AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1013583 times)

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #140 on: November 20, 2008, 04:36:26 am
I have ONE complaint.

Those annoying friggin' spiky vines don't look dangerous. I ger hurt, and I'm like wut. Practically every time those stupid things show up I land on them and get pwnt.

None of the enemies are hard (actually, none of 'em pose a challenge once you understand your attacks[aka jumpy spinning slash + direction = success]) and jumping around and stuff is fun. Found myself climbing to the top of the last room and free-falling off of it a couple times, just to watch the falling animation again and again.

Love the art and animations.

Love the little effects like the sun moving separately from the rest of the background and the birds flying all over the place.

Love the tiny little clovers for health.

Love the music.

It's friggin' awesome, dude. If you knuckleheads (<3) just buckled down and put some actual meat into it, took it away from being the sandbox it currently is, then it seriously has the potential to be right up there with Cave Story on the indie games front.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #141 on: November 20, 2008, 05:09:14 am
They don't look dangerous?
I'll keep that in mind :)

This was just the first area of the game so all the enemies are pretty basic.
And yeah, part of the reason we're restarting development is because of how little planning we did.
We've already planned out more than we ever did for Twinsen, so I think we'll deliver meat-wise :P

thanks
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile

Reply #142 on: November 20, 2008, 05:21:02 am
same dude, I kept inadvertently jumping on those spikey vines, i never noticed 'em ... :sry:

awesome game though yo.

and yeah, my computer sucks a lot, and the game ran down my virtual memory to the point where that little bubble pops up :O

Offline skamocore

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/10442.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #143 on: November 20, 2008, 06:43:56 am
I really have to say I hate how the game constantly punishes you. Like what Willows said about the spiky things. But also things like when you are jumping up to get to the top of one of the levels and then make a mistake, you fall back down to the bottom of the screen. That would be punishment enough, but it just so happens that there is a lake directly under where you are climbing and not only do you get punished by losing your climbing progress you also have to restart the whole level again since you die if you touch water.

Also there was a section where you can choose either to go left or right, neither direction you can see what lies ahead, but both directions mean you have to fall downwards somewhere. If you choose left you plummet into a lake area, where you get trapped with a heap of dragonflies. Then you are just left to die there, since I assume it's impossible to get out of. All of this because you chose to explore one direction instead of another.

And to make it worse you actually *lose* quite a few points for having to restart.

Other than that, the graphics were beautiful and they probably kept me playing the game longer than I would've normally. I love the colours you picked and I liked the random rocks that appear in the foreground occasionally, I think that was a nice touch. Great animation too.

Also, what does the ball do?

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #144 on: November 20, 2008, 07:10:28 am
I really have to say I hate how the game constantly punishes you. Like what Willows said about the spiky things. But also things like when you are jumping up to get to the top of one of the levels and then make a mistake, you fall back down to the bottom of the screen. That would be punishment enough, but it just so happens that there is a lake directly under where you are climbing and not only do you get punished by losing your climbing progress you also have to restart the whole level again since you die if you touch water.
Well, I'm pretty much an expert at the game as one would expect, so it's hard to gauge a good level of difficulty.
But I want it to be difficult, it makes the feeling so much more rewarding when you master the controls or discover a secret.

Also there was a section where you can choose either to go left or right, neither direction you can see what lies ahead, but both directions mean you have to fall downwards somewhere. If you choose left you plummet into a lake area, where you get trapped with a heap of dragonflies. Then you are just left to die there, since I assume it's impossible to get out of. All of this because you chose to explore one direction instead of another.
I think in just about all the areas where you can chose to explore, one path will be harder than the other but it will provide rewards such as health units, or point bushes.
I tried to establish a style to the level design that players could recognize and adapt to, I guess it wasn't as readable as I'd have hoped, but regardless- level design will be quite different in the new game.
Also, when facing dragon flies, just do the jumping spin slash attack, pretty much the best move in the game.

And to make it worse you actually *lose* quite a few points for having to restart.
We decided against a live system because that would mean eventually losing all your points at gameover, so we went with fining the player I think 10% of their total points, another part of the game that we won't be carrying into the new game

Other than that, the graphics were beautiful and they probably kept me playing the game longer than I would've normally. I love the colours you picked and I liked the random rocks that appear in the foreground occasionally, I think that was a nice touch. Great animation too.
Thanks, the graphics will remain in the same style :)

Also, what does the ball do?
The ball can be used to knock out the plant enemies, bounce moles into enemies and scare dragonflies away.
The basketball hoop in level5 kinda hints at things to come, but you'll have to wait for the new game to see some of the puzzles/etc we had in mind

thanks for playing :)
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #145 on: November 21, 2008, 06:15:49 am

:O

222 and 777

Offline Raytheon

• bepp bepp
    • View Profile

Reply #146 on: November 21, 2008, 06:35:36 am
222 i only have 1 :(
i am a computern

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #147 on: November 21, 2008, 08:04:29 am
Five AND a cookie (that I don't know how I got O_o)

Huzzah! Power to the Willows!

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #148 on: November 21, 2008, 11:37:49 am
222 i only have 1 :(
(Panda is an Admin, he cheats D:<)

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #149 on: November 21, 2008, 12:07:36 pm
They always have to cheat don't they? Now who stole my cookie  ::)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 12:13:09 pm by TrevoriuS »