AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1004196 times)

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #670 on: April 13, 2009, 10:21:08 pm
Hey, I am wondering. . . were there any cowboy-shooting games back in the past?  You know, some old arcade lawmen/outlaws duels. . . with pixel-art-based graphics and, say, a static third-person view.  Perhaps I should be ashamed now, but except a few Flash-based pieces I just don't know any.  Seems classic.

One of my absolute coin-op favs from yesteryear is Blood Bros, sequel to the aforementioned Cabal. I think it's pretty much exactly what you're looking for. Wild Guns was also sort-of an homage to this game.

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7163

TAD Corp. made a handful of awesome, quirky arcade games (including Toki, a platformer about a spitting ape) before they switched gears and started making beauty products or some weird shit like that.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #671 on: April 13, 2009, 10:39:33 pm
Am I the only one who's not Christian but celebrates their holidays anyways?

By celebrate what do you mean? If you mean getting candy for Valentine's day, Easter, and Halloween, and presents for Christmas, then no, that's just buying into a marketing campaign... If you mean going to a celebratory mass for each holiday, then unlikely but you've got a better chance.  ;)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #672 on: April 13, 2009, 10:53:46 pm
Cabal taught me that if anyone's shooting at me, I should just do a roll. Roll with the bullets. Roll with them. It always works.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #673 on: April 13, 2009, 11:50:27 pm
I used to use gamemaker, but I realised over a year back that everytime I wanted to do something(palette swapping, proper collision, dynamic map loading) that I kept having ot throw away the code it provided for often basic things and replace it with my own in an unintuitive way. So, I made the switch to XNA and haven't looked back. I'm currently working on completing a general2d engine, initially in sideview, but once I get most of the features built in, I'm going to extend it towards a typical jrpg top-down view. I'm pretty decent with programming and was already familiar with C++ syntax, so it was a beneficial and relatively painless switch. There's a pretty awesome support community and tons of blogs with lots of helpful articles. The tools provided, like Visual C#'s code editor, are incredible.

Just putting this out there for any gamemakers growing tired with the program. I was initially attracted to GM because of the ease, speed and what I thought looked like flexibilty. I wanted to make some games, but didn't want to spend 5 years on the programming.

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Theodore Customs

Reply #674 on: April 14, 2009, 12:35:22 am
Hehe, thanks again!

Hmm. . . Blood Bros feels a bit familiar -- might have seen some kid playing it on a machine some time ago, though I'm pretty sure I haven't ever seen/played Cabal!  Shame!!

I assume I'll burn in hell now? :)
Even a common man by obtaining knowledge becomes a Buddha.
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #675 on: April 14, 2009, 05:39:17 pm
Cabal taught me that if anyone's shooting at me, I should just do a roll. Roll with the bullets. Roll with them. It always works.

Same lesson as in Lethal Weapon 1 then?

Well, Cabal is in turn Operation Wolf with a 3rd person view added, Op Wolf is a hard cored version of Duck Hunt, Duck Hunt is.. how far can this be tracked?

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #676 on: April 14, 2009, 05:52:50 pm
You can trace any game's roots back to Duck Hunt. Even Pong.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #677 on: April 14, 2009, 06:19:18 pm
You can trace any game's roots back to Duck Hunt. Even Pong.

No way! Even Spacewar?!

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Reply #678 on: April 14, 2009, 07:18:58 pm
Well, Cabal is in turn Operation Wolf with a 3rd person view added, Op Wolf is a hard cored version of Duck Hunt, Duck Hunt is.. how far can this be tracked?

I hate to be a smartass I love it but Cabal was most likely inspired by the rather obscure DECO coin-op "Shoot Out" from -85. The only credit Operation Wolf could get would be inspiration for the military-theme, but then again the whole commando soldier thing was all the rage back in the 80's, so you could blame Stallone and Schwarzenegger for that as well.

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #679 on: April 15, 2009, 05:16:51 am
Magnavox Odyssey had a shooting gallery game with a light-rifle.
Also there were duck hunting light gun games way back in 1930s
Seeburg Ray-O-Lite