AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1004149 times)

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #570 on: March 17, 2009, 12:48:27 am
I'm sure it is a good alternative to public school for intelligent kids with intelligent parents. In fact I'm sure it is better for many kids, I just feel that it is abused by some parents. Glad you are not part of that.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #571 on: March 17, 2009, 04:12:14 am
I was homeschooled and the stereotypes are definitely out there but most of us are pretty normal. I didn't grow up on a farm or get taught that scientists are evil or go through high school friendless. Heck it was fun, I'd finish at like noon and then draw or write until my friends got out of school. I was able to develop my art a lot more because of it.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #572 on: March 17, 2009, 05:42:24 am
My cousins were homeschooled and were weird as hell, but that's partly because of them being jahova's witnesses.
Never really talked to them much, then one day they left the country because "they had had enough of us persecuting them"

Australia can keep em  ::)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 07:44:30 am by .TakaM »
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #573 on: March 17, 2009, 07:32:17 am
I'd send my kids to school just for the social aspect, but if someone is going to homeschool their kids they better make efforts to make sure their kids get out there and interact.

most of the homeschooled kids I know are weird and clueless when it comes to social interaction

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #574 on: March 17, 2009, 08:10:39 am
A lot of parents are whackadoo, not just the wacky religious ones. There's a lot of people i wouldn't trust with parenting, let alone homeschooling. Getting exposed to many different people and different moral standings is healthy no matter how smart your parents are.
-
Oh and in school you'll also get to be with people you don't like.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 09:44:00 am by huZba »

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #575 on: March 17, 2009, 02:53:22 pm
I was homeschooled and the stereotypes are definitely out there but most of us are pretty normal. I didn't grow up on a farm or get taught that scientists are evil or go through high school friendless. Heck it was fun, I'd finish at like noon and then draw or write until my friends got out of school. I was able to develop my art a lot more because of it.

Exactly.
I hate it when people make the social arguement, it's not always a problem.  I have a lot of friends, around my age and not so much, and all of us are close, and not all of my friends are homeschooled.  In fact, I would almost say homeschooling done properly results in a more socially-able child, but it really depends on the parent.

Quote from: Darien
most of the homeschooled kids I know are weird and clueless when it comes to social interaction.
I don't think I'd say most, but some certainly are incapable.  And how are you sure being in school provides a better social expreience?  I get most of my learning from classes with a lot of kids.  I'm in a shakespeare class the I'm performing in, and there are 20something kids in the class.  I take a lot of intellectual classes as well, which make the best IMHO out of a class experience.

Quote from: huZba
Getting exposed to many different people and different moral standings is healthy no matter how smart your parents are.
Right.  For sure, I totally agree.  And I do get exposed a lot.  I got lucky, my parents aren't religious and chose to let me decide if I want to be or not.  I think religion is something that makes one sheltered.  One of my homeschooled friends is religious, and he is extremely sheltered, he barely knows what the internet is, and his parents are probably deciding what profession he's going into.  I get exposed lots;  especially this year, because of the MUN conference, which should be interesting.
Two days a week I go to a homeschool in a... school.  But all the kids there are homeschooled.  I take a Spanish class in one, a Dance class in the other, as well as a Music history class and the MUN class.  In these I meet a lot of different approaches and people, some religious, some not, and all of the classes allow kids of all ages to mingle and they do.

One thing that bugs me about public school is that you can't really mingle with people not exactly your age.  I think that's one of the most inportant forms of exposure.

But, as I've said, it depends.  I know amazing people can come out of both Homeschooling and Public schooling, and it depends heavily on the child and teacher.  (I don't know much about private schools, and I don't think they do much for one either, but please enlighten me if anyone can.  I really don't know.)

EDIT:
Quote from: huZba
Oh and in school you'll also get to be with people you don't like.
I meet PLENTY of people who I don't like, some more than others.  But either way I usually have to cooperate with them, which is an important lesson.
Later
Shrike
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 02:56:24 pm by Shrike »

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #576 on: March 17, 2009, 04:31:27 pm
I remember reading a while back taht a large proportion of home-schooled children go on College and University than their public school counterparts. I think I'll go look for that study again. It makes sense to me, cause I don't see the irresponsible or idiotic types being all that attracted to homeschooling. Too much work, much easier to ship the kids off to public school and let the baby sitters there take care of the kiddies.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #577 on: March 17, 2009, 04:54:09 pm
If i ever had kids I would totally homeschool them for elementary school stuff, tho in Germany homeschooling is illegal :o
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #578 on: March 17, 2009, 05:22:34 pm
I remember reading a while back taht a large proportion of home-schooled children go on College and University than their public school counterparts. I think I'll go look for that study again. It makes sense to me, cause I don't see the irresponsible or idiotic types being all that attracted to homeschooling. Too much work, much easier to ship the kids off to public school and let the baby sitters there take care of the kiddies.

I would say at least 90% of the homeschoolers I knew growing up ended up going through college (and not private religious colleges either) and got at least their bachelor's degree. Actually college was kinda disappointing for me; after years of being self-disciplined in studying on my own I felt like my college studies were all super dumbed down to patronize all the slackers.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 05:26:13 pm by Ben2theEdge »
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #579 on: March 17, 2009, 07:00:16 pm
Higher education exists to teach people that don't have the fervent drive to teach themselves, generally. I don't say this to condemn anyone, I am kinda also one of these people. But do keep in mind I have learned more from Pixelation than by going to a fancy ass private school to study comics cartoon and animation.

I do allow for the possibility of brilliant, deeply charismatic teachers that might convey more than one is able to learn on their own in some of these institutions, but these are few and far between.