AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1004446 times)

Offline #36005A

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #2690 on: December 10, 2012, 03:52:39 am
I'm just north enough to have been raised in a different environment (Northern Virginia, the Land of the Politically Hypercorrect, Rich and Insensitive, Overly Self-Centered Democrats -- or so it seems.)

Oh hi, I'm also from NoVA.

Re: alcohol, having a bit of it with friends is plenty of fun. As with anything, going overboard with it is not going to be a good idea.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 03:56:24 am by #36005A »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #2691 on: December 10, 2012, 04:18:44 am
I don't much get the appeal of alcohol. I like to drink certain things, not most beers though (never got used to the taste and I am not gonna drink it until I am), and most stuff like wine or whiskey are lost on me, since I can not smell. As far as drinks go I always figure, might as well not drink alcohol, because it is cheaper and it does nothing for me. I do not even like a light buzz.

I was proper drunk 3 times in my entire life (last time summer 2007), and I think I can say that what I have consumed in my entire life others drink in a year or probably a lot less.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Reply #2692 on: December 10, 2012, 02:28:58 pm
Does anyone know why pixel art draws so much more attention from the general population when drawn in minecraft rather than just being drawn sanely?  Many of the revered pixels of the minecraft medium would barely even attract any attention in something like the pixeljoint gallery (assuming they weren't projected in a poorly coded time waster game -- otherwise, they wouldn't even pass into the gallery.)  It's not even like it's hard to build these pixels, too: http://www.diamondpants.com/spritecraft/ -- I assume it's because kiddies like 3-D vidya blocks or something?

Now, if many of these models were more 3-D, as in, not a picture simply converted into a 1-block thick viewing plane -- It would be a pretty neat phenomenon.  Voxels would actually be kind of cool.

Offline leroy

• Go with the flow
    • View Profile

Reply #2693 on: December 10, 2012, 03:25:59 pm
Far Cry 3 makes me gay! I keep playing it.  ::)

/joke

Actually I haven't played it in a while  :ouch:

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #2694 on: December 10, 2012, 07:10:09 pm
Does anyone know why pixel art draws so much more attention from the general population when drawn in minecraft rather than just being drawn sanely?  Many of the revered pixels of the minecraft medium would barely even attract any attention in something like the pixeljoint gallery (assuming they weren't projected in a poorly coded time waster game -- otherwise, they wouldn't even pass into the gallery.)  It's not even like it's hard to build these pixels, too: http://www.diamondpants.com/spritecraft/ -- I assume it's because kiddies like 3-D vidya blocks or something?

Now, if many of these models were more 3-D, as in, not a picture simply converted into a 1-block thick viewing plane -- It would be a pretty neat phenomenon.  Voxels would actually be kind of cool.

Legos.

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #2695 on: December 11, 2012, 01:10:55 am
In my observation people tend to be more entertained by showings of how accurately mainstream commercial works can be imitated and how well they can be presented rather than what kind of original work you can create (in Minecraft's case I am assuming with knowledge of how buildings and stone works are made). Combine that with a massively popular construction game with a pseudo-retro (that isn't truly vintage) look and it becomes a recipe for easy success.

At least that's why I think that is. There's no actual scientific research on matters such as this.

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #2696 on: December 11, 2012, 02:46:30 am
time waster game

Isn't that a little presumptuous? As a child I loved legos. Minecraft lets me play legos in a huge lego world with my friends. I'd say it's a pretty good use of time because I have fun :D

And most people who care about stuff like pixel art, care about it in some larger context. In a game, or whatever. Most people don't just like pixel art for pixel arts sake (and if they do, they are often a pixel artist themselves). Seeing pixelart creations in minecraft can be interesting because the person looking at it knows about the process that went into creating it. If they just look at some pixel art, they can only see it as a complete observer, oblivious to anything that went into it.

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #2697 on: December 11, 2012, 05:50:09 am
There's one thing I still want to try though, Absynth....because of all that hype

There are a staggering number of images of an Absinthe Fairy around the web, so you are not alone in your interest.  For example (linked for size):

http://cghub.com/images/view/268914/

Tourist

Offline API-Beast

• beast_pixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35725.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2698 on: December 11, 2012, 03:43:46 pm
The connection goes in the other direction, the art is popular because Minecraft became popular and not Minecraft became popular because of the art.

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Reply #2699 on: December 11, 2012, 11:16:20 pm
I am currently on a quest to kill an evil dragon that is guarding treasure stolen from my kingdom's coffers.

Well, the dragon is more like a malicious piece of software on my laptop called "Sendori", and the treasure is access to the TCP/UDP ports that TF2 uses to access servers.

I'd much rather face a dragon, really.

- Used the uninstaller.  Nope.

- Ended the Services associated with Sendori, and set them to never start up on boot.  They started up anyways, and were set back to "start on boot."

- Slew the program right in its nest in the cave of the Program Files (x86).  Blood lay everywhere, and countless KibiBytes of the malicious program fell right through the Limbo of the Recycle Bin and into the void of Windows' internal garbage collector.  Forced the sun to sink and rise by restarting the computer.  All of the files came right back on boot.

- Did all previous attempts with the addition of clearing the registry of all entries remotely related to Sendori.  The magic spell faltered -- the entries reappeared on boot, along with the files.

- Did a comprehensive cleanse of the whole system; deleted all files with even the word "Sendori" in it as well as *sendori*.* files, and other names associated with the program I discovered on previous attempts.  The dragon still lives.

- Did the same thing in Safe Mode boot with minimum drivers/services loaded.  Nope.

- Used the magic bullet -- NortonAV, Avast!, MalwarebytesAV, McAfee, and more all got a chance to scan everything from the inside-out.  They only found one or two completely unrelated and harmless tracking cookies.

TL;DR: Being a computer knight is pretty shitty.

I have one last resort, which is to quickly back up everything in my home folder to my other HDD and use the handy-dandy OS reinstall utility that my laptop came with (which I've used probably 3 times now...)  It's a solution that will obviously work, but I'm a bit depressed that it's the only solution that can mend things.

Anyone else here run into this little bugger yet?  It's a pretty silent stalker, so it's possible you have it and don't even know it.

~~~

With that, I have a question -- at what age did you guys begin your serious artistic pursuits (as in, started practicing to improve at a vigorous rate?)  My age is soon to reach 17, and I've only been seriously drawing for at least an hour a day for at most a month; I'm somewhat happy with my improvement over this period of time, but I'm curious to see how many people started at an age around mine, how many people started much older, and how many people have been doing it for as long as they can remember.  (Perhaps a lot of "I was [15 to 18] years old" responses will reassure me that I won't be 30 before I reach many of my improvement goals I've set for myself, somehow.)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 11:28:08 pm by Ashbad »