AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1004173 times)

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #830 on: June 03, 2009, 02:10:33 pm
looks like shit disney to me.

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #831 on: June 03, 2009, 03:22:51 pm
Everything I've seen so far about L4D2 disappoints me. I honestly hope it's a two-month late April Fool's joke. Valve plays pranks, right?

The original L4D has a lot of bugs that need to be ironed out. Since it's release, they've only updated it with one truly new (but small) level. It was released with only 20 levels. I hope they continue to add updates (as they promised pre-release) despite the announcement of a sequel.

I've watched all the gameplay videos I could find for L4D2, and it looks like an elaborate re-skin. They've added new characters, weapons, and special enemy types... but it's still the same game. On top of that, nothing really says "horror" to me... broad daylight, goofy weapons.

I would've liked to see the sequel take the game to a new scale. Make it L8D, with 8 survivors and thousands of zombies. Make the maps an entire location, rather than glorified tunnels from point A to B. Instead of giving you more weapons to fight one zombie at a time, make the weapons more group-effective. Flamethrower, rocket launcher, etc.

These are the kinds of improvements that make a sequel.

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #832 on: June 03, 2009, 04:14:01 pm
New metroid feels like a slomo punch into the soul for me

Not because it looks awful but because it looks wrong for fandom reasons. Also because graphics look like plastic and that the 'pallette' and design is completely n64ishly flat and one-colored. None of the gritty organicness that I think of when I think of metroid.

They seem to strip away all the WHAT THE HELL-ness from the games and replacing it with otherstuffs. It's cool. It's something else. It's not what i wanted. Boohoo.

I'm definitely feeling more like that.
like, even though the beginning was a flashback, that chick looked like a final fantasy character, not a younger Samus.  I'm too shocked to formulate a valid opinion, though.  I won't judge too hard until I get some more information.  Interesting direction, yes, but although I'm sure it'll be a great game, it won't be a metroid game.  Once again though, I'm not judging till I get more info.  We'll see how it develops.

OMFG
The Wii Vitality sensor?  wtf?  so STUPID.  it's a fucking game system, not a children's doctor-dress-up plastic thing.   !yus!

NSMB2 looks great, though.  I'll be buying that.
Yeh, I just saw UP yesterday.  I laughed, I cried, more than once, definitely a buy.  Who else saw it?  It's too amazing to explain, you just have to see it.  Pixar gets better every time.  I was like, ouch, first five minutes of the movie.  No diolouge is happening, and I'm crying.  Dammit, Pixar, you're too good.

3D gave me more headaches than pleasure.  The short in front of UP, Partly Cloudy, it genius. 

I love pixar.
EDIT:
Quote from: Souly
Umm Srike, I didn't use anything to make any kind of music?
I don't know where you are getting this idea.

I used a song from Youtube's collection.
That's where the song for this video came from if you're wondering.
I accidentally un-installed my fruityloops or maybe I would have tried to make my own music.
Oh.   :D  Either way, the song was made with MusicShake, the world's shittiest music program.

I'd assumed you'd used Musicshake, because it's super-easy and quick but produces super-juvenile music.  Game developers use it to make quick functional music for games.

Shrike
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 04:18:24 pm by Shrike »

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #833 on: June 03, 2009, 04:43:43 pm
The new Team Ico game looks AMAZING!!! Breathtaking, even.
Whoa, link please?

Everything I've seen so far about L4D2 disappoints me. I honestly hope it's a two-month late April Fool's joke. Valve plays pranks, right?

The original L4D has a lot of bugs that need to be ironed out. Since it's release, they've only updated it with one truly new (but small) level. It was released with only 20 levels. I hope they continue to add updates (as they promised pre-release) despite the announcement of a sequel.

I've watched all the gameplay videos I could find for L4D2, and it looks like an elaborate re-skin. They've added new characters, weapons, and special enemy types... but it's still the same game. On top of that, nothing really says "horror" to me... broad daylight, goofy weapons.

