AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1011141 times)

Offline Emtch

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #360 on: January 27, 2009, 11:41:16 pm
All this fuzz about a little comic. It's the same with every forum I've ever been on, as soon as someone makes a religion joke people go batshit.

SO WHAT IF SOMEONE INSULTS YOUR IMAGINARY FRIEND?
Stop taking shit and decide for yourself whether or not to believe.

If people want to believe in an almighty being that creates it's own enemies and contradicts itself, the fine.
But don't get mad at us realists for believing in the suff that actually makes sense and that has proof it's correct.

I hate being rude but, shut up.
You clearly didn't read through the discussion and you are being the main offender here. Worst than going batshit over something, is going batshit over nothing which is clearly your case right here.

I'm completely calm. And yes I did read the discussion.
Worse than goin batshit over something, is jumping conclusions, which is exactly what you're doing here. Ignorance at it's worst.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #361 on: January 28, 2009, 12:06:30 am
Please no name calling and please also, don't tell people to shut up. The conversation's been civil up to now and I see no reason for this ugliness.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #362 on: January 28, 2009, 12:46:29 am
Perhaps it's time to give this discussion its own topic? This is the off-topic thread after all.
Very interesting to read btw guys.

Science is all about trying to find answers, as far as i understand or hope. If you don't know something for sure (or as sure as to be the logical choice), why go with an option such as a god to understand the reason for your existance or those unanswered questions - something which is only backable by belief?

Also i personally find it very sad when someone fears what would happen after death so much that they would believe in, worship or follow the moral rules of something just incase.
One thing that really shook me off from religion was afterlife. The whole idea of a bad afterlife and a good aftelife really frustrate me. You cannot control where or when in the world you were born, or as a result who teaches you as you grow up or the experiences you eventually come across that shape your personality and life. If you are a bad person, it's not necissarily your fault, in the same way that every child is born innocent. And the vision of a infinite good afterlife, or heaven, i find extremely worrying. It would make that life worthless, having endless time and goodness and equality. There would be no point in it.
Also if you are reincarnated, surely there would be no sense of you in that new reincarnation - how can you possibly know, or act upon the fact you are a reincarnation. Even if at the end you can look upon your experiences, why not just look at the experiences of any group of animals or people? What is the difference? What is the point?

I constantly spell religion, religeon! Goddammit lol.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 01:26:59 am by Larwick »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #363 on: January 28, 2009, 01:04:18 am
How about no? Religion is off topic when it comes to pixelling, so there wont be an extra thread for this or any other thing not somehow related to pixelling.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #364 on: January 28, 2009, 01:39:10 am
How about no? Religion is off topic when it comes to pixelling, so there wont be an extra thread for this or any other thing not somehow related to pixelling.

Ah yeah sorry, forgot this was [Pixel Art] General Discussion.  :-[

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #365 on: January 28, 2009, 01:43:50 am
Cool. tons of things to read, not enough time to read 'em all and make any kind of cohesive response.

I do, however, disagree on the "Religion, It's something you choose!" statement made much earlier.

I was born(?) and raised a christian, taught christian fundamentals and ideals and told that there only is christianity, and all other options are some voodoo nonsense... grossly exaggerated of course, but the idea is there. Christianity is the "only way" and anything else I learned about in school came with a "This isn't true" disclaimer.

Christianity wasn't a choice for me 'till I was 18, and even now I run on a bastardized, personalized version of christianity because nothing else has ever presented itself as a reasonable alternative to believing in an omnipresent deity. I theoretically have a choice in the matter, but the most choice I have is to get the tattoo I have removed and get another one elsewhere; there will always be traces of the original.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #366 on: January 28, 2009, 01:49:28 am
That sounds like an extreme case scenario there tho. Of course the amount of indoctrination at an early age will have an effect on your believes, though I know people who were raised quite religious and they think religion is bogus, and mean it. Just because for you youe upbringing left a deeper religious indent in your superego does not mean this is the same for everyone.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Theodore Customs

Reply #367 on: January 28, 2009, 02:50:38 am
The vast majority of people (+90%) living in a country I was born and raised in declare themselves as Christian Catholics.  I do not.

Quote from: Gautama Buddha
Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.
Even a common man by obtaining knowledge becomes a Buddha.
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #368 on: January 28, 2009, 03:09:23 am
Cool. tons of things to read, not enough time to read 'em all and make any kind of cohesive response.

I do, however, disagree on the "Religion, It's something you choose!" statement made much earlier.

I was born(?) and raised a christian, taught christian fundamentals and ideals and told that there only is christianity, and all other options are some voodoo nonsense... grossly exaggerated of course, but the idea is there. Christianity is the "only way" and anything else I learned about in school came with a "This isn't true" disclaimer.

Christianity wasn't a choice for me 'till I was 18, and even now I run on a bastardized, personalized version of christianity because nothing else has ever presented itself as a reasonable alternative to believing in an omnipresent deity. I theoretically have a choice in the matter, but the most choice I have is to get the tattoo I have removed and get another one elsewhere; there will always be traces of the original.
How do you disagree on the "decision" statement?

I was also born and raised a christian, going to church every sunday etc, always felt terrible for even thinking about considering other possibilities, but it took catholic highschool to make me realize how much I hated that mind control.
To be perfectly blunt, I find less and less to respect about religion as I grow, there are still values worth admiring, but I believe they aren't exclusive to religion in the first place.

I'm still comforted by the idea of a God, but I view that as a personal shortcoming.
No offense to anyone implied, I'm not a very philosophical person and I don't have much more to say about the matter.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 03:13:17 am by .TakaM »
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #369 on: January 28, 2009, 04:09:33 am
   In this case, I always feel that discussing the battle between  Science and Religion is masturbatory. Everybody knows that the opposing sides go no where with it, and it's an endless battle. Conversing over it, I guess, just seems like something to do when you're bored, and never truly serves an endpoint, other than "we'll never agree with each other, but lets just keep on debating till we die." Just more questions, doubt in the other side, and in the worst case scenario(but a small percentage), anger and hostility. Granted, anger and hostility comes from religious FANATICS majority of the time, but it's never right to assume all religious people would do the same.
   To me, the basis of Science and Religion is really a challenge between knowledge and faith: ie, "I have faith that you will do this", will always combat " I KNOW that you will do this." Knowing something will happen, always seems to have a neutral connotation to it. Bad things can come of it, and so can good things come of it, but the point is, it was known to happen anyway. The brain is wired this way, we can't help it. It's kind of the same reasoning as something hitting you in the gut: if the hit is known prior, the brain will try to prepare itself chemically and mentally, before hand. If it isn't known, and the hit comes out of no where, the brain doesn't have time to prepare, and pain sensors sometime go into overload. Where as faith comes into play, it's a matter of wanting to believe that something will happen. That something is expected without so much factual evidence. Could be possible that what ever it is, it's happened before, you've seen it with your own eyes, but you EXPECT it to happen again, rather than KNOW. And this is the problem.
   Now I know religion, in terms of definition, is NOT the same thing as faith, more so partners in crime with each other. However, don't these debates seem to always end up against a brick wall at this point, when knowledge is challenged against faith? Both parties are equally intelligent enough to at least know that the 2 word's definitions are not one in the same, yet one or the other keeps asking why? Seriously an endless circle jerk of people who aren't seeing the greater picture here...and I mean the fanatics of BOTH sides, not just one.
   For the time being, however, it's much easier to pick on religion, as it's outdated, and has far less firmware upgrades than that of Science. Science isn't totally perfect, however. It just has a better way of answering it's previous flaws and wrong answers by calling it's current statements "theories." It's kind of like saying "this is the answer for now, until proven wrong later on. If someone challenges us, we'll just tell them it was a theory, and that it wasn't concrete to begin with, and prone to change with future updates."...Science has built itself fairly well on this concept and it works fine, to be quite honest. We've gotten modern medicine, technology, and healthier because of it. But again, it's not perfect either. After all, we once thought the world was flat, and look what happened there(I know, I know, it's an easy target...but I had to ...).
   I guess to put it simply, I will agree with others in that Religion is flawed in many ways. It's also very hard to defend against a "science" man's perspective. But if there really is a true God out there, I'm sure our simple scientific theories will still NEVER fully understand it's entity and well being, or how it came into effect, probably because this God-like entity has been around for so long, that it's at a much higher intelligible level than we are. Also, I'm sure it moved on many billion years ago to other side projects, rather than dealing with a couple of living beings who debate over trite things such as this. I'm sure there are other living beings, possibly more advanced than us, that also have this same conversation, and also get no where with it. So I guess if it ever came down to it, and I were to meet this God, any question I would first ask him would probably have an answer something close to " Uhmmm, which Universe are you from again?"

*heh, such an abrupt sentence to end a long series of masturbatory paragraphs, that derive too far from the main subject. Oh the irony...*

You say that the Science and Religion Battle is pointless and will go on forever without conclusion, if I'm understanding you right (Tell me if I'm not).

I don't prescribe to any specific, predefined religion, per se, but through my own experience (of 13 years, not much but enough for me, now) I've come about with my own beliefs about life.
(I really like
Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it. )
I agree with you, Bob, but I don't think it's pointless.  Whenever I'm able to have a civilized discussion with someone over it, both of us know it will be to know end and neither of us is trying to convince the other.  That makes for a deeply satisfying discussion, and since I've made my own beliefs about life it helps me to really critically think about what I believe, and sooth out the kinks in logic, and both of us think it's good, deep, fun, and useful.

I am honestly sorry I don't have more to contribute, there are a lot of posts, and also I believe that whatever anyone thinks or believes, is true to them, and if it's true to them and they're satisfied then great.  So long as they're not trying to convince anyone to go with them, and even if they do I'm not going to try and change it, but it goes against my own beliefs.  Anyway, reading what I could of this is good, and even though it's a touchy subject I'm glad it's gotten this far without too many unpleasantries.

Toodles!
Shrike
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 04:12:42 am by Shrike »