AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1004796 times)

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #730 on: May 11, 2009, 06:44:42 pm
I just came back from seeing the new ST movie. It was.. epic, I suppose.

Though kind of true, this franchise needed a reboot. And only a movie like this could've done it.

I agree that a Star Trek movie like this was probably necessary, and I liked the new Kirk and Spock, Bones was pretty good as well, so if they do more movies with this new crew I'll probably go see them.

But I still like the old movies better. ST1: The Motion Picture (Director's Cut), Wrath of Khan, The Voyage Home and First Contact have a unique feel to them and I like watching them again and again, they mature well, whereas this new movie.. while it was a fun ride, I don't feel like watching it again.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #731 on: May 11, 2009, 06:59:33 pm
I actually loved it!
My previous top 3 were Wrath of Khan, Undiscovered Country and First Contact, but this one I would rate at least as high as Khan or maybe even a little higher. It's an origin story so there's a lot that couldn't be crammed in but I hope Abrams and crew stick around long enough to make a self-contained trilogy. If I had to describe it in one word, it would be FUN. Fun, fun, fun! More fun than any other Star Trek film (even Voyage Home), and waaaay more fun than the Star Wars prequels.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #732 on: May 11, 2009, 07:08:17 pm
Yup, saw star trek. Thought it was an allright rollercoaster. Spock did good, Kirk was aight.
BUT
It's star trek only superficially. There's really nothing trek about it. Themes like difficulty of communication, exploration, understanding different life, seeing humanity in different perspectives.
It's an action flick and being star trek only made it worse by strait jacketing it and preventing any awesome bad-assery type of action, which is something this movie was going for, but fell way short.
Also it went through on full throttle which made it very dull and Michael Bay like. The battles weren't very imaginative, there was no mystery, very little suspense thanks to the way things were conveniently and constantly pulled out of thin air, which made it seem like a story told by a hyperactive child.
Music was totally forgettable too, which is a shame cause it was like a two hour music video otherwise. Lens flares everywhere and all.

The beginning made me think of wing commander prophecy for some reason.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #733 on: May 11, 2009, 07:46:06 pm
It's star trek only superficially. There's really nothing trek about it. Themes like difficulty of communication, exploration, understanding different life, seeing humanity in different perspectives.

Indeed. As if exploring deep space and going where no one has gone before wasn't exciting, dangerous and mysterious enough, so the screen writers feel a need to come up with the inevitable revengeful villains and their doomsday weapons.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 07:51:21 pm by JJ Naas »

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Reply #734 on: May 12, 2009, 12:34:29 am
huZba has all the words for star trek that I couldn't find to describe the unfulfilled feeling I walked outta the cinema with...

I'd LOVE a Wing Commander movie. Just stitch together the cutscenes with gameplay and I'll still go watch it. :)
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #735 on: May 12, 2009, 10:53:19 am
Footage of the new Contra Wiiware game

The action looks decent, but the level design looks pretty uninspired in some places.
Also, it looks like it's using the wayforward sprites, hopefully those guys have some sorta hand in it.
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #736 on: May 12, 2009, 01:49:36 pm
Indeed. As if exploring deep space and going where no one has gone before wasn't exciting, dangerous and mysterious enough, so the screen writers feel a need to come up with the inevitable revengeful villains and their doomsday weapons.

Well to be fair, only two Star Trek movies have ever been about going to strange new worlds: The Final Frontier, and Insurrection.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #737 on: May 12, 2009, 03:08:26 pm
Well to be fair, only two Star Trek movies have ever been about going to strange new worlds: The Final Frontier, and Insurrection.

I'd include the first movie in this category as well. Yes, they saved the world but most of the time they were being puzzled about the entity... and most of the other themes listed by huZba were present as well. It was trippy, and The Director's Cut is awesome. They did what Lucas should've done: they added new/better special effects but only such that they could've done with the technology at the time (If they had had more money).

The Earth on The Voyage Home was sort of a strange new world for them, I think it's one of the best attempts ever in movies to see our present world through different eyes. Done with great humour as well. Although Kirk and Spock had already previously visited the 1930's in The City on the Edge of Forever. My favourite series is TNG, I loved those episodes where they encounter something strange and weird stuff starts happening on Enterprise.

Well, we'll see what the next movie does, now that the ending of this movie promised all of those things I watch ST for. Not that I despise fast paced space action. On the contrary. I just wish ST at least wouldn't go any more in that direction than what this movie did.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 03:10:44 pm by JJ Naas »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #738 on: May 12, 2009, 07:15:15 pm
I watched a big part of the new Star Trek movie as well. Absolute tripe that insults the intelligence of any viewer that cares to actively use it while watching it. Time-travel? Parallel realities? Conviniently placed Old Spocks? Irrationally irrational young spocks that maroon people at moment's notice? Ridiculous video clip pacing where no humanity can breathe? Absolutely no wonderment at the unknown, the distant unfathomable? Bleh. I don't understand all these reboots.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #739 on: May 13, 2009, 03:22:09 am
I watched a big part of the new Star Trek movie as well. Absolute tripe that insults the intelligence of any viewer that cares to actively use it while watching it. Time-travel? Parallel realities? Conviniently placed Old Spocks? Irrationally irrational young spocks that maroon people at moment's notice? Ridiculous video clip pacing where no humanity can breathe? Absolutely no wonderment at the unknown, the distant unfathomable? Bleh. I don't understand all these reboots.

A bit harsh review, wouldn't you say? I saw it as a popcorn flick. Easy going reboot, with a bit of heart. I liked it. I don't expect all movies I view to test my intelligence, despite their source material. I enjoy a bit of brainless action to jog my brain a bit, before thought overload occurs. Only point I agree with Helm is the fact that they treat alt. reality, and time travel as if it it were nothing. These are things man has been trying to obtain for so long, and conquer, yet the movie makes the viewer feel as if the characters within it treat it like it's a simple concept, that can casually be thrown around. Maybe I'm more offended by it, because I have a story that centers around time-travel(a bit, not like the kind you think), and feel the power to do so shouldn't be treated so bluntly. Such a wonderful thing, time is. It's not meant to be controlled, or understood. Moreso, just meant to be lived with....in my humble opinion.
my back hurts...