AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1004145 times)

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #450 on: February 17, 2009, 06:40:09 pm
I'm not gonna lie, I'm super-psyched about it! Didn't like the initially released screens so much but the end result is awesomesauce.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #451 on: February 17, 2009, 08:15:31 pm

http://www.cpczone.net/boards/viewtopic.php?f=5&p=18624
full set of these (fan-made?) cpc overscan screens, mostly from 80s action movie posters.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 08:31:00 pm by tocky »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #452 on: February 18, 2009, 05:50:33 pm
Banding meaning a different thing in other sections of digital technical talk isn't a problem, or at least is asmuch as dithering meaning a different thing (it does) or even pixelation meaning a different thing (it does). We can't search for words that nobody else has ever used ever. I do not have any personal stake in the name of 'banding' at all, and it was I think Peppermint Pig who first noticed the effect and named it 'vertical breaking' but I do not use that term because it also happens horizontally, and calling it horizontal/vertical breaking is too much for me, and 'breaking' is too little, too vague.

Re: why not call banding shitty AA: because there's shitty AA that bands, and there's shitty AA that doesn't band. There's also good AA that bands, and good AA that doesn't band. I need to write a tutorial on how to approach banding, I think.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 10:17:45 pm by Helm »

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #453 on: February 18, 2009, 09:21:38 pm
re: shitty AA

You didn't actually have to respond to this, because it is an inherently bad idea. Saying that stuff is "shitty" doesn't really tell you why you shouldn't do it, and besides telling people that their stuff is shitty will piss them off, and they won't listen to you anymore. Please don't take my more horrible ideas seriously, I only mentioned it as a straw man against constantly referring back to AA, and possibly because I was pissed because of the sel-bri thing. I think a lot of people still don't get AA really, I think is my point. Lots of people have a good intuitive understanding of how it should work, but I haven't seen a lot of science or good explanations about aliasing in general or AA in particular.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 09:43:40 pm by tocky »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #454 on: February 18, 2009, 10:19:40 pm
Well besides 'shitty' we could tell people their AA needs work, but the effect is separate and I would say requires specific consideration. Banding is not a 'secret technique'. It is an inherent effect of pixel art, a fault that is often repeated and should be looked into much more carefully than it is. People seem to instinctively learn to avoid unfavourable bands, but instinct is one thing and proper codification is another. Soon.

Ptoing has SCIENCE! on aa. He should show you.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #455 on: February 18, 2009, 10:30:08 pm
I am still working on that D:
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #456 on: February 19, 2009, 08:39:41 pm
My brother's bin rushed to hospital with appendicitis  :( keepin him over night and he's avin surgery tomorrow.

Well worried, seems pretty bad  :'(
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #457 on: February 19, 2009, 08:54:31 pm
I hope everything goes as good as it can go, man  :(

Offline Colonel Mustard

• View Profile

Reply #458 on: February 19, 2009, 09:55:51 pm
My brother's bin rushed to hospital with appendicitis  :( keepin him over night and he's avin surgery tomorrow.

If it's caught early on it should be fairly safe, I don't believe the procedure it self is that dangerous, pretty routine, but the actual rupturing of the appendix could be (if it goes that far). I had appendicitis as a 7 year old. The appendix ruptured, healed, ruptured, healed, etc over the course of four-five months. This was back in '94 and left a pretty big scar that's still visible.

Hoping everything goes well!

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #459 on: February 19, 2009, 10:37:52 pm

Ouch.   :sry:

All the best.  Wish him luck for me.
Older or younger brother, if you don't mind talking about it?