AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1009866 times)

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #840 on: June 03, 2009, 10:07:36 pm
BUT ORCHESTRAL MUSIC D:

Okay, well, that's the same thing as the japanese super mario bros 2 then. In some ways. Is cool I guess!

Why did metroid look so plastic though! Goddamnit! Give me gritty and weird! Gah.

I want metroid games to give me a metroidepression. I wanna be disoriented and feel lost and alone. Not many games do that. If the metroid series completely stop doing that as well then. Gah. It's a little sad!
' _ '

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #841 on: June 03, 2009, 10:10:29 pm
Heh, buy the way. If you guys like UP, I was just wondering if anyone's seen this yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXJEDUainX4

Now that, I think, is going to be excellent.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #842 on: June 03, 2009, 10:54:56 pm
What a hairdo on Threepwood. YOU'RE... GORGEOUS! Seriously, somebody needs to let LucasArts know about this little thing called the DS. It has this pointer thing, and a screen. And another screen...

I dunno, the in game graphics don't look so bad to me. I liked the water effect, and lighting looks the same as I remember. I think they're doing hte same thing as Street Fighter HD, except with less invented anatomy. I always though the pixel art for the MI games was pretty rough. It wasn't till Day of the Tentacle that I feel they had successfully blended their hand drawn art with the pixels. I think they're going the right route if they want this to appeal to the current gen of gamers. I hope they are putting this on XBLA. Can't put a full price tag on this, which is a bad move on the retail shelf. Hmm, they really need to tweak the analog stick speed, though. It's way too slow for the moment.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #843 on: June 03, 2009, 10:57:09 pm
What a hairdo on Threepwood. YOU'RE... GORGEOUS! Seriously, somebody needs to let LucasArts know about this little thing called the DS. It has this pointer thing, and a screen. And another screen...
Someone asked him ages ago if he planned on a new or old Monkey Island game coming out for DS and he said it wasn't possible on the DS.
They told him it was already possible thanks to homebrew and showed him some of the scummvm games running.
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #844 on: June 04, 2009, 01:58:09 am
Oh, really, they fixed the melee spamming? See, that annoyed me so much I haven't picked the game up in quite a while... Maybe I need to crawl back and apologize to it, then.

Also, Helm, I'm not spoiled. L4D was the first Valve game I've ever bought. I have no expectations about their good graces. The exploit I'm talking about ended up being quite serious and I heard nothing about it for months, until I stopped playing the game. Then, today, I read about a fix for it - in another game. That'd be like Bungie releasing Halo 3 in order to fix the early problems with Halo 2. And believe me, H2 was very broken early on. Some things obviously can't be fixed unless it involves a serious redesign of gameplay elements, and we got those in Halo 3, but things like the cornercamping in L4D should be a very simple fix. They just seemed to never ever get around to it.

But if it's fixed now, then I'm very happy. I'll try it out again as soon as I can.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #845 on: June 04, 2009, 02:03:37 am
how serious was this? I bought L4d at launch and it served me and my online friends well for many tens of hours. I think I got my money's worth, for ONCE buying a PC game... perhaps for the uber-elite that finish any map on the highest difficulty with just the pistols, the exploit was game-breaking.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #846 on: June 04, 2009, 02:12:30 am
Only problem I have is that L4D got generally great reviews, but always with the tag, "a very small game that will hopefully see expansions to lengthen it". And that was very true. The game is so small the whole thing can be completed in a few hours(on your very first playthrough). Luckily the AI system allows you to play through quite a few times with totally different experiences, which was fun... but the SAME small levels got boring fast. If Valve had perhaps released a larger game I wouldn't feel this way, but it almost feels as though they sold half a game, and I was hoping they'd eventually release the other half. They most likely still will(or so they said), but now I feel like they're going to be putting more effort into the sequel.

how serious was this? I bought L4d at launch and it served me and my online friends well for many tens of hours. I think I got my money's worth, for ONCE buying a PC game... perhaps for the uber-elite that finish any map on the highest difficulty with just the pistols, the exploit was game-breaking.
I think it's mainly a problem for those who play random matches. When you play with friends you're in a much more controlled environment because after all... they're friends. However, random matches yield many bug abusers and such that can really ruin matches. These sort of tactics were very widespread online.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 02:14:38 am by Dusty »

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #847 on: June 04, 2009, 03:12:50 pm
Normally I'm of the "pay for what's in the box" mentality, but Valve promised to offer bug and content updates for L4D, referencing the support they've given to TF2. I hope they don't consider the one tiny level they recently released to be a fulfillment of that promise, especially considering the extensive updates they've given to TF2. As long as they continue to fix bugs and maybe add a campaign for L4D, I don't care what they do with the sequel. Make it a "horror" game in broad daylight with frying pans and fiddle music for all I care... oh wait.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #848 on: June 04, 2009, 08:50:15 pm
It was a pretty big problem when playing on Expert with random crowds. I unfortunately didn't have enough friends online at the same time as I was when I wanted to play it. At its worst, a game would consist of me finding a game, everyone agreeing on playing on Expert, going through a level like normal until a crescendo event - the machinegun room in the first campaign and the hospital elevator being particular favorites - where suddenly all the other players would initiate the event with zero preparation then huddle down in a corner and tape their melee buttons down.

A few times I was joined by another sane person who sometimes managed to convince the others to play normally, or sometimes cause them to end up dying, which of course meant we all failed. I'm cool with dying, that's why I wanna play on Expert. Apparently most other players aren't. A particular scenario I remember involved three people hopping into a corner by the elevator in the hospital, and after someone demanded I join in and I refused to, explaining that I want the game to be a challenge, he set me on fire with a molotov.

Short story shorter, it got to the point where a lot of players apparently considered the offenders to be the ones who tried to play the game as intended, instead of relying 100% on the melee button during the parts that are supposed to be the hardest.

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #849 on: June 04, 2009, 10:01:54 pm
Well honestly, I'd be wont to do the same thing in that situation, deliberately eschewing intelligent strategy based on some misguided ideal of how the game should be played is the kind of thing best saved for anything other than co-op games. A player going off on his own like that is usually a tell of a griefer to some degree.

Also there's this here, if anyone wants to play with me or be my friend <3