I would've liked to see the sequel take the game to a new scale. Make it L8D, with 8 survivors and thousands of zombies. Make the maps an entire location, rather than glorified tunnels from point A to B. Instead of giving you more weapons to fight one zombie at a time, make the weapons more group-effective. Flamethrower, rocket launcher, etc.

These are the kinds of improvements that make a sequel.
I agree. They're pushing out a sequel before they even expanded the first one(like they should have, because nearly everyon who bought it was expecting DLC because the game was so damn small). I just don't think it was time yet for a L4D2, as all of those changes could have easily been put into L4D.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 04:53:15 pm by Dusty »

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #834 on: June 03, 2009, 05:58:57 pm
If they were to change anything structurally about the game I would have liked to see more physical cooperative abilities between characters as well as some more work on the "siege" parts of the game - being able to make barricades, etc. There doesn't seem to be any sort of strategic updates to the game at all, they're just adding extra polish. Hence it seems less like a sequel and more like an expansion pack.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #835 on: June 03, 2009, 09:22:48 pm
I read that they added the Charger special infected to solve one of the flaws with the first game, people cornercamping and spamming melee throughout crescendos without anything being able to touch them.

Well, thanks for including the fix for that in the game I didn't buy and haven't had a problem with yet because it's not out yet! Hey, how about making those fixes for the game that's already out? There's a lot of cool stuff that can be added to the experience to make it deeper. Yeah, like melee weapons, that's a good one. You can save those for the sequel. But please, if you have a fix for the biggest thing people are complaining about with the game, why not include it in the actual game people are complaining about? Are they seriously trying to force people to buy the sequel by not fixing a balance issue in the first game?

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #836 on: June 03, 2009, 09:31:06 pm
I read that they added the Charger special infected to solve one of the flaws with the first game, people cornercamping and spamming melee throughout crescendos without anything being able to touch them.

Well, thanks for including the fix for that in the game I didn't buy and haven't had a problem with yet because it's not out yet! Hey, how about making those fixes for the game that's already out? There's a lot of cool stuff that can be added to the experience to make it deeper. Yeah, like melee weapons, that's a good one. You can save those for the sequel. But please, if you have a fix for the biggest thing people are complaining about with the game, why not include it in the actual game people are complaining about? Are they seriously trying to force people to buy the sequel by not fixing a balance issue in the first game?
Actually they added a cool-down if you spam the melee too much. I believe it's after 3 melee's you have to wait a few seconds before you can melee again.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #837 on: June 03, 2009, 09:42:45 pm
Oh also Super Mario Galaxy 2, why did the trailer not have real orchestral music? Too expensive? Very confusing. Feels like one of those disney movie sequels with horrible animation and no plot.

Nintendo feeling like horrible disney makes me worry. (they're probably gonna make a shitton of money if going in that direction, too! : D)
' _ '

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #838 on: June 03, 2009, 09:53:02 pm

I think you're spoiled by Vavle's past good graces. Just because they often support their games extensively doesn't mean they owe you to continue to do so. Finding fixes for problems and implementing them on sequels is pretty much why there are sequels.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #839 on: June 03, 2009, 10:00:12 pm
Oh also Super Mario Galaxy 2, why did the trailer not have real orchestral music? Too expensive? Very confusing. Feels like one of those disney movie sequels with horrible animation and no plot.

Nintendo feeling like horrible disney makes me worry. (they're probably gonna make a shitton of money if going in that direction, too! : D)
They're basically calling Galaxy 2 an expansion pack aimed at the hardcore players that wanted more and for it to be harder, sounds good to me.

Back to Metroid, pretty sure the footage resembling gameplay was a proof of concept, the CG stuff is probably final and being used in cutscenes though.
At the moment I'm only really excited that a new Metroid is on the horizon, and it looks to be filling in the gaps with Samus's commander Adam she referenced in fusion.
Life without knowledge is death in disguise