AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1004688 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #2670 on: November 26, 2012, 05:27:10 pm
A bit of an odd question, but is anyone familiar with book publishing? Specifically page formatting/margins and such. I have a friend who was close to getting her book published but they need some margins fixed. All I have is the PDF file she sent, that was given to her by I'm assuming whoever did the layout. Problem is the person can be a bit slow to reach and she was hoping to get it fixed up sooner than later.

Basically it's a PDF of a childrens book with about 20 pages and all illustrated, and from what I can tell it's designed to be printed with bleed... and I have absolutely no idea nor the tools to properly margin/size it for her.

I always use inDesign to save PDFs for books, is that available to you?  It has more options for margins and stuff than the rest of CS I think.

I don't have inDesign, but I have no tools at all for it so I've just been downloading everything I might be able to use. I mean, I was able to set the margins, but the problem is bleeding is a lot more complicated and I don't think I'll be able to set them right.

Can inDesign set the margin differently for gutters/top/bottom and such, and can I make the pages larger while keeping the current content the same size?

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #2671 on: November 26, 2012, 06:21:00 pm
inDesign has options for bleed/slug/margin with independent values for each edge.  I can probably help you out of you can't get it sorted out. 

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile
    • Doctor Who - Retro Sprite Gallery

Reply #2672 on: November 30, 2012, 11:29:07 pm
It's so damn frustrating when you know exactly what you want to be doing and getting on with but you can't because of some simple misunderstanding on someone else's part that prevents you from doing so for at least another month or two and even then it's not certain it will happen...

That feeling of being stuck in limbo when you just want to get a move on really sucks...
NES, Amiga & Amstrad CPC inspired
I know nothing about pixel art
http://carnivac.tumblr.com/

Offline #36005A

• View Profile

Reply #2673 on: December 06, 2012, 02:24:06 am
Excited to see the new game collaboration between AdamAtomic and Keita Takahashi as part of the LA Game Space project!

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #2674 on: December 08, 2012, 01:22:22 am
Ug, Black Ops II is so gay, I think it's giving me AIDS. Why do I keep playing it?

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Reply #2675 on: December 08, 2012, 02:56:43 am
Ug, Black Ops II is so gay, I think it's giving me AIDS. Why do I keep playing it?

What a wonderfully /pol/ evaluation of a wonderfully /pol/ game.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #2676 on: December 08, 2012, 04:38:09 am
I think more than being politically incorrect it makes blu sound incredibly homophobic. Sorry blu.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #2677 on: December 08, 2012, 07:15:16 am
Hm. Anyone bored/have time/want to do something free for a ludum dare game?

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Reply #2678 on: December 08, 2012, 01:31:52 pm
I've been trying to draw for days now, but I've been constantly drawblocked by TF2 -- until today.  The latest update broke the game for me again.  I can't find any servers (and this time, doing an extensive system scan, forwarding port 27015, killing any programs that might be intercepting that port, etc.) all are failing.  It's amazing that such an innocent game is keeping me from studying and drawing, perhaps I have an addictive personality -- sounds like I'd better stay away from 'dem beers when I turn 21  :-[

I think more than being politically incorrect it makes blu sound incredibly homophobic. Sorry blu.

Agreed, unless he's acting that way for comedic reasons as I suspect (calling everything "gay", because all of the 13 year olds who also play that game use it as an insult.)  If not... welcome to 2012, Blu!  :blind:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 01:34:46 pm by Ashbad »

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #2679 on: December 08, 2012, 09:24:35 pm

Agreed, unless he's acting that way for comedic reasons as I suspect (calling everything "gay", because all of the 13 year olds who also play that game use it as an insult.)  If not... welcome to 2012, Blu!  :blind:

I'm from the Dirty South. Nothing is sacred and everything is fair game for jokes. I call "Black Ops" "Black Cocks" and make fun of myself for being half black. I'm not sure a German could even begin to understand the kind of culture I was raised in. :lol:

And yes, using my Xbox LIVE headset has destroyed the higher functioning parts of my brain.