AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1013199 times)

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #30 on: October 25, 2008, 11:09:24 pm
I doubt many members if any here would turn down a good lego session
and happy birthday noe :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 12:11:27 am by .TakaM »
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #31 on: October 28, 2008, 12:26:07 am

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #32 on: October 28, 2008, 06:27:24 am
The parody is just as entertaining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A9fmnAsgdg

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #33 on: October 29, 2008, 01:36:52 pm
Why the crap do all the good games come out like the same week? Even if I had money to buy them all I don't have time to play them!
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #34 on: October 30, 2008, 04:09:57 pm
It was dark, raining and fallen leaves everywhere today on the way home on the bus. Quite pretty actually, the city was all sparkly like. I saw a dumbster on the side of the road with old chairs, beds and such. A poor looking man hopped on there and started scavenging. Social pre-programming said "this man is pathetic" while logic said "this man is awesome". Awesome because he probably consumes only a fraction of what i do. I felt a bit like an ass gripping my new videogame. After many years of trying to shake these combat ready thoughts on what's cool and what's not, they still surface all the time. Always using logic on everything doesn't work very well cause it's simply extremely inefficient and slow compared to your subconscious thinking. It's been proven that one's brain can be retooled quite a bit, so i guess i just need more exercise in consciousness raising.

So i just bought Red alert 3, almost bought Fallout 3 and i don't feel like playing either anymore. I probably will later, just to satisfy my vanity.
In a nutshell, what I'm saying Ben2, is that you can easily reason yourself out of buying all the new games. Wanting to buy more than enough is just a little devil talking in the back of your head. You surely have access to far more entertainment than what would be sufficient to satisfy you.

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #35 on: October 30, 2008, 04:29:43 pm
Yes, but everyone else is playing them and you gotta keep up. I missed out on a lot of PS2 classics (Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Ico, etc.) and it's going to be harder for me to get into them now that they are last generation (must dust off PS2), especially with all the new games I want to play (Dead Space, Fallout 3, Bioshock, Resistance 2).  It would be nice to freeze time for a while...

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #36 on: October 30, 2008, 06:03:13 pm
I think it's not bad at all to play games very late. I got Homeworld 2 last weekend for 2€ and i have to say it still has some very amazing things. It's a game made with a relatively small team, little resources and such, but still packs quite an epic punch compared to anything on the market now. Also the simple animatics + voice overs are far more convincing to me than 90% of the cutscenes that I've seen in the past few years.

Oh and i gotta add that Dead Space has been a lot of fun. Incredible sound. Sometimes the noise of an engine room suffocates all the other sound (even here in the house  :-X), or the vacuum of space has no sound at all except for things that are in contact with your suit. I must apologize to my neighbors after i finish the game......

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: October 30, 2008, 07:39:51 pm
It really depends, though. Some games are classic, and you can afford to miss them... but some games, despite awesome reviews and great reception upon realease, die faster as time goes by.

Take, for example, Super Metroid. Still a wicked game, even though it's ancient. I play that sucker usually once a year and still enjoy it (thanks in large part to my never-using-walkthroughs or guides policy) and I don't find anything in the game atrocious. Cave story, same thing. The graphics are simple, work, and haven't necessarily been madly surpassed by anything. The gameplay is still solid, the music still fits... it all just works.

Now, I've gone through my life having played two Final Fantasy games. Those two would be Final Fantasy 6 (SNES) and FFX (Playstation2?). Any time I talk to a FF fanboy, they scream and vouch for FF7, as it's the best RPG in the world etcetera etcetera etcetera. A few months ago, I actually got my hands on a copy of FF7 and gave it a go.

It looks terrible (The enemies... explode? into a mess of broken triangles???), it sounds terrible(The sound made when enemies explode??), and I couldn't get past those two facts long enough to enjoy the story or gameplay. It wasn't the legend I was told it was simply because I was waay late on that train and have seen what can be. It's not that FF7 is or was a crappy game, so no fanboys diving down my throat, please. I just can't stand it because I can't relate to the restrictions of the time.

I also never played Katamari Damacy. If I wait too much longer, I betcha it'll lose its appeal.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: October 30, 2008, 09:31:07 pm
I also never played Katamari Damacy. If I wait too much longer, I betcha it'll lose its appeal.

Nah, probably not. Wait until a rainy day when you've almost forgot about it, then GO.

Katamari Damacy is like pacman but just so much better. The core gameplay is super solid and all the other things such as the graphic style, music, etc. help with adding to that. Since the gameplay is solid and the fluff fits in, it's super-non-gimmicky.

Just plain enjoyable. Nothing mind-blowing; except for the first time I played it when it actually blew my mind because I hadn't thought that games could be so free in their aesthetics; since then so many minds have been blown that those who haven't already played it expects miracles; you're not gonna get any, just play the game (:
' _ '

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #39 on: October 30, 2008, 09:40:06 pm
Totally agree with Jad. Also Katamari Damacy is one of the very few games that actually make me happy when I play it.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.