AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1004318 times)

LODYblokady

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #820 on: June 03, 2009, 06:12:42 am
I don't like how everything looks gradient-raped.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #821 on: June 03, 2009, 06:16:09 am
@Cow: Ah, now that is something to look forward listening too. And to anyone else who doesn't like the .flac file type. Just get one of the many free converters on the net and swap the file. There is no sound loss and the transfer is seamless. I would reccomend using Switch. You should be able to find it on downloads.com. And the best part is, it's (should be anyway, I think) free. At least the version I'm using is.

This is also the first E3 that I'm able to watch the conferences and demos live. I don't know why your worried Takam, the new Metroid looks fine to me. One of my favorite things so far is the SW: The Old Republic MMO. That trailer looked sweet.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #822 on: June 03, 2009, 07:02:26 am
I love that the new Metroid is going the 3rd person route. Should be interesting to see it done. Hated all the build up and cut scene stuff with the super serious expression people. Stern gazes remind me of my tormented childhood and neglective parent figures.  I don't understand why they are going to have FPS scenes, which I have a sneaking suspicion will work like quicktime events to be performed at critical moments in boss battles. Love all the neat wrestling bits during hte boss fights, except they are probably quicktimish gimmicks. I wish they could incorporate that stuff in a more interactive way. There's no real indication of how linear the game will be, but I'm going to assume very. Looking forward to the new trailer at the next E3.

Offline ter-o

• Elitist scum
    • View Profile

Reply #823 on: June 03, 2009, 07:14:31 am
Did you guys already see this: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-the-secret/50151

It's a HD remix of Secret of Monkey Island for Xbox360 and.... ew....ew....ew.... I feel molested now. :( It could have been really good remix, if they'd done it for example Curse of Monkey Island style but this is just awful.

I almost cried out loud when I saw that. They took my whole childhood and raped it. :'(
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 07:17:52 am by ter-o »
I don't know everything, I just know everything else.
Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #824 on: June 03, 2009, 07:28:56 am
Yeah, I was reading about that earlier today. Sharprm gave the link on PJ.

http://grumpygamer.com/8280380
http://www.lucasarts.com/games/monkeyisland/

I really despise when video game companies try to milk an old franchise for money. Even if the new game might be 'better' in every way, it's usually really not, and it's hard to be optimistic about it, when they're messing with your sweet memories, and changing the game as you knew it.

Being over-anal maybe, but, bottom line, I can truly say I would have preferred they left it alone, or didn't make such drastic changes.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 07:30:56 am by Dr D »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #825 on: June 03, 2009, 10:05:36 am
New metroid feels like a slomo punch into the soul for me

Not because it looks awful but because it looks wrong for fandom reasons. Also because graphics look like plastic and that the 'pallette' and design is completely n64ishly flat and one-colored. None of the gritty organicness that I think of when I think of metroid.

They seem to strip away all the WHAT THE HELL-ness from the games and replacing it with otherstuffs. It's cool. It's something else. It's not what i wanted. Boohoo.
' _ '

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #826 on: June 03, 2009, 10:19:02 am
Did you guys already see this: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-the-secret/50151

It's a HD remix of Secret of Monkey Island for Xbox360 and.... ew....ew....ew.... I feel molested now. :( It could have been really good remix, if they'd done it for example Curse of Monkey Island style but this is just awful.

I almost cried out loud when I saw that. They took my whole childhood and raped it. :'(

The art is messy and horrible and the animations are crap. No atmosphere, horrible colour usage. has The pixel art is objectively still miles better.

Offline willfaulds

• View Profile

Reply #827 on: June 03, 2009, 10:41:28 am
I was very pleased to see you can swap between pixel and modern graphics at any time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdZCNWO7izE (towards the end)

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #828 on: June 03, 2009, 01:23:16 pm
My summary of E3 so far:

Not excited about God of Metroid May Cry Gaiden's Inferno. >:(

HD Remix of Monkey Island looks like bollocks. The Tell-Tale one will be awesome although the renderer they're using is getting very long in the tooth.

Left 4 Dead 2 looks like someone saw the first game and thought "This is way to atmospheric and stylish! It needs to be more generic!"

The new Team Ico game looks AMAZING!!! Breathtaking, even.

That new game that Bethseda is making sounds awesome.

I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline ter-o

• Elitist scum
    • View Profile

Reply #829 on: June 03, 2009, 01:35:57 pm
I was very pleased to see you can swap between pixel and modern graphics at any time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdZCNWO7izE (towards the end)

But who really wants to play original monkey island with a pad, seriously?

In the remake there are lots of pretty decent character art and backgrounds are mostly quite ok, but I can not excuse the style decision for Guybrush. The hair for crying out loud! And all the animations seen so far are really crappy too.

:'(

I don't know everything, I just know everything else.
Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda