.

I have always found the Garfield comics pretty depressing but couldn't quite pinpoint the source directly at John.  This confirms it.  Garfield is just the fat lasagna fiending apparition that haunts his mind as reality.

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #891 on: June 19, 2009, 04:17:53 pm
Garfield Minus Garfield is almost as telling as the Nietzsche Family Circus:

http://www.losanjealous.com/nfc/

Enjoy!

Offline Colonel Mustard

• View Profile

Reply #892 on: June 19, 2009, 11:04:50 pm
I'm 22, I'll check out the book if I can find it. I've been trying before to study anatomy and drawing it, but I believe I could benefit more from it if I knew more "basic techniques", sorta (Guess I'm a bit afraid of starting in the wrong place). So yeah, starting from the bottom and going up. I lurk alot and read all new threads and replies, so I'm familiar with that thread, it's a good one :)
Cool, I'm the same age. I've had the same desire since last summer to really learn the basics, so I've kinda shelved the pixels and been concentrating on my pencils. The Loomis series is really great for that and I enjoy them a lot. If you aren't already checking it out, conceptart.org has a fantastic atmosphere for artists looking to improve. If you want to PM me your email I'll send you some links to art threads and articles I've found interesting. It's got some book recommendations as well.

Long time reader at Conceptart.org, it's an amazing site filled with not only skilled people, but nice people too. If you have time to email me those links that'd be fantastic, I'll send you my email.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #893 on: June 22, 2009, 04:35:56 pm
Neat app for changing your Windows bootscreen

XP only allows for a 16 colour 640x480 image, so it's a good opportunity to display some pixel art
Pretty simple too, all I did was paste my image over C:\Program Files\Stardock\WinCustomize\BootSkin\skins\TimeWarp\warp.bmp, run the app and select the warp theme.
You can create your own themes but that's the easy/lazy way to do it.
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #894 on: June 22, 2009, 05:55:26 pm
Sadly, it seems as though Windows will resize that image with bilinear filtering, which will just blur it. At least, that's what my windows logo looks like when my XP boots up.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #895 on: June 22, 2009, 06:22:16 pm
Is your image 640x480?
Mine isn't stretched or anything, and I'd assume if you used a smaller image it would just be given black borders.
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #896 on: June 22, 2009, 10:13:08 pm
I'm finally 18! Ahh, strong alchoholic beverages, drugs, drivers liscence. Thousands of new ways to potentially kill myself!

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile

Reply #897 on: June 23, 2009, 02:32:21 am
Happy birthday, Opacus!  You only get one more landmark age birthday in your life that gives you more 'liberties', then after that they're the stereotypical closer to death ones.  Enjoy!

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Reply #898 on: June 23, 2009, 06:12:54 am
HI JJNAAS I FIXED YOUR AVATAR

That's awesome. The least I can do is return the favor:

These two made me laugh-snort-cry and should be immortalized somewhere. Also we finally have an Xbox360 of our own with GoW 1&2. Same username as here. Feel free to pwn me, but if my Su is playing too be sure to fall down and pretend she got you or she'll stop playing with me, and whatever you do don't run away - or move around much, she still gets dizzy watching FPS games. >_<

Also HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Opacus - but what landmark birthday comes after 18 with more liberties when he's already got booze & cars? A mid-life crisis one someplace?
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile

Reply #899 on: June 23, 2009, 06:25:46 am
Well I suppose it only applies as an American, when they let you accrue your very own alcohol legally at 21.