AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1011164 times)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #310 on: January 26, 2009, 08:07:54 am
OKAY point taken, post edited with now 5%  less 'derisiveness'

I just really dont like it when someone goes for the control angle, where the whole arguement is about what he should be 'allowed' to be said, that's bullshit. if you think it's stupid call it out and be done with it.

I dont go into the whole how much of a boo-boo the comic is because I think that would be really really pointless.

I dont think anyone is truly interested in the matter of superstition in religion and science, since this discussion is all about one side vs the other, characterstic of the typical internet masturbatory action of using other people as cues for spouting your own monologues and then end the discussion with "I didnt even intend to change my oppinion anyway"
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 08:34:42 am by Conceit »

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #311 on: January 26, 2009, 08:12:27 am
The comic reminds me a bit of the metaphor Carl Sagan used in Demon Haunted World - Science as a Candle in the Dark:

"A fire-breathing dragon lives in my garage"

Suppose (I'm following a group therapy approach by the psychologist Richard Franklin) I seriously make such an assertion to you.  Surely you'd want to check it out, see for yourself.  There have been innumerable stories of dragons over the centuries, but no real evidence. What an opportunity!

"Show me," you say. 

I lead you to my garage.  You look inside and see a ladder, empty paint cans, an old tricycle -- but no dragon.

"Where's the dragon?" you ask.

"Oh, she's right here," I reply, waving vaguely.  "I neglected to mention that she's an invisible dragon."

You propose spreading flour on the floor of the garage to capture the dragon's footprints.

"Good idea," I say, "but this dragon floats in the air."

Then you'll use an infrared sensor to detect the invisible fire.

"Good idea, but the invisible fire is also heatless."

You'll spray-paint the dragon and make her visible.

"Good idea, but she's an incorporeal dragon and the paint won't stick." 

And so on.  I counter every physical test you propose with a special explanation of why it won't work.

Now, what's the difference between an invisible, incorporeal, floating dragon who spits heatless fire and no dragon at all?

« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 08:25:14 am by JJ Naas »

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #312 on: January 26, 2009, 09:18:41 am
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #313 on: January 26, 2009, 09:52:27 am
http://www.konjak.org/index.htm

Well done konjak, a ton of fun to play :)
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #314 on: January 26, 2009, 10:18:17 am
if I posted a joke in which a black dude said "fuck you" because I stole his chicken and grits, the entire forum would rightly call me a jackass, because it's not "cool" to harmlessly tease black people about food tastes, but it's apparently ok to characterize anyone and everyone who believes in any "Religion" as completely retarded.

A very big difference between the two is that someone is made black from the go but nobody is made Christian or Hindu or anything else (though religious fanatics would have you believe otherwise) and if they find that those beliefs are outmoded or anything else, they can drop them right then and there. You can't drop your skin color and all it entails. See, there is no 'racism' about ideas. Ideas are strong. They can take anything you throw at them. Their feelings don't get hurt. Don't get your feelings hurt in their place out of some sense of misplaced loyalty to an idea.

This isn't to say the comic is good or even very poignant for me and yeah I'm more interested myself in understanding religious people than painting a caricature of them most of the time (I know my black goat of the underworld posts I make sometimes might suggest otherwise, but I'm mainly just kidding). But, unlike by black people, I have been in my life mistreated and repressed by religious people and they've carried along world-wide atrocities in the names of their gods, so it's not 'sacred ground' for me. Crude, even completely tasteless jokes are fair play when children have died for your god. It's not the same as a completely coincidental skin color.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #315 on: January 26, 2009, 02:14:18 pm
I see that a common belief here is that religion = dragons and that convictions are not a defining characteristic, nor something to be offended for when it is attacked, let alone something to defend.  The second is a point I am willing to drop, but the first is entirely false.

I also see that anyone who takes the minority position here will have his words twisted.  Reread my posts : nobody but the author of the strip and people who completely agree with it is included.  And no, anybody who talks about dragons or getting swallowed by whales or such things as defining a faith - whether they believe in these things or not - do not properly represent or understand "religion" (as a whole) so to assert such a viewpoint is to be misguided.  Further, I never said anything about who should be allowed to post what.  I am anti-censorship and pro-discourse; i merely find the views presented in the comic and supported by some members of the community to be flawed.

Helm's post I will address separately, and not the arguments, which I found grounded, but the concept of religious murder : People who murder men and children in the name of god are filthy, filthy people who should not be identified with all other religious people because they violate the will of god in doing so, and twist it - I neither defend nor associate with such.  The Sixth Commandment as well as a myriad of other passages strictly forbid it*.  The USSR and China though were "atheist" states; my only point - let's not try and take a tally, and let's not say all religious people are crusaders and terrorists in the same way that I haven't suggested that all atheists are soviets.  On either "side" as well you'll find philanthropists, educators, civil protectors, and other people whose work has a certain expectation of good will (as well as those properly possessed of it).  And again, most of these people on one side are also the people on the other side because there are no sides to begin with between science and faith unless someone says there are.
However, you are right.  Religion is a choice and must be a choice else it is self-defeating.  A more appropriate comparison would be a comic which characterizes all police officers as wife-beaters.

*we can discuss the first book of Samuel, Angels in the House of Lot, and other less-than-comfortable passages from the bible in another place, if you desire.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #316 on: January 26, 2009, 02:54:26 pm
To say that the comic is a flimsy allegory is giving it a lot of credit. The message is "Haha religious people are stupid because atheists know EVERYTHING ABOUT THE UNIVERSE EVER!"
This isn't even a halfway decent contribution to any discussion of atheism versus theism. It's more like the fat little kid who jumps in the middle of that conversation and just starts kicking everyone in the balls. It's the sort of thing that could only be concocted in an age of internet trolls.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 02:57:34 pm by Ben2theEdge »
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #317 on: January 26, 2009, 03:04:44 pm
I see that a common belief here is that religion = dragons and that convictions are not a defining characteristic, nor something to be offended for when it is attacked, let alone something to defend.  The second is a point I am willing to drop, but the first is entirely false.

Please keep in mind that when discussing matters such as these words such as "entirely false" stand to incite more a drastic reaction than thoughtful reply. Nobody can say for sure what is right and what is false in the issues of morality and ultimately religious ontology and what have you. So for someone that is saying his words get twisted around please try to keep a tighter reign on your words. That is, if you are interested in a civil discussion and not in just carving a circle around you and stating the interior to be your ground. I for one, give you your ground willingly, don't call it right and what other people say false. There are on the point, very many people that self-identify with their deity on the level of the magical invisible dragon so who are you to sweep them under the rug because you happen to disagree in your more spiritualist (? I am assuming here) version of faith.

I also see that anyone who takes the minority position here will have his words twisted.

On that note please stop persecuting yourself, you're not being more misunderstood than anybody else but actually telling people they should work harder to understand you is a surefire way to get them to react even more. If you are really misunderstood why don't you try "I'm sorry, perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough and I'll restate" instead of "read my posts again"? It puts the burden of being clear on you - where it rightly belongs imo. You're not writing a book where the reader can do nothing but re-read if he doesn't understand something, you're just discussing.

Reread my posts : nobody but the author of the strip and people who completely agree with it is included.  And no, anybody who talks about dragons or getting swallowed by whales or such things as defining a faith - whether they believe in these things or not - do not properly represent or understand "religion" (as a whole) so to assert such a viewpoint is to be misguided.

There are many ways to look at religion.

Helm's post I will address separately, and not the arguments, which I found grounded, but the concept of religious murder : People who murder men and children in the name of god are filthy, filthy people

Actually shouldn't we be more compelled from a christian point of view - such as yours - to understand and ultimately forgive these people for their actions? Isn't that the central idea of your faith? No human being is my enemy no matter what he was ever done (and I'm not even Christian) and I try to not call people filthy or wrong, although sometimes poking fun at them is sanity-saving.

who should not be identified with all other religious people because they violate the will of god in doing so, and twist it - I neither defend nor associate with such.

Perhaps you should spend more time associating with them and not judging them before you defend your Christian faith so fervently on the internet.

let's not try and take a tally, and let's not say all religious people are crusaders and terrorists in the same way that I haven't suggested that all atheists are soviets.

Please consider this argument:

1. Not all theists are murderers.
2. Not all atheists are murderers.
3. The motives of theists for murder might be spiritual or not.
4. The motives for atheists for murder are always not.

Therefore the spirituality of the theists might not account for all their murdering but it certainly accounts directly for some of it, and that some is plenty. Millions in fact.

I posit that a human being that has had to question divinity to the point where they no longer espouse any sect or established faith is less likely to murder for such abstract ideas. This is a relatively unfounded position and as such I'm willing to argue it, but let's not 'not keep a tally' please.

However, you are right.  Religion is a choice and must be a choice else it is self-defeating.  A more appropriate comparison would be a comic which characterizes all police officers as wife-beaters.

Yes that comic would be a ridiculous one. Probably funny though!

*we can discuss the first book of Samuel, Angels in the House of Lot, and other less-than-comfortable passages from the bible in another place, if you desire.

I'd rather not. My problem with God is not with how misunderstood his words are. It is an epistemological and ontological one. The universe I experience doesn't seem to allow for uncontrolled, eternal, super-powerful entities that create themselves and are not subject to thermodynamic laws so it's been many many years since I played the "let's pretend there is a God, then the book is wrong where it says....". The notion of a God, as it has been explained to me by those that seem to believe in him, is completely absurd. Their desires to believe in him are not and I sympathize because the world is really scary.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #318 on: January 26, 2009, 03:06:06 pm
I see that a common belief here is that religion = dragons and that convictions are not a defining characteristic.

Political stances and tastes in art are also a defining characteristic of a person and for some reason it's allowed to criticize those, but not religion. Anything man made should be allowed to be criticized. Often in discussing religion there's no polite way of saying that have you been considering that you may have wasted your life believing in nonsense, but I don't think that should stop anyone discussing religion. If someone finds it offensive, so what?

I'm an agnostic myself because if I said I were an atheist it'd be reasonable to ask me to prove that God DOESN'T exist, which is impossible, so for practical reasons I just consider the existence of God to be very unlikely, simply because the universe seems to be operating perfectly well AS IF there was no God.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 03:21:44 pm by JJ Naas »

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #319 on: January 26, 2009, 03:21:27 pm
I'd rather not. My problem with God is not with how misunderstood his words are. It is an epistemological and ontological one. The universe I experience doesn't seem to allow for uncontrolled, eternal, super-powerful entities that create themselves and are not subject to thermodynamic laws so it's been many many years since I played the "let's pretend there is a God, then the book is wrong where it says....". The notion of a God, as it has been explained to me by those that seem to believe in him, is completely absurd. Their desires to believe in him are not and I sympathize because the world is really scary.

Helm correct me if I'm wrong but you seem to be saying you'd find the concept of God more believable if he were subject to the laws of the system he programmed. If God exists and he created the physical universe (which I am a strong proponent for) then he would have to operate within a far bigger system than the physical universe. Otherwise everything would be God, or nothing would be God. So God could exist outside the universe and still effect it just as a computer programmer exists outside of an operating system.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 03:25:37 pm by Ben2theEdge »
I mild from suffer dislexia